Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We love this beer here at the brewery, and think you will have one of those “I’ve never-tasted-a-beer-like-that” kind of moments when you try it!

What we really like about this beer is the smoothness that brewing with cream sugar brings to the palate. This smoothness balances out the copious quantities of roasted barley used in the brewing process to create a rich, complex, and delicious beer. If you have not been a stout drinker in the past, give this beer a try. It might just change your mind about how dark beers should taste. It tastes so rich, but is surprisingly easy to drink!

Added by russpowell on 11-29-2009

Ratings: 1,419 |  Reviews: 373

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

2.95/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This was very close to being a drain pour.

So,I decided to let it warm up...it didn't help much.

I went easy on my ratings because perhaps I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Way too much carbonation, nasty smell, and taste that was just not something I enjoyed.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

No one ever accused me of being a beer snob. At least not yet. In fact, I'm new to craft beers and am still learning. I've only kegged my second batch of home brew just today. What I do know is what I like. This beer, along with the vanilla counterpart are my current all time favorite brews. I'm sure that nobody would fault me if this Valentine's Day I took my woman to a private place and enjoyed a little Buffalo Sweat. In fact, I highly recommend that you do the same. You won't regret it!

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

3.88/5  rDev 0%

16 fl oz. can, with drink by date of 07/25/2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Another new beer to me from Tallgrass Brewing Co. I'm expecting good things, based on my experience with Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown; nearly opaque in the glass, with some see-through dark brown cola around the edges. Three big creamy fluffy fingers of light chocolate / mocha head. Some very nice thick scattered lacing.

S - Smell is very nice. Bitter unsweetened chocolate, cream, lactose sugars, vanilla, cold roasty coffee beans, and lots of dark barley / oatmeal roast.

T - Taste follows the nose - chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, cream, cold coffee, hint of cola, and dark barley / oatmeal roastiness. Fairly conventional, but the cream sugar lends a smooth silkiness to the beer. Somewhat thin for a stout.

M - Feel is smooth, creamy, and light. Minimal chocolate / coffee bean bitterness on the palate. Fairly dark and roasty for the low 5.00% abv. Light bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, a nicely made low abv stout from Tallgrass. Not exactly packing all the flavors of the vanilla variant, but it's still very good. Dark and roasty for the low abv. Recommended.

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat ---4/5.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Very dark, tiny hints of ruby red if held up to the light. Nice dense three finger beige head that receded too quickly unfortunately. Minimal lacing, but that could just be the glass.

S- Roasted malts are the predominant aroma followed by oatmeal, chocolate, and vanilla.

T- One of the sweetest beers I've had... definitely a dessert beer. Excellent roastiness that's followed with a caramel/chocolate middle, finally ending with toasty flavors and residual sweetness. Isn't bitter at all either, which was unexpected. Almost no hop presence.

M- Despite its color, this beer is rather thin. The body is quite nice though, and the oats/lactose give it a great feel. The bitterness lingers but is very light. The carbonation is on the medium to low side, and in my opinion is about spot on.

Overall, this is a spectacular example of the style. It's not for everyone though, and the sweetness can be overwhelming if you're used to other styles. If you can find it, pick it up!

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat from Tallgrass Brewing Company