Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We love this beer here at the brewery, and think you will have one of those “I’ve never-tasted-a-beer-like-that” kind of moments when you try it!

What we really like about this beer is the smoothness that brewing with cream sugar brings to the palate. This smoothness balances out the copious quantities of roasted barley used in the brewing process to create a rich, complex, and delicious beer. If you have not been a stout drinker in the past, give this beer a try. It might just change your mind about how dark beers should taste. It tastes so rich, but is surprisingly easy to drink!

Added by russpowell on 11-29-2009

Ratings: 1,382 |  Reviews: 366
3.99/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.98/5  rDev +30%

This is a great oatmeal stout. Not too earthy and has a sweet hint in each sip. This would be a great introductory stout for young beer connoisseurs.

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had been meaning to try this beer for a while, given that it's a local brew (same state kind of local), and because I was intrigued by the name, more so for the love of buffaloes than their sweat. At least it's much less literal than the white fungus bird's nest drink they sell at the Thai market.

What really sealed the deal, if not the name, was the promise of an oatmeal stout. As far as graphic design goes, I don't imagine it's caught too many eyes, or stand out as the "you gotta get one today!" kind of beer. It's kinda bland looking. I bought it because I'd seen it before online, and because I like to support local breweries. (I drank this straight from the can, as I do every beer. I have no word on the pour, but I'm sure it won't catch on fire if you try.)

I don't claim to be an expert in smellology, but it smells like beer. Good beer, actually, but nothing to me stands out among others. If I think about it hard enough, I can detect a faint hint of some kind of sweetness, milk, and maybe faint chocolate notes. Actually, why am I even sticking my nose to this beer can.

The immediate taste is great, with roasted, milky, oatmeal flavors coming in powerfully for a fantastic entry--then poof. It just seems to pack it up and leave, each sip.

What disappoints me most is that the taste does not satisfy. It comes riding in like a suave charro and leaves in the sunset after bowling over your mouth's affections. I'm also surprised that, for a %5.0 ABV beer, the alcohol taste comes through pretty strongly. Does this mean it's bad? I wouldn't say so, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have further potential either. The palate is just not fulfilled.

The mouth feel is creamy and smooth, as expected with a milk stout. Kind of thin at the same time, oddly, but maybe I just like the weight of molasses in my beers. :r

If it's on sale, I might buy it again. It really is good for the initial plunge, but I doesn't tantalize much further.

7/10

Give it a go if you like oatmeal!

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

4.02/5  rDev +5%

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a warm, deep reddish brown with copious head that resolved quickly. Smells of coffee, cocoa, roasted malts. Taste sweet malts forward, coffee and cocoa, hints of vanilla and molasses and a pleasant contrasting mineral note that keeps it from becoming too sweet . Mouthfeel is a little thinner for a stout, but the texture is smooth and creamy with just enoug effervescence to tingle . Slightly syrupy finish with trace coffee and cocoa notes
Overall - I thoroughly enjoyed this stout, and easy drinker- great intro stout for the newbie- I look forward to trying their other beers and I would pick this up again

2.06/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

16oz can on 7/27/16.

L: Dark black with a slight off-white head.

S: I can't lie. Smelled like someone spilled old coffee on a cardboard box. It smelled spoiled.

T: This is an odd stout. I might have gotten a bad can or something. It tastes like gasoline.

F: It has a creamy mouthfeel with a fair amount of carbonation despite the slight head.

Verdict- I don't want to ask where the sweat came off of this buffalo. This was not for me.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Near black. Dark brown pour with 1 finger head that fades airily quick. The aroma has some vanilla, coffee, dark malt. Almost a cherry cough syrup, not strong at all, just a hint. The taste has some bitter dark chocolate up front and throughout. More vanilla and steeped grain flavor. Mouthfeel. Feels great, silky smooth, and slippery. Overall, a real tasty little stout here. Lots of flavor. Very sweet. Kind of wanted some ice cream to eat while I drank this.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This isn't a coffee beer, but there's a lot of coffee going on here. Pours a dark coffee color, long-lasting tan head, very nice appearance. Aromas of dark roasted malt, with notes of coffee and chocolate. Flavors of coffee-flavored toffee, espresso bean, sweet cream. Creamy mouthfeel, lingering sweetness with notes of coffee and toffee on the aftertaste. Overall, very good if a bit sweet.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat from Tallgrass Brewing Company