Sink The Bismarck!
BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
BrewDog

Scotland, United Kingdom
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!
Notes:
Reviews: 101 | Ratings: 223
Reviews by Tricerahops:

2.05/5  rDev -44%

Thank you to my friend Bob who unleashed this monster at his Superbowl gathering. It was... unforgettable

A: When the bottle was opened we were surprised to hear it pop. Still, no evidence of carbonation when poured, no head to speak of. The beer is a fairly clear deep dark amber.

S: The aroma sharply hits you with alcohol and hoppy herbal bitterness. It is very sharp and forewarns you of what is to come. Yes, there are also sherry and caramel aromas, but the sharp alcohol hoppy bitterness overwhelms.

T: Wow, I mean wow. A bitter peppery burning bomb goes off in your mouth. Many reviewers talk about the alcohol burn, that is to be expected at 41 abc, but what is amazingly intense is that bitter peppery burn. I suppose it is the bitter hops used, but it tastes like you are sucking wet peat dipped in Cayenne pepper. What I am trying to say is that I found this almost undrinkable it was so extreme. My lips puckered and burned, the back of my throat tightened.

My share of the bottle was poured into a 6 oz glass, I drank maybe 2 oz. If I took the tiniest of sips and nursed those two ounces over an entire day maybe I would have enjoyed it more. The half hour I actually spent drinking those two ounces was too much, too intense.

M: I do no know what to say about this, there was nothing wrong with the viscosity. But I actually found this mouth numbing. Did you ever get novocaine at the dentist and some of it drips on your tongue and burns and numbs at the same tie? It was like gargling with novocaine and napalm.

O: I suppose the brewers accomplished what they set out to do. It was certainly a memorable experience. It was an education in the extreme of what pure distilled alcohol infused bitter hop would taste like. I suggested to my friends that one or two DROPS of Sink the Bismarck in a regular IPA would probably add some nice flavor and complexity. Have you ever tasted vanilla extract, it is too much. But a few drops can make a delicious ice cream. Well this is the vanilla extract of beers and I found it undrinkable in this form.

Note: A few hours have past since my tasting and my mouth is still burning and numb. I hope I will be able to taste again.

1.66/5  rDev -54.6%

I decided to refrain from reviewing beer unless my feelings were very strong, one way or the other. Respectfully to prior reviews, I can't help but conclude that BrewDog is just laughing at every one of us. This beer simply must be a BrewDog prank.

It looks ok, although nothing special and actually opened with some carbonation pressure and there was a bit of carbonation.

The nose is actually wonderful to the extent that you smell huge, pure hops. I felt like I'd taken a handful of hops, squeezed and squeezed them in my hands and then smelled them. A good and complex honey/hoppy nose.

Then, I tasted it. Are you kidding? It is not drinkable. It is pure, strong hop oil. End of story. There is a brief second of sweet honey on the front of your tongue and then your palate is destroyed by hop oil; hop essence. You can't "drink" this - one must take a very small sip. Most of us at this tasting took a small "normal" taste and every single person either made a bad face, gagged or spit it out quickly. One guy saw the reaction of those tasting it before him and refused to taste it!

The hop bitter oil finish and flavor is such the palate wrecker that the flavor numbs your tongue and senses and it lasts for 45 minutes, no other beer or spirit or liquid "making it go away."

I've tasted well over 4,000 beers in the past 3-4 years. This is hands down the most offensive.
Just my opinion.

2.22/5  rDev -39.3%

Had it at this new bar in new haven called cask republic.

A- Golden in color, slightly hazy.
S- The smell is very impressive, very strong alcohol aroma, almost burns the nostrils. Strong hop smell overpowered by alcohol.
T- Taste more like a scotch/wiskey than a beer prob due to the high alcohol content. I feel the taste can be duplicated if you mix 1 part vinegar, 1 part Sambuka, and 2 parts jameson.
M-thick and burns most of the way down
D-not easily drinkable, the snifter I had was plenty.

I feel that some people are trying to justify spending so much on this beer by giving it a good rating. I consider it a waste of money, just brewdog trying to make the highest alcohol content beer but sacraficing taste while doing so.

The best thing about this beer, in my opinion, is you can say you drank a beer with 41% alcohol.

Nothing against brewdog either. I had the brewdog/stone bashah for the first time that night and that was top notch.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a scotch snifter.

Appearance: Pours an amber-honey color with a foamy, short-lived head that is a unique golden-straw color.

Aroma: Sweet, mild smell of alcohol, heavy fruit notes (something like plums and dark cherries that are a bit overripe), and a straw or grass aroma a bit reminiscent of the foam sold in hobby shops for flower arrangements.

Taste: The most striking taste is a (to me) cloyingly sweet molasses flavor accompanied by the burn of alcohol such as in scotch or whisky. The sweetness is partially offset by a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, like watered down honey. Unique and quite a treat.

Drinkability: Obviously this beer is not made to be consumed in large quantities (save for by those with fat wallets, cast iron constitutions, and venerable alcohol tolerance). I had trouble getting through 2oz of it because of the sweetness.

Overall: A really fascinating beer experience, although now that I have the bragging rights that go along with trying it I probably won't be getting another.

2.12/5  rDev -42.1%

Picked this up from my local liquor shop from "the back" yesterday, and have been eager to give it a try.

(As labeled on the bottle)
Batch: 009
Best before: 16/08/20

Pours a glowing, thick orange with no carbonation.

Smell is... difficult to perceive. I get a quick smell of malt before I feel overwhelmed by an aroma of alcohol. Then if I try too long to smell it, my eyes start burning.

Taste is unbelievably hoppy and burning. And it ends burning. Mouthfeel is quite... well, burning.

Personally, I hated writing this review. I love all the other beers Brewdog makes, so I'm surprised that I didn't enjoy this one and that my experience differed so much from others. I'd be interested in knowing if I just got a bad batch or if that's the way the beer is.

All this being said, I'm still excited to try Tactical Nuclear Penguin!

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Medium to deep amber with hints of orange.

Smell: Heavy fresh hop at the beginning. Mandarine oranges with a slightly burnt sugar aroma. Hints of a liqueur type smell.

Taste: Sweet and bitter orange at the same time. It has a scotch like taste in it, like a sherry wood finished 12 year old. Fresh cascade like hop aroma persists.

Mouthfeel: Hot. It has a weight to it like a liqueur does but the alcohol content hits hard at first. Once again it is reminiscent of a scotch on the finish.

Drinkability: It is a little disjointed, like it needs more time for all the flavors to coalesce. I may have tried it a bit too young but couldn't resist the urge. If you have bought this, give it some time to age.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%