Zinnebir | Brasserie de la Senne

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by paterlodie on 11-24-2005

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

Capped and corked green 750 bottle, pops like a champaign, and even pours like one with the fizzy golden yellow brew bubbling up in the ol' Corsendonk tulip. Massive white head and some sheet lacing really round out the opening.

Spicy malt in the aroma and the quaff. Also noting some woody resin in the finish - which is a bit harsh for me. No hint of any booze, but then again this is a relative light weight at 6%

Not too tasty, I'll pass on this one from here on out, especially with the high dollar import pricing.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

3.41/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Beautiful, hazy, unfiltered, and peach colored with a massive two finger head. Some suspended floaties.

S: Aromas of lemon zest, barnyard funk, green apples, yeast, and pineapple.

T: Big flavors of citrus, peppery hops, mild cardamom, tart green apples, with a clean malt backbone.

M: Mouthfeel is very dry and peppery yet creamy at the same time. Lots of bitter and tangy going on here that's balanced by that smooth malt quality.

D: So many well defined flavors going on here coupled with a relatively low abv make this one extremely sessionable. I swore when I first smelled this one (before I tasted it) I thought that it was a saison. Tangy cirtus, pepper, and barnyard. When I finally tasted it, it had all the hallmarks of a great saison but then the malt stepped up and kept everything in check. This could be listed as a bridging of the styles of BPA and Saison. What a great beer!

4.26/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Yellow color with a full, well lasting and well shaped head of foam. Lovely aromatics and flavors. Just a pleasure to drink. Fresh, bright, lively. Incredible nuance. Fruit, barnyard, leather, honey. World class mouth feel. Excellent balance. De La Senne rocks!

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy yellow, with low, fine foam.

Smell is grassy with hints of chamomille, yeast and roses.

Taste is floral and grassy, with a soft, balanced bitterness. Very drinkable and fruity, takes a bunch of old and mixes it with new. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated.

Overall, a very good new school Belgian, drinkable and fruity.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

The cork was soaked and it took every once of my MacGyver skills to get the cork out.

Pours lightly hazy, gold in hue; thick, yet sort of fizzy white head, at the apex the foam was some three fingers tall. Head retention was respectable, in time the bubbles faded to a smallish, clumpy cap that lasted the entire consumption. Lacing started before I took a sip, it was widespread subsequently. I got to say this beer, thus far, is playing the part of a Belgian Blonde Ale quite well.

The nose is fairly hoppy (in the Belgian-style sense); there is a wonderful undercurrent of lemon zest that I have never smelled in any other beer. The lemon aroma is sort of sweet like candy but sort of like cleaning solution (in a good way!). I found light spiciness throughout. Cracker maltiness provides the base for the other soft aromas to jump off from. The nose is simple but elegant. Even though it doesn’t say much or speak loudly I am invited to take a sip, err, drink.

The palate is hoppy with lingering earthy bitterness. At first the lemon flavor isn’t as agreeable as the nose but after a couple more sips I am onboard. Impressively dry, the cracker maltiness allows the hops and yeast (?) spiciness to shine. For a Belgian Blonde the yeast strain seems awfully clean. Some peppery or clovey flavors would add something but maybe the point is to be different. I can’t say this beer is awesome, it is not… to me it is just a tad boring. But, still, I like it. The earthy, bitter aftertaste is wonderful. I bet this beer would rock with plenty varieties of cheese! Aperitif beer?

Around medium in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is relaxing and this aids in drinkability.

Speaking of… this is a very easy to drink beer, it is an enjoyable quaff. It is nuanced but simple on the surface. I could see many beer drinkers not “getting” this beer. Hell, I am not sure I totally get it. I question if I am worthy of fully appreciating it. Is my palate to American? Maybe I am biased against it (for it?) because of the constant Shelton Brothers blather about sweet Belgian ales. Is this a beer I’d return to in the future? Maybe. Is this a beer I want to carry at Beertopia? I’m not sure. The seed has been planted… thank you Matt for the sample.

3.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a dim peachy blonde with a white foamy head. Some floaters and bubble, a little lace.

Husk, some booze, and bitter orange in the nose.

Bitter and malty up front. Dry, no sugar at all. Some orange rind, husky grain, and grassy malt. This is a grown-up beverage.

Medium bodied with good carbonation. I thought this would be harder to drink, but I found myself taking bigger sips. Worthy. Good version of the style.

Zinnebir from Brasserie de la Senne