Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

We originally brewed Halcyon as our first summer seasonal, but since all the Halcyon fans (a.k.a: kiteheads) asked so nicely, we now brew this magical brew year around. Besides, who doesn't want a little taste of summer on a dark winter night?

We are proud of all our beers, but Halcyon is special. We are in “the wheat state” after all, so the pressure was on us to make a wheat beer, but we knew it had to be great. Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat is the result of that Midwestern angst, an all-American wheat with real Kansas-grown grain in the brew.

We start with raw Kansas white wheat in the mix to give it a nice edge, but what really makes it shine is the hops. We use “hop-bursting” late in the brewing process and this gives Halcyon its palate of tropical fruit flavors & aromas with a bright and refreshing taste like the best days of summer.

Added by jaycount on 03-30-2011

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a one-finger white head. Head retention is meh, lacing is average.

Smells of nice citrus and floral hops, backed up by fresh wheat. Quite pleasant, and a good combination of fruity and earthy. The highlight of the beer.

Tastes like... wait a minute, where's the flavor? It tastes like nothing. If I try real hard, I can pick up some light malts, some wheat. The finish is as bland as the rest of it. I let it warm up to near room temp, tasting along the way, and I still got very little flavor. A bit more bitterness from the hops, and some grainy malt, but even at 60 degrees F it tasted weak. Disappointed.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, with solid carbonation. I think it holds in the mouth fairly well, but as there's so little flavor, I can't really tell.

This beer has almost no taste. Okay, it's innocuous, doesn't actually taste bad, and is slightly more refreshing than cold water. But I want flavor from my beer. And this is not a comment on the style - I've recently had several pale wheat ales that I found flavorful. Don't think it's a freshness issue, as I'm pretty sure this just hit our shelves in the last couple weeks. I do not plan to drink this again.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.79/5  rDev -27.3%

Got this in my NOOB Bif Box.

A- All hazy wheat colored with a fingers worth of head that dissipates quickly into a ring around the glass.

S- Like rancid aluminium. Some citrus.

T- Like rancid aluminium. I really dislike wheats. This one does have some redeeming citrus qualities. Even some complexity with the wheat, the tangy citrus and some mango. I wish it were drier.

M- I hate the fake sugar corn starch aftertaste.

O- If I am going to like a wheat beer, it needs to taste crisp and natural. This one doesn't.

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

12oz can. Pours a very hazy dark yellow with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet wheat malts with a touch of fruit.

The flavor is wheat malts and a splash of lemoney fruits and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, it's a simple but enjoyable and drinkable wheat.

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

poured a hazy golden yellow out of a 12 oz can (really? i thought they only did pints!). nice amounts of lacing came from the inch of bright white head. faint smells of hops and yeast, slight hint of lemon. the taste is pretty bland - very mellow sweetness and a tiny bit bready. light bodied, easy drinking beer. not impressed at all. this brewery was on a roll until i had this can, even for a wheat beer it seems too bland.

I've had this beer before, but the brewery was new so I'm giving them another chance.

This beer is strange. It's not quite like the pale wheat ales of Boulevard, Widmer, and others. It's more on the Pale Ale side of Wheat ale than the hefe side.

The appearance is very clear, which is odd for this style.

The smell is more floral, with no wheat malt or banana like smells coming off of the beer.

The taste is more floral as well. Hardly any wheat malt backbone, no wheat malt mouth-feel, and certainly no fruity wheat flavor. It's got some I suppose, but this beer is more like a Pale Ale that accidentally had some wheat malt spilled in it.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Cloudy, yellow orange color, with medium carbonation bubbles but they lead to a huge straw colored, three finger head. Lace I think is gonna stick around and does in a spotted pattern.

Smell is very bready and musty. Hay comes to mind. Maybe even some over ripe oranges.

Taste is earthy or grassy. Some sweet malt flavors. Tons of musty yeast flavors.

Mouth is well balanced but for a wheat it is not that refreshing. I'm trying to scrape this off my tongue instead of enjoying what's going down.

Overall I don't think is a terrible representation of the style, just not my cup of tea (wheat?). Thanks to McNuts for this freebee.

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat from Tallgrass Brewing Company