Tallgrass Velvet Rooster | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: Tripel

This beer is a Belgian Tripel that lives up to its name. Smooth and carefully crafted like a fine velvet painting, but with an 8.5% ABV this bird has some spurs! The beer pours a golden straw color with brilliant clarity. Topped with a lofty pure white head the beer has a wonderful floral nose, with subtle fruit notes. The taste is clean and crisp, with subtle fruit notes and a touch of candy like sweetness. The beer has a Champagne-like effervescent that provides a crisp offset to its sweet finish. While a pint glass is always nice, Velvet Rooster would also be at home in a tulip glass or Champagne flute.

Malts: 2Row, Munich, Wheat, Oats
Hops: Northern Brewer, Tettnang, Saaz
Adjuncts: Cane Sugar

Added by indiapaleale on 11-05-2011

Hello, was introduced to Velvet Rooster within the last month or so, what a pleasant surprise! I see myself keeping a four pack cold and ready for consumption when the time is right. If you are a Belgian Wheat fan, you will love the taste of this beer. I rate this Tallgrass product a must try, underline, exclamation point. You will not be disappointed. If I were asked to make a recommendation to someone new to craft brew products, Velvet Rooster would definitely be in my top three. After I tasted this porduct based upon the recommendation of a friend, his credability was firmly established with me. He knew what he was talking about. I'm confident that once you try this beer, you too will become a fan of the rich, full taste of this superb product.
SR

4.86/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

best trippl high ABV with balance

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

Almost looks like an unfiltered wheat. Taste is wonderful with a nice nose. Stands alone great. Pair with toasted tuna sandwich.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer with a nice fruit bouquet. Best enjoyed in a tulip glass , in my opinion, to get the most out of the night the aroma. This is the beer that will bring back memories of that trip to Europe where you visited a variety of local beer places. The sweetness of the malts used make this beer very easy to drink, but so not let it fool you... You have some decent alcohol content at 8.5%

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

The CANQuest (TM) seems to be getting back on track, slowly but surely. I have built up a nice stash of CANs in the past month and with a break from school coming up, I am looking to make some Crack & Glug happen.

From the CAN: "Belgian-style Tripel Ale" plus a really psychedelic-looking rooster. Remind me not to drop a tab around this CAN ...

The Crack & Glug proved that I am slightly out of touch as I got some overflow as the big, thick, eggnog-colored head roared up from the bottom of the glass and over the rim of my glass. Its retention was actually becoming a problem as it seemed to refuse to drop, hindering me from pouring what still remained in the CAN. Color was a slightly-hazy deep golden-yellow. Nose had a papery mustiness, undoubtedly yeast-driven, like newspapers out of the attic or basement. Wow! I was really anxious for the first sip once the head got under control. Mouthfeel was quite full, very viscous as I rolled it around on my tongue, taking in the melding of flavors that included tropical fruit (think mango, banana, coconut) and cracked black pepper as well as an underlying mustiness. To say that the finish was dry would be to mark me as uttering the understatement of the year. The zephyr winds of the Sahara Desert blew through the back of my throat on the finish. Dry? Arid! Zounds. The spiciness just lingered in my mouth and I marveled that this had come out of a CAN. A KANsas CAN, no less. I would absolutely have some of this in the cooler on Hula in the Coola Day (01 February, annually) but it might be a bit much for the beach.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

Pillowy white head sits atop a regal gold body of nectoar. Lacing is very full. Aroma is bready and lemony. A little spice and hay. Flavor is a little sourdough, some lemongrass, cakey yeastiness, pepper.... Really nice. I expect nothing less from this fine brewery. Highly drinkable and flavorful. Light medium body with a soft feel to it and alcohol presence is barely detectable. A winner.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +18%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

If you like Tripels, you'll like this. Easy drinking, smooth and rich without being cloying.

Tallgrass Velvet Rooster from Tallgrass Brewing Company