überPils | Blue Mountain Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Availability: Summer

Added by CrellMoset on 07-05-2009

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

A solid beer was 2.00 for a 16 oz on draft at a cheap bar by my house for that price it's worth it

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

2.86/5  rDev -23.9%

Served in a pint glass at Brixx. From notes. Reviewed 11 July 2011.

A: Super-clear. No head. No effervesce. Some white foam on the edges. Bright yellow. A deceptively pretty colour.

S: Lots of grain. Very (American) lagery. Not my thing, but not entirely unpleasant either.

T: See smell. Not terrible, but I don't like it. Noticeable alcohol, lots of sweet grain, smooth. Almost dry on the endtaste? No. Too much grain.

M: Round, sweet-smooth, and not too much to bitch about.

O: I couldn't even finish it. Too strong, too lagery, too mediocre to recover from the immense graininess.

2.98/5  rDev -20.7%

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 750 ml cork and caged bottle into my Heavy Seas pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color with about 3 fingers head. Looks exactly the way I would expect for the style.

Smell: Sadly, this smells like any old adjunct, with a bit more alcohol. I get mostly sweet grains and a lot of alcohol smell coming through.

Taste: The taste is of sweet grain, a slight malt taste up front, but mostly alcohol flavor and burn. For a 7% brew, this packs a huge punch and reminds me more of a malt liquor than a quality pilsner.

Mouthfeel: I have to say that the mouthfeel was a little syrupy for a pilsner. Pretty rough.

Overall: I think this was definitely a miss for Blue Mountain. I really enjoy most of their beers, but getting through a full bomber of this was a struggle. Maybe I haven't grown accustomed to the style, but it tastes like a super thick, super sweet BMC beer to me. I don't completely hate the brew, but definitely wouldn't buy again at the price point this is sold at!

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

überPils from Blue Mountain Brewery