Sink The Bismarck! | BrewDog

good
Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by femALEist on 03-23-2010

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

I shared a bottle of this with 4 friends and still took some home to enjoy at a later date.
Pours a cloudy deep orange/amber color with no head at all. Smells of serious pine, citrus, resinous hops and lots of alcohol. Not the good kind of alcohol mind you we are talking about solvents and rubbing alcohol. There's a sweet fruitiness in the aroma I imagine apricots covered in corn syrup. As my sample warms the fruit disappears and is replaced with hopped rubbing alcohol. The taste is unique! Strong, burning alcohol with resinous hops covered in a sugary glaze. Slightly smokey taste in the middle somewhere. There is a long lingering hop bitterness mixed with alcohol burning in the finish. I can feel this beer burn its way down my throat into my stomach. Thick chewy body with a sticky syrupy mouthfeel and light level of carbonation. I'm glad I got to try this unique "beer." Smooth it is not! Beer it is not! 41% abv it is and I can taste and smell every bit of alcohol in my glass. As is I find this kind of meh, but if this were put into some oak and allowed to mellow out some, this might make a damn fine spirit.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle generously shared by thetomG. Served in a 3 Floyds tasting snifter. First batch, without the resealable bottle.

A - Surprisingly carbonation here. While a hard pour doesn't rouse much foam, there are tons of bubbles present in the transparent dark amber body, and a partial ring is formed on the surface.

S - The smell is actually fairly pleasant, with a nice blend of caramel and red fruit malts, tropical hops, and present but relatively restrained alcohol presence. More malt and less booze than I anticipated.

T - The taste also starts out quite promising, and is exactly what you'd expect if you distilled a high-ABV IIPA. Citrus and tropical hops with caramel and brown sugar malts. The alcohol doesn't manifest much in the flavor, but rears its head in the finish when it combines with some fierce hop bitterness. Starts as a 4.0, but ends as more of a 2.0, so I'll split the difference I guess.

M - Oh God, it burns! Warming and biting alcohol all the way from the back of the throat to the belly. Super, super, dry, with some surprising carbonation tingle. Viscous full body.

D - I actually kind of liked this beer, and it's exponentially better than Tactical Nuclear Penguin. If you go in expecting a hop liquor you shouldn't be too disappointed. Definitely overpriced, but far from undrinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle by James Watt of BrewDog. Thanks, James. Beer is carbonated but the evidence disappears quickly into an orange and hazy beer that leaves a ton of legs on the sides of the glass. I'm fascinated by this behavior of the beer. A real novelty. No head, no lacing.

This is the strongest aroma overall I have ever experienced in a beer. It is lots of hops. The strongest hop aroma I have ever experienced. Lots of alcohol, my eyes were watering. I kept smelling it out of some masochism or some other primal impulse of self abuse. Very awesome.

Beer is thin and holy hell hoppy. Its like hop infused vodka. Very forward, very aggressive. I think I may be blind. Holy crap. I've never had something like this. Last beer for sure (for the record the 15% barleywine my wife was drinking tasted like nothing after this). Just an insane beer.

Drinkability...well. I couldn't drink much of it. When I started to drink it, I coughed. Hard. Don't inhale before you take a sip. Crazy. Glad I did it.

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%

A: poured a caramel brown with yellow highlights that had absolutely no head what so ever and zero lacing.

S: damn beer burnt the shit out of my nose hairs on the first whiff, there really is no way to hide that much amount of alcohol. It is also very hard to sniff out other ingredients when the beer kept hurting my nose but I did get some caramel malt and hops for sure.

T: there is a stupid amount of alcohol that punches your palate right away and does burn like your taking a shot of tequila. It is super hot and to my surprise the hops do pop out and are very tasty which also had the caramel malts.

M: medium body with very low amount of carbonation that had an overwhelming amount of alcohol and tasty hop bite finish.

D: the beer is actually very tasty but damn the alcohol hits you in all directions. I'm still glad I got to try this booze bomb at least once.

Bottle served at the Common Table in Dallas.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the alcohol along with some brown sugar and piney hop notes. The beer smells a lot like a super-hopped American Barleywine.

The flavor is more of the same with a few notes added. I get a ton of alcohol - which is expected when the beer is 82 proof. However, as the beer warms, I also get a lot of the resiny and piney hops, as well as a lot of caramel malt. There is a ton of alcohol in the flavor and the beer is very warming as you drink it. It may not taste like 41 percent, but the beer definitely tastes like a drink that is 15 plus percent alcohol by volume. That being said, even with all of the alcohol, the beer is drinkable and tastes like a quadruple IPA or whatever BrewDog wants to classify this beer.

The beer is completely flat and has a medium to full mouthfeel. A very interesting beer. Not sure if it is worth the price, but definitely something worthy of trying one time if you can get it at the right price.

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Sink The Bismark! is best drank in a small portion from a really large glass. Dingy golden, it is a shabby looking beer that lacks both highlights and head. As any designated driver can tell you, it's difficult to remove a beer's alcohol without compromising its flavour in the process. The reverse is true too; too much alcohol makes it difficult to appreciate a beer. The burnt sugar, honey, citrus and pine notes of this bouquet are overrun by boozy dark fruit esters.

Peoples' first reaction to a four-times-frozen 41% beer is to ask whether it should even still be considered "real" beer. Well, somewhat surprisingly, this still tastes strongly reminiscent of one; forwardly hoppy, it showcases a ton of resinous pine flavour as well as grapefruit and dried mango and papaya slices. It actually proffers some recognizable maltiness too in the form of caramel squares and scorched toffee.

That's not to say, however, that it tastes entirely like a regular beer. Brewdog has enough barrel-aged and double-digit alcohol offerings to qualify as a distillery - which is just as well because they're not great brewers - and, indeed, alcohol dominates in this one. These esters could warm all of Siberia. It tastes like raisins that have been macerated in cognac.

The burning in my throat aside, I honestly find it surprisingly drinkable for its strength (this is speaking relatively). It's only my first time trying Sink The Bismark! but I assume it's matured in the three years since it was brewed. That said, whereas most stronger beers are overwhelmingly 'hot' or bitter for the first minute until one becomes accustomed, there's no getting accustomed to this. It only grows more and more syrupy, and less and less agreeable.

Many people are probably impressed by a 41% alcohol beer. It sounds complicated to brew, but you know what else is? A dry stout with the appropriate amount of roast; a Kölsch that's both clean and flavourful; a flawlessly balanced Pilsner. These styles are so simple that they provide nothing to hide behind and concede little room for error. They may be more straightforward but they're no less difficult to make (and can be equally impressive).

Sink The Bismark! may be too extreme but let’s not forget part of its purpose is to correct the other end of the scale: industrial sameness and blandness. Of course, that's not it's only purpose; Brewdog is more about selling beer than making it. They may be among the best publicists and advertisers in the world, but they're far from the best brewers. Where do you draw the line? I'd say here would have been a good place.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

This is insane; 41% ABV...

A: Pours hazy amber with no head.

S: Lots of syrupy sweet dark dried fruits. Liqorice. Roast and alcohol. Some oak notes.

T: Sweet caramell, roasted malt. Lots of dark dried fruits. Molasses and vineous. Spices and alcohol. Like an aged Port. Liqourice.

M: Aftertaste lingers with sweet notes along with faint bitterness. Body is full and carbonation at a minimum.

O: Actually, this was smoother than and not as rough as Tactical Nuclear Penguin - better balanced.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml corked and caged bottle into tulip a few weeks back, from notes

A brownish amber, no bubbles, no lace, long thin legs and it leaves a little color on the glass, looks like a sticky spirit and I suppose it should at this point

S there's a booze sting on deep whiffs but if their wasn't I'd be worried, loads of caramel, lots of raisin, pine, citrus, burnt brown sugar and more caramel

T still heavy on the heat but that's to be expected, piney caramel concentrate, tastes like a hop spirit, I like it much more then I thought I would

M syrup, not syrupy its syrup, hot, numbing, and flat, my lips are stuck together and I'll be tasting pine and caramel tomorrow at this rate

O way better then I expected, I really liked this stuff, I'm kinda wishing I saved a little to put on a cheesecake, I could see that working well

I did a flaming shot of beer, not many people can say that I'm sure. this was a surprise for me, I thought this would be a drain pour but I actually liked it a fair bit but I doubt I'd drop another 100$ on one

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

330 ml bottle, Batch 009, best before 16-08-20. I've had this bottle for at least a year so I know it's not exactly fresh. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with a very small fizzy cola-like head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing at all. It also has legs like liquor does when I swirl the beer around the glass. Aroma is mostly boozy, it also smells like dried fruits, apricots, candied oranges, plums, caramel and some hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like sweet booze, dried/candied and tropical fruit, pine hops, honey, and also an herbal/medicinal flavor. It's weird, I can feel the alcohol burn going down my throat when I drink it, but the other flavors linger around a while in the finish so I can actually taste something other than the booze. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's syrupy, slick and coating with low carbonation. I have to say it's a unique brew, and overall I did like it. I'd try it again in the future, but next time I should probably split the bottle with someone instead of drinking it all myself.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

So, this is a really interesting beer. At 41% I had no clue what to expect from it.

The aroma is good but not as amazing as I had hoped. I had gone in not knowing what to expect but thinking that the hop aroma would be big. What I got was a big, malty, alcoholic aroma with notes of toffee and a touch of fruitiness. Interesting and appetising but not the hop bomb I thought I would get.

Appearance wise it was a pretty clear, gold-amber colour with a small, very short lasted off-white head. Slightly oily. Actually very good given the alcohol content.

The taste was something different to anything I've ever had before. Big punch alcohol, massive malt, huge resinous hop oils and a rounding note of citrus. The whole thing came together in a really interesting way that was half spirit, half beer. To be honest, I wanted more hop flavour to counteract the staggering bitterness but I still enjoyed it.

The mouthfeel was both surprising and delightful. Big, oily and mouth-coating but still with a healthy dose of carbonation which helped to cut it just a little bit.

I really like this. It didn't entirely do what I wanted it to do but it was a stunning example of what you can do as a brewer if you really think about it and try something different. I went in relatively ambivalent about whether this was going to be good or bad but after trying it, I think it is at least worth trying. Thanks to Ross from Craftbrewer for giving me a chance to try this.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a wine glass.

A: Golden-orange, and murky-clear. No head, although this is probably a misleading fact, since I only poured an ounce or two. I was told that, poured in large(r) quantities, heavy lacing was inevitable.

S: Mmmm, tons of hops with a dash of citrus. It smells like a strong double IPA or Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot barleywine. Sticky caramel scents. There is nary a trace of alcohol, save mayhap a bit of harshness on the edges of the aroma. This unnerves me. A beer of 41% should smell...fiercer. BrewDog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32%) smells like liquor, but Sink the Bismarck! just smells like beer.

T: Allegedly a "quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times" (forget the lack of parallelism). It's way better than I expected! Not too harsh, but sweet, with caramel and strong honey. Massive malts more than balance the hop bitterness. This particular bottle is distilled from the Punk IPA, rather than the Hardcore IPA, supposedly resulting in a sweeter, syrupy flavour, whereas the double IPA creates a more astringent bitterness (this according to the BrewDog representative with whom I conversed). The endtaste is simply marvellous, not overly strong or objectionable in any way, but *is* reminiscent of spirits. The aftertaste is epicly long and maltily bitter. Just wow.

M: Smooth, sweet, and notably NOT numbingly strong. Great for what it is.

D: Amazingly, transcendentally drinkable considering the ABV. Seriously, this is a dangerously good beer. I could very well polish of a glass of this with relish, only to experience the ill effects afterwards. Absolutely recommended, but honestly, not worth the exorbitant price tag. Still, I will keep an eye out for more opportunities to sample it.

Amber color leaving alcohol marks in the glass. Don’t even think about a head, or carbonation.
Sweet malt and woody aroma, smells like cognac. Strangely I could get some pineapple out of it.
Similarly, it tastes like a good cognac or scotch. Such high level alcohol has a numb effect at your mouth as it happens to hard liquors. Body is heavy and oily.
Remove water from your beer and you would get a STB type of beer, picture this if you don’t recognize this as beer. It is a beer amplified. I personally found it to be more drinkable than many malt liquor beers. You have to sip it as drinking an excellent scotch or rum. Actually is very tasteful and superior to most cognacs, rums and scotch, though quite expensive to make it.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%