Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hopworks IPA | Hopworks Urban Brewery

Oregon, United States
hopworksbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by John_M on 10-19-2007

I found it. I've read somewhere that if Ghod had a beer on tap, then the Abyss would be it. I havent had the Abyss yet, its aging in my fridge right now...But I have to argue that this would be Ghods beer. Medium to little head, but thats what you get with cask.

The initial look was a yellowy pinkish orange/brown color. The smell was subtle and fresh from across the table but when it reaches your face, you just stop. and breath. So fresh and brittle but straight and full of herbal remedies. I wanted to just sit and smell this. I compare it to cannabis. Not a skunky strong lingering smell but openness and like a flowering plant blowing on a cool breezy 70 degree mountain hillside.

The taste was unbelievable. I could drink it all day and only that forever. Again, I got a taste of weed and in every sip but not overpowering and unflavorful. It had every flavor I want in an IPA.

I could go on but this was just amazing

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

I found my perfect IPA. The one that does exactly what I want an IPA to do. While certainly bitter, it mostly delivers layers upon layers of amazing mango and peach fruit. Apparent both in the nose and palate. So, the bitterness is just along for the ride, not the main player. At least, that's what I'm looking for.

The color is a brilliant orange and the texture is downright lovely.

Altogether, basically a perfect beer. I had to leave myself a bit of room to go higher if I ever found something "better", hence the two 4.5s.

I smuggled back a selection of NW beers on a recent trip and would not have grabbed this one were it not for the insistence of the guy working the beer section at Newport Mkt in Bend, OR. Thanks dude! This beer freaking rocks.

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Growler fill from the brewery.

appearance - golden/amber with tiny bubbles, excellent full head, good retention, sticky lacing

smell - big earthy and spicy hop nose

taste - earthy and resinous hops, hop forward, dank flavor, strong hop bitterness, a huge hop showcase, slightly bready body

mouthfeel - full bodied, well carbonated, slightly dry finish

drinkability - exceptional ipa, especially when fresh off the taps, not much to complain about

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful, smooth taste. One of the best bottled IPA I ever tasted.

Hopworks IPA from Hopworks Urban Brewery