Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ethos IPA | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Added by minnesotaryan on 05-01-2013

Probably my favorite IPA out there. Love the bitterness

4.99/5  rDev +24.4%

4.86/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to IPA. Been drinking at least a 4 pack a week for 3 years. Very Hoppy in smell and taste.

L - Darker Amber
S - Hops, Herbs
T - Lingering Hops Well balanced
F - Not as thick as a lot of IPAs, easy to drink
O - I try to buy local as much as possible and this is the best beer in the area that I have found so far, cans are also a big plus. I think this beer defines an IPA, but if I had to criticize it would be that sometimes on a hot day an IPA with a little more Citrus notes is better. If I rate a beer higher than Ethos, it must be good.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So my first taste of heaven came at a sampling at a local grocery store. I made the comment to the brewer / brewery rep that it, "Tasted just like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo." That seemed to go over real well with the Tallgrass reps. My next comment is where can I get more and the brewery rep escorted me to the chill box and pointed me to the beer. Ethos is made with five different hops, which can really cost a brewery financially in that purchasing one hop that might be higher in cost then the other hop ingredients might mean the revenue generated might not exceed the cost invested. Sorry for that a historian talking economics, bad me. Here is what grabbed me, a very strong citrus smell I mean like a real ripe grapefruit, it really wrinkled the hairs in my nose, bad image, sorry again. It had a nice fizz, which formed a good head, and overall sat well on my palate. In drinking the beer, there is a nice wheat flavor at first followed by the bitterness, and then as the flavor levels off the alcohol flavor kicks in to round off the flavor. The only reason I knock this one down a bit is that I wish that the bitterness / citrus flavor hung around for a bit longer, it seemed to fade to fast, but hey I wish Christmas lasted three days. For a double IPA Tallgrass should be very proud of this beer, I pray my package store does not put a six pack of Torpedo next to a four pack of Ethos, I will be standing there debating on which one to get for a looonnng time.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

too bad this one is gone bought all the last available in the state

4.77/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer has all the IPA bases covered. It would be the benchmark version if it finished stronger. Tastes bigger than it is.

Ethos IPA from Tallgrass Brewing Company