Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale AleTallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale

Tallgrass Brewing Company
Kansas, United States
tallgrassbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by zeff80 on 03-01-2012

Ratings: 1,148 |  Reviews: 199

1.43/5  rDev -62.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Transparent light yellow, with a large bubbly head that dies down quickly.

Not much aroma--there's some pine, and actually some harsh, chemical-esque fumes.

Flavors of bitter, nondescript hops, corn, and a hint of lemon.

Frothy and nicely carbonated.

Not the best beer, but at least the can is cool.

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%

I was offered a 16oz can at a friends house, and when I saw the artwork on the can I was excited and thought "hey, this has to be good, it's from Tallgrass!" Tallgrass makes great stuff, like Buffalo Sweat, which I like a lot.

Didn't get to see the color, as I had nothing to pour into, but I'm assuming it was some kind of golden or off yellow color like most other APA's.

Right from the start it had a really bad funk to it's smell that told me this was going to be another write off or one that smells bad and turns out amazing, usually it's the first.
Maybe because I grew up in the French countryside on a farm I pick up the harsher scents easier or something, my friend insisted it had no funk smell to it, but it really smelled pungent to me.

The taste was about as bad as the smell, I didn't enjoy it at all and it made me cringe.
In the taste I detected hints of some tropical hops and some decent carbonation followed by a small hint of what I think was grapefruit, if these tastes had been more empowering over the funk I would have liked this more.

The mouthfeel was medium and slightly dense with a watery twinge, but not much there for me.

Overall I don't think I would try this again, other people seem to enjoy it but it's just not for me.
I do like the artwork, though, but other than that, I just can't get into this one.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

2.61/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Hazy gold with a 3 finger head of white foam with good retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, biscuit malt, and grassiness.

The taste is much like the aroma. The citrus flavor is like a combination of lemons and grapefruit, along with biscuit malt, and grassiness. More bitter than sweet. The lemon flavor is the strongest, followed by biscuit malt, and grapefruit.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and a lemon with biscuit malt aftertaste. Finishes dry. Not a completely bad beer, but not my favorite combination of flavors either. Guess I'm not a big fan of Galaxy hops.

2.66/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2.72/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

pint can into NYG pint glass. drink before 04/04/13.

A: very hazed. pale orange body. head is bubbly and a shade darker than white. head retention is great. thick lacing.

S: fruit juice. apple? sweet sugar. lots of malt. cheerios. banana bread.

T: the bitterness is serious here. fruity hop flavor. oranges. plenty of grain. cereal finish makes it a bit chewy. fruity twang.

M: average/slightly mild carb. light/medium body.

D: good, not great. too much hop bitterness distracts from some of the pleasant hop flavor. plenty of malt also distracts in a way that i find unpleasant. stylistically to me this drinks more like an english bitter than an APA.

2.74/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Older can, would be better fresh, awesome label art on the can

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company