Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale | Tallgrass Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by GuinnessSmurf on 07-12-2013

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Grabbed this on clearance for 2.99 for a 4 pack! Expired by a month, but with a Saison I think that is plenty fine... But it is a month pass the brewers recommendation so I just wanted to write this before the review

Pours a hazy yellow with 2 fingers of white head, tons of lacing

Smell is lemon, hay, Belgian yeast spice, green apple, tartness, a bit of a musty bread

Taste is tart lemon, green apple, barnyard funk, Belgian spice, light sourness funk to it, lime, bready, wheat and a bit of spice.

Mouthfeel is very light, and extremely carbonated... Might be the biggest flaw is that even for a Saison it is a little overly carbonated.

Well, I certainly can not tell it is "expired"! I am going back to the store and grabbing a case at this price, should be plenty fine for the summer! Tallgrass does good stuff and this is no exception, hope someone else did not buy all this!

Perhaps the reason for the short date is that the plum would fade, which if it ever was there is gone. I tasted no plum and frankly I do not care because it is just a well done Saison

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.46/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a snifter.

A - Orange - amber color. Some yeast sediment at the end gave it an opaque appearance. Thick, pillow-like pale white head with good retention. Usually think of darker colors, when I think of plums, but not getting that here.

S - Fruity and light. Not a strong odor. Not the funk you get with some Saisons.

T - Didn't really get any plum flavor. Nice pleasant mildly fruity flavor. Very east to drink. Refreshing. Would be a great summer beer.

M - Creamy head with nice small effervescent champagne bubbles. Dry on the finish.

A very good refreshing beer. I like the can... easily transportable to my favorite mountain bike destination. I think it would really hit the spot after about 15 miles of single track.

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured out of 16 oz. pounder into a tulip.

A: Light colored. With a tall white foamy head. With decent lacing.

S: Light & Fruity. More tart pear than plum.

T: Typical Farmhouse Ale. Sour with a nice dry finish.

M: Slight alcohol and Carbonated.

O: Name does not fit beer at all. Plume doesn't really ever show up. Don't get it if that's what your after. But like most Tall grass Beers its still very drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

I chilled my brightly colored can this weekend and cracked it open just before dinner. The beer smelled like a beer. Nothing special really popped out at me – maybe a little citrus twang. Poured into my glass, it was very heady and a nice light amber color with a fairly clear body. It still didn’t really smell much like anything more than a beer.

Both pro and retronasal, there wasn’t a lot of pop to a plum flavor, which when the beer advertises itself as a Wild Plum beer made with Fresh Picked Wild Plums… I kind of expect that plum flavor somewhere. I don’t know if it just got lost in the stronger yeast flavors of the beer, but I really couldn’t pick up any lick of plum. Maybe if I thought really hard about at the end. Maybe if I pictured a plum mentally while drinking it.

Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with this beer and I probably wouldn’t try it again. I would probably try it on tap if I were to ever find it, since I think that might be the only thing to make that distinct stone fruit flavor pop out.

I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t like it. I’d pick it over a non-craft beer any day, but I was really hoping for more of that sweet, juicy plum on my tongue.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a massive head that is slow to settle to a thick cap. Quite a bit of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Pleasant fruity aroma by wheat and yeast phenols. There is a lot going on. Pick up notes of pears and apples. As the beer warms more of the spicy phenols come out. Cannot say that I can actually smell any plums.

A little too much phenols is the flavor. Something most American saisons suffer from. Nice fruity flavor with light tartness of pale fruits like grapes and pears. Maybe some plums. Finishes with the yeast phenols.

Light body and pleasantly carbonated.

A nice, easy drinking beer.

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Duvel tulip glass. Can says drink by 12/04/13.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy yellowish golden orange with a lot of bubbles. Huge five finger white head that takes up most of the glass and slowly fades into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A yeasty and wheat driven aroma with good hints of fruit and spice. Upfront Belgian yeast with farmhouse funk and hints of clove, white pepper, and coriander spicing. Pale malt with hints of wheat, grains, straw, hay, and cracker. Juicy fruit hints of pear, apple, banana, and white grape. Citrus fruit hints of orange, pineapple, and lemon zest. Noticeable hints of the plums along with a little prune and raisin. Slight hints of candied sugar. Some subtle earthy hops as well. A very good aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a yeasty saison taste with good notes of fruits and spices. Big taste of Belgian yeast upfront with farmhouse funk and spice notes of clove, white peppers, and coriander. Big taste of juicy fruits with notes of apple, pear, banana, and white grapes. Also some citrus fruit notes of orange, lemon zest, and pineapple. Bready pale malt with notes of grains, wheat, straw, hay, and crackers. Taste of dark fruits come through with good notes of plum and some raisin and prune. A little candied sugar adds some sweetness. A very nice fruity saison taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and nicely prickly and smooth.

Overall: A very good twist on a Saison. Good yeast, fruit, and spice presence with a nice added kick of plum.

Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company