Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by GuinnessSmurf on 07-12-2013

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

Plum flavor overwhelms the rest of the beer.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

I chilled my brightly colored can this weekend and cracked it open just before dinner. The beer smelled like a beer. Nothing special really popped out at me – maybe a little citrus twang. Poured into my glass, it was very heady and a nice light amber color with a fairly clear body. It still didn’t really smell much like anything more than a beer.

Both pro and retronasal, there wasn’t a lot of pop to a plum flavor, which when the beer advertises itself as a Wild Plum beer made with Fresh Picked Wild Plums… I kind of expect that plum flavor somewhere. I don’t know if it just got lost in the stronger yeast flavors of the beer, but I really couldn’t pick up any lick of plum. Maybe if I thought really hard about at the end. Maybe if I pictured a plum mentally while drinking it.

Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with this beer and I probably wouldn’t try it again. I would probably try it on tap if I were to ever find it, since I think that might be the only thing to make that distinct stone fruit flavor pop out.

I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t like it. I’d pick it over a non-craft beer any day, but I was really hoping for more of that sweet, juicy plum on my tongue.

Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company