Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We love this beer here at the brewery, and think you will have one of those “I’ve never-tasted-a-beer-like-that” kind of moments when you try it!

What we really like about this beer is the smoothness that brewing with cream sugar brings to the palate. This smoothness balances out the copious quantities of roasted barley used in the brewing process to create a rich, complex, and delicious beer. If you have not been a stout drinker in the past, give this beer a try. It might just change your mind about how dark beers should taste. It tastes so rich, but is surprisingly easy to drink!

Added by russpowell on 11-29-2009

Ratings: 1,380 |  Reviews: 366
3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I feel like I had this too soon out of the fridge, as it was lacking some of the creaminess I was expecting. Foam disappeared quickly after the pour, and it had a definite oatmeal nose, without being as strong as I thought it would. Smooth tasting, creamy without being rich. A solid beer, but cold it wasn't as great as it could have been.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Perfect 2 finger head - not dense, but not fluffy. Very very dark brew. Off to a good start. Just realized coffee stouts don't tend to do that thing where the bubbles on the outside of the glass sink. Weird.

Sweetness on the nose, anticipation rising. The head has now diminished to 1/2 finger thickness with very nice lacing. This is a very attractive beer, and I can't wait to see how it tastes. Let's find out.

There it is. Sweetness. Call me nuts but I'm almost picking up on something bordering on peppermint-mocha notes. Fizzy on the tongue but not overwhelmingly so, like the Morning Wood I just had (the beer, not the anatomical anomaly).

I just realized this isn't even a coffee stout - heck, if you had handed me one and said it was brewed with Kenyan coffee beans, I don't think I would doubt you. Maybe I'm just used to oatmeal stouts having the coffee element, as my last few have been in that category.

Upon pouring the rest of the can into my glass, I do see the sinking bubbles, they just don't last long, they form a solid head very quickly.

Overall, this is a very good beer. Not outstanding, but I think the BA score is pretty appropriate.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%