Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

We originally brewed Halcyon as our first summer seasonal, but since all the Halcyon fans (a.k.a: kiteheads) asked so nicely, we now brew this magical brew year around. Besides, who doesn't want a little taste of summer on a dark winter night?

We are proud of all our beers, but Halcyon is special. We are in “the wheat state” after all, so the pressure was on us to make a wheat beer, but we knew it had to be great. Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat is the result of that Midwestern angst, an all-American wheat with real Kansas-grown grain in the brew.

We start with raw Kansas white wheat in the mix to give it a nice edge, but what really makes it shine is the hops. We use “hop-bursting” late in the brewing process and this gives Halcyon its palate of tropical fruit flavors & aromas with a bright and refreshing taste like the best days of summer.

Added by jaycount on 03-30-2011

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very nice wheat beer; but then it better be since it's from my home state, the Wheat Capital. Was visiting from Nevada,my new found home of 28 years and decided I should try some Kansas wheat beer...nice color, nice white pillowy head, nice aroma--but wow-very very tasty--a keeper.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A nice, crisp wheat beer. I love the subtle citrus taste.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

4.71/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Really stands out against other wheat beers. Theres some unique taste to me.

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz can poured into a weissbier glass. Solid two fingers of dusty white head caps the surface. As the foam recedes, spots speckle the glass. Body color is a hazy golden orange. The glass is illuminated when held to the light, but I can't see through the glass.

Smell has a sweet banana and mango fruitiness. There is a fresh bread dough character, slightly yeasty. Taste has quite a lot of the banana esters, but it is not overpowering. There is a secondary lemon flavor that cleans up nicely. There is a faint peppery tingle that comes in at the very end.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than most Pale Wheat Ales. This seems to fall some where in the middle between a Wheat Ale and a Hefeweizen. There is a mild creaminess in the texture, but is not filling like a lot of Hefeweizens can be. I'm liking this beer more and more.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Pours a hazy, just-darker-than-straw color. Head is one and a half fingers and stays firm. Some lacing.
S- Smell is nice and refreshing. Lightly sweet malt, with a wheat spicyness and tropical fruit aroma as well.
T- Wow. This is probably my favorite tasting American Pale Wheat. It is wheaty with a light spicy note, and even though the aroma was leaning toward tropical, it really comes through as a bursting citrus flavor here. It is a really refreshing tangerine flavor, and the finish is a nice clean, wheaty flavor. Well balanced.
M- Relatively crisp, light bodied, but decent for style. Finish is semi-dry.
O- A tremendous wheat beer. Wonderfully delicious. There are some wheat beers that use a lot of hops, but then it loses it's wheaty presence. This one doesn't too that. There is a delightlfully wheaty and also hoppy. Well balanced. Highly recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

A rich golden orange/yellow color with a thick cream cap.

I love the aroma on this so much. I don't know if it's the hops(s) they used or what, but it has this wonderful freshness about it. Hop notes are herbal, lemon, and bubble gum.

Taste is equally outstanding. Its so nicely balanced and a perfect texture. The wheat plays a light note flavor wise but adds a lovely softness. Otherwise the malts are just clean, smooth, and light, letting the perfect level of hops to cut through. It has a nice complex finish with a slight mineral bite coupled with lemon bitter hops and biscuit sweet malts. All this flavor yet it's so sessionable. It really doesn't come across as a wheat beer...more of a hop-forward ale with a touch of wheat.

I will be drinking this all spring and summer if it stays on the shelves. My first beer by Tallgrass and it really impressed me. Looking forward to trying more!

Update: Found out they use Citra hops, which I believe adds a lot of character to this beer. There's another hop also, but I will need to look that up as I can't recall off the top of my head. Got this info from an info card they gave out at the Kansas Sampler Festival.

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat from Tallgrass Brewing Company