Sink The Bismarck! | BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!
Liked This Beer
3.59 w/ 220 ratings
Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

BrewDog

Liked:
3.59/5
Alströms:

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.84/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%

5oz pour. Pours like syrup. Dark brown . Smells like hop oil, anise, and absinthe. Taste is similar with a burn like a neat whiskey. Drink tide beer for what it is

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle from brewdog Stockholm.

Still. Caramel bronze color.

Smell is of booze and dank, resinous hops. Nail polish remover.

Taste is the most bitter hop flavor imaginable. Weedy, dank, floral, resin. Sticky. Boozy. Bready malts. Earthy.

Medium bodied. Ends somewhat surprisingly clean for what it is.

This is a very interesting beer. It is like the whisky of hops. A few sips is enough. Basically liquid hops and booze.

A fun novelty beer to try, but not something I'd try again.

4.51/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

OK, OK, it's a gimmick ... and an aged IPA, at that.

Coppery but clear brew. No head.

Smells...potent. Strong alcohol, caramel, and feet?

Doesn't taste all as bad as it smells. Very hot; tons of caramel; stale hops; sherry and port; citrus and pine; fruit cake. Still not something I'd drink normally...or ever again.

For a beer that clocks in at whisky strength, it's not as hot as it could be. It is more flavorful and fruity, as well.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

I feel the tagline for any critique of this is "what do you expect from a novelty beer"?

Shared with 5 friends in a cabin in the woods at Mt Hood.

Pour is flat, viscous, orange. Strong booze and hops smell. Taste is strong plasticy licorice that doesn't get any more pleasant the more you drink. Boozy sweet hops, sickly and quite unpleasant.

Treating it as IPA concentrate, I finished off one of the other friends glass (they couldn't, I don't blame them) by adding in some soda water. This for sure make is more of a sane drink, and really quite close to a re-hydrated IPA, but there was still that strong medicinal licorice plastic taste that made it nasty to drink.

You could argue it is fun to try once, but in all honesty only to say I have done it. For me, there are no redeeming features, I'd say avoid and go for something brewed for taste, not for some ABV arms race.

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

2.07/5  rDev -42.3%

Tried as part of a magnificent trifecta (This beer, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and Dogfish Head 120)
Many thanks to my friend Brandon for providing the experience. As with my review of tactical Nuclear Penguin, this is a love/hate relationship. My brain is is in love with the fact that I even got to try this rarity, yet my tastebuds were in agony. This was split amongst 8 people and the reactions while trying this were so intense that one of the group actually recorded it!
Pours a dark brown similar to TNP, no carbonation, with a heavy malt/alcohol/hops aroma. Now for the bad part, the taste was almost mortifying. All of us that tried it had to go mind over matter to finish our samples. It was extremely harsh, due to its concentration and high ABV. It took all of us a while to finish our samples, and we did so only because of the rarity and price. I'm glad I can count myself as one of the few who have tried this, but there was a price to pay. I wouldn't try this again if someone gave it to me for free (Sorry!)

3.89/5  rDev +8.4%

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- The pour is just like a pour of bourbon. It is a light to medium copper in body and has tons of alcohol legs. There is no head or lacing to speak of.

S- Honey and booze greet the nose right up front in a hot and potent assault on the nostrils. It is fairly sweet up front in scent but the booze burns your nose hairs on the back. There is also a bit of hopping present in the nose but it takes a backseat to the sweetness and booze.

T- This beer hits the tongue with a pinch of malty alcohol booziness. The honey and hops flavors intermingle for a short burst of sweetness and then a punch hops bitterness. If I had to give an overall impression it would be somewhere between a whiskey and an herbal liqueur. Long lingering hops bitterness and burn on the tongue.

M- What can I say, it's potent and hot with little to no carbonation detectable. It's like drinking a fermented malt version of bourbon.

Overall, I recognize that this is a novelty beer, but it also no slouch of a liquor-like beer either. God help any soul that has a whole bottle.

4.59/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: A nice translucent amber colour. A little more watery (in terms of how fluid it was in the glass) than I expected.
S: Booze. Hops. Booze. Hops. Cannot even bring the glass to lips without booze attacking the nostrils and causing a cough.
T: Like the nose, only much more pleasant. I imagine this is what hops drenched in whiskey must taste like. A pinnacle of what one would expect a 41% IPA to taste like.
F: Thick syrupy, with a lot of heat and hops lingering. Not bad though
O: Quite an interesting experience...now to try and track down their other absurd ABVs

4.46/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I vaguely remember hearing about this beer in a comparison to Sam Adam's Utopia, but I didn't really have much context to place it with, otherwise. When I happened to move to Edinburgh, it was only a matter of time before I wound up ordering this brew from their pub. Had in tulip glass from a bottle at the pub in Edinburgh, UK (where it is still available as of November, 2015).

L: No carbonation or head, dark amber, mostly translucent.

S: Hops, caramel, toffee, and a touch of malt. Very boozy.

T: Hop and caramel forward. Similar to the nose, but richer. The booze is still very present, but not overwhelming (at least if you're used to drinking neat spirits on the regular). A very weird combination on the palate, but not unpleasant at all. The more I drank it, the more I liked it. Very unique.

F: Smooth and almost silky, especially for the high abv. Pleasant burn from the ABV, but not bad at all.

O: A very unique experience. If you like whisk(e)y and beer, it's certainly worth a try. Probably not something I'll be drinking on a regular basis, but it's definitely a nice change of pace to the copious amounts of macro-garbage that permeates most bars in this city. A fun take on spirits that, with a bit more availability, I would probably throw into some cool cocktails.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not bad but not really beer....more like a port wine.

2.72/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.87/5  rDev -20.1%