BrewDog Paradox Jura | BrewDog

Added by niklas0770 on 02-09-2012

Reviews: 24 | Ratings: 165
Reviews by sennin:
3.12/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Making my way through BrewDog’s catalogue as much as I can before I leave Italy. None of their beers are available in my hometown so I am on something of a mission here.

Poured into a pint glass on March 6, 2013.

A: Opaque, no light getting through this. Lacing present, relatively nice look throughout the session.

S: Not much going on here that differentiates it from other scotch-like ales- usual smoky peaty smell- but its not very high in the mix and is drowned out by an ever-present rum-like smell. I don’t know, I guess I smell some vanilla in this? Unfortunately, It’s not all that memorable though.

T: First taste is an overwhelming sweetness, something that is unexpected and not exactly pleasant. It tastes like sugar has been added to this brew and in the end it just doesn’t work and clashes hard with the other flavors. Rum kicks hard throughout the tasting session, but there is a nice chocolate like taste on the backend. After the swallow, there almost seems to be a chili like taste that arises, which I am assuming is from the smokiness that comes through from the peat. It’s good and more complex than the smell but that acrid sweetness is always present and pretty much spoils this brew. The sweetness almost resembles maple syrup, something that is very unpleasant in a beer of this nature. Alcohol is present but there isn’t much of a burn to me. This is honestly something of an easy drinker, which is surprising considering the 15% ABV of the beer.

M: Flat with a little carbonation that fizzes on the tongue throughout the tasting. But other than that, it’s a little too oily and flat. Very average mouthfeel to me.

Overall, this beer is a major disappointment to me and is forcing me to slowly turn my back on BrewDog. I love them for their style and some of their beers are pretty amazing, but there are just too many duds in their catalogue. I will keep on trying them since I can’t get them in my hometown, but I am hoping that something comes along to surprise me soon.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter; jet black like engine oil with a moderate brown fluffy head that fades quickly into some chunky foam and very fine lacing around the edges.
Smells very interesting...like a barleywine combined with a stout. Dark fruit dominates, with booze, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, scotch, and oak all intermingled.
Taste...damn. It overtakes your whole mouth with slick, tastefully boozy dark fruit and bourbon. Then dark bready malt mingles with coffee and chocolate and oak, slithering down the throat with sticky sweetness.
Mouthfeel is slick and thick, with a good amount of carbonation, enough to keep the body from being too cloying.
Overall, this is an awesome stout. It's really taking barrel-aging to its extreme...stout aged in barrels that were used for bourbon and then scotch. But the result is awesome.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with no light coming through. Pours a 1.5 finger head that slowly recedes. The lacing is fairly good.
S: Big peat smoke of a whisky followed with alot of vanilla some dark chocolate and coffee.
T: Some sweetness upfront followed by some sherry, dark fruits and some vanilla from the barrels.
M: Mouthfeel was lighter than I was expecting. It was fairly smooth though considering the ABV.
O: A very interesting beer that I am happy I tried. I bought another to see if it mellows with age.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.98/5  rDev -1%

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small dark brown foamy head. Aroma of luscious sweet roasted malt notes with light sweet liquor notes. Taste is sweeter then I had expected with some sweet roasted malt notes, light chocolate notes with some light scotch notes at the end which rounds off the corner. Body is quite full with oily like texture with light carbonation and no real apparent alcohol notes. Barrel-aging is not has apparent has I had expected but very good nonetheless.

BrewDog Paradox Jura from BrewDog