Sink The Bismarck! | BrewDog

good
Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by femALEist on 03-23-2010

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

This was interesting and I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try it, but I can't say that I particularly enjoyed the experience. I will note that, despite my expectations, Sink The Bismarck! was the clear winner over Tactical Nuclear Penguin. However, it was still just a novelty, rather than an enjoyable beverage. The beer pours a deep amber with great highlights, and it's got good legs, for what it's worth. It looks like whiskey, really. The aroma is exceedingly strong and hoppy. It's one of the strongest hop aromas that I've ever encountered, and that's kinda neat. However, it's a hop aroma that lacks all delicacy and depth. It's mostly turpentine and booze. I was quite interested by the aroma, initially, but after my shock at the strength of it wore off, it was actually a bit disappointing. It's all candied, paint thinner hops, citric with some soapy floral notes. There's a ton of spicy pepper in the aroma as well and, of course, lots of alcohol heat. I got an even bigger dose of booze on the palate, though not as bad as TNP. Mouthfeel is quite rough, like a bizarrely dirty whiskey. In some ways, though more enjoyable, this beer struck me as even more of a gimmick than TNP. The hops are indelicate in the extreme and seem to cover up the beer's faults more than they add to its quality. Plus, the beer had that unpleasant acrid flavor also present in TNP. I appreciate the effort, I appreciate the experimentation, but I don't much like the beer.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

4.79/5  rDev +34.6%

Thanks Sammy for getting this one! It pours a deep copper-amber colour with little off-white head. I was a bit surprised how much head there was actually, but it certainly wasn't a lot. I get pine, citrus and floral hops. Quite sticky and boozy, yet delicious. I still get some malt back-bone to this beer. For 41% alcohol, it is hellishly drinkable! After each sip (and you have to sip this) I wanted to have another immediately.

I have no idea how to properly rate this beer because it isn't like anything else I've ever had. It was an awesome experience to try this and I hope to try another bottle some day!

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - Flat, watered down coffee

Aroma - Rubbing alcohol, peppermint(?), soy sauce.

Taste - Similar to aroma.. More alcohol.. Burnt my eyes.

Mouthfeel - Hard liquor

Overall - Not for the faint of heart. Glad I got the chance to try though.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

OK, OK, it's a gimmick ... and an aged IPA, at that.

Coppery but clear brew. No head.

Smells...potent. Strong alcohol, caramel, and feet?

Doesn't taste all as bad as it smells. Very hot; tons of caramel; stale hops; sherry and port; citrus and pine; fruit cake. Still not something I'd drink normally...or ever again.

For a beer that clocks in at whisky strength, it's not as hot as it could be. It is more flavorful and fruity, as well.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

From 4.1% ABV,the Brewdog dinner finally arrives at 41%.

Beer pour a brilliant and still orange, with no head whatsoever. Intense, screaming hop nose, with layers of grapefruit and pine that strain to cover the alcohol, and just fall short of succeding. The flavour shouts scotch, and there's more liquor character to this than beer character. Strong wood, hot alcohol, spice, earth, salt and rye prove a potent force, nad there's still significant c-hop in there to keeo this somewhat beer-like. Definitely a sipper and suited to small samples. The body continues the liquor theme with its oily slickness, which seems to work well here.

A very interesting beer that's a delight to try, though probably not an experience I'd repeat again. Really, its closer to drinking liquor neat than an actual beer, but there is a certain pleasure in sampling something so extreme.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This drink is slightly clouded amber, no head, no lacing, but curtains.

The smell is besides alcoholic, grape, rose water and a general dried grassy hops.

Basically fiery alcoholic hop schnapps.

No carbonation, boozy, coarse and dry.

Basically hops in (bad) booze, try once. Grappa is better!

2.55/5  rDev -28.4%

12oz bottle, opened for Adam's birthday and split 10 ways. Happy Birthday dude, hope you have a great year ahead of you! As the provider of the bottle, me (and of course the birthday boy) got about 2oz's while everyone else got 1oz. The bottle opened with a small hiss then poured relatively still, as expected.

Looks interesting in the glass. It's a cloudy orange color that is very reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but with just a touch more orange. Cloudy as all get-out, perhaps the first sign that a storm's coming.

Holy shit. This has just a devastating smell. The first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover. Bummer. But when I get past that and dig a little deeper, there's a really cool apricot and orange hoppiness underneath, I just need to push through some layers of wretched alcohol burn to get it. Once the "beer" "opens up", there's a nice syrupy hoppiness that really does pack a wonderful punch to the olfactories. The nail polish remover burn dissipates, but there's a weird saltiness that sticks around. Just an odd collection of smells, but a unique and powerful experience. I have to rate this in the middle because that's the best compromise I can make. It's awesome one second and wretched the next.

Taste is one-of-a-kind. I'd compare it to a mixture between a nice DIPA, a honey mead like Apis, the salt I use on my driveway during the wintertime, and moonshine. My tastebuds gradually become used to the weirdness and I can appreciate this as a liquor, and some hoppy, flowery, and bitter flavors I like in extreme beer do come out from time to time. Plus, at 82 proof, I don't want to ding this for the hotness. But I need to give it a number, so I must make some comparisons and compromises. Therefore, just like the nose, we need to split the difference and call this average.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and stingy. Not horrible, just not ideal. Again, we'll give this anomaly the benefit of the doubt and give it a somewhat respectable score.

However, when we get to drinkability, things must get real. At least half of the people drinking this couldn't finish an ounce. Perhaps the most undrinkable beer I've ever had.

For someone considering purchasing this or trading for it, I want to give a bit more insight since it can run over $75 a bottle when imported. I honestly can't believe there are people giving this A+ ratings. Yes, I know it's all a matter of preference, but let me explain. In the recent Beer Advocate magazine, there was an article about objectively better beer. I didn't believe that was appropriate until now. While I understand that everyone has the right to say that something struck their palate a certain way, giving this beer scores worthy of world-class ales is just wrong. It's objectively inferior to beers that are actually pleasure to drink. I'm not saying others don't have the right to an opinion, I just don't trust that they rated on the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability of the beer.

The bottom line here is that the gimmick won over the quality of the experience when drinking the product. This is just a hodge-podge of great and horrible and, while it's something I'm happy to have had the chance to sample, I would never buy again, even at $20 a bottle. I probably wouldn't even accept a free sample. Quit the bullshit, BrewDog, and get back to making drinkable beer. This is the beverage equivalent of a car with a satellite radio equipped blue-tooth nav system, heated leather seats, and no wheels.

3.02/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1.4/5  rDev -60.7%

Bottle into a glass. Courtesy of beddachedda, who apparently makes enough chedda to think spending the money on a BrewDog product is a good idea. Evan, you're a prince among men, but there are many sayings about being bad with money, and "He who buys BrewDog is doomed to financial ruin" is at the top of the list.

A: This has a light haze to it, which is odd for a distilled spirit (isn't it?). I don't even know how to rate this. It's mildly leggy, I suppose. I'll give it a 3.5, and that's as high as I'll go, because it's BrewDog.

S: Oh lordy, this is hilarious. It's hops schnapps. That fiery burn of cheap vodka infused with something herbal and earthy. I'm picturing two guys making this in their bathtub while dressed in penguin costumes.

T: A bit like bottled evil. This is quite hoppy, and not in a flavorful way: it's just bitter, earthy, herbal, and boozy. I suppose it accomplished what it set out to do, but that doesn't mean it needed doing, or that I'm going to applaud it. In some ways this is geared toward the fratboy subset of the BA crowd. "Your IPA isn't imperial enough? Boy, do we have the fortifier for you."

Evan pointed out that this is better in larger sips, and despite much mockery from me, I found out he was right. The small sips bring out the harsh burn, while smaller sips bring out some flavors and suppress the burn a bit. It's sort of like being kicked in the groin vs. kicked in the stomach, but I know what I prefer.

M: Boozy.

O: I'd just like to say that it says a lot about BeerAdvocate that this merits a B for the style. For any style.

1.93/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks I think to drseamus.

A one ounce pour and trust me that is all you need.

A: The color was nice looking in that it was a fairly clean golden color. No head or carbonation to speak of but that is to be expected.

S: The nose upon opening the bottle was fresh hops which was nice. Once you let this bad boy breath in your snifter for a while the alcohol really let itself be known. Stinging of the nostrils was par for the course with each sip. The hops were behind that.

T: Wow. So thats where all the alcohol was hiding. Tons of alcohol. Some sweetness like a 120 but much more boozy. The hops are there and reminding me that this is a beer but not much else is. If you go into this knowing it is like nothing else it really is not bad. In fact for what it is it brings some enjoyement to the table.

M: This beer had legs. Nuff said.

D: An ounce was perfect. I would not age this beer as the hops are the only thing really keeping this in the beer realm. It is interesting and I am stoked to have tried it. Worth a shot if you have enough people. We had 6 and half the bottle still remains.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog