Hopworks IPA | Hopworks Urban Brewery

hopworksbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by John_M on 10-19-2007

2.28/5  rDev -44.7%

A - Amber leaning toward yellow. Fluffy white head that disappears into nothing.
S - Not much here.
T - Not overly bitter, which is good, but it also doesn't balance out the bitterness is does have with sweetness. It lacks the citrusy hops I want in an IPA.
M - Thin and dry.
O - I won't be buying this one again.

2.49/5  rDev -39.6%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Aaron. Thank you! No freshness date...argh.

Pours a dehydrated yellow with a razor thin cover and some minimal soapy cling.

Smells, well, old. Yeast, crackers, and some soap. My sniffer tells me this may not be the freshest bottle. Either that or this is one weak smelling IPA.

Oregano and tin foil all over this beer. Sourdough bread, yeast of burden, and a finish of grass and leaves. Damn, this is disappointing. I had a buddy who'd frequent Portland often and he sang the praises of this beer. I sure don't see it. The metallic vibe is really distracting. What's up with this?

Distraction upon distraction upon a vain attempt to understand.

Please, please say this is an old bottle. Then again, why would I be happy drinking that?

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

3.07/5  rDev -25.5%

A: gorgeous crystal clear orange amber with a tall white head that falls to a lacy white ring

S: althought this beer has a reputation for a huge citrous presence, I am not getting a lot of that - hops seem more grassy and muted more than anything else

T: relatively malty balance for an IPA - hops are coming through at the end with some grapefruit and a clean bitter finish

M: med-full mouthfeel and just a bit warm - especially warm for the style

O: I'm really wondering how what I'm drinking matches up to what I've read about this beer - the comments and reviews by others seem all over the map (cloudy vs clear, hoppy vs malty, big vs little etc). I think this is a decent IPA, sort of middle of the road in most respects, balanced towards malt, and it seems much warmer than I'd expect from 6.6% ABV. Enjoyable, and with a very nice presentation, I'd be happy to drink a few of these.

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.16/5  rDev -23.3%

I'm big on IPA's (like many) and this time around I was less impressed than when I had it a year ago while dining at their brewpub in Portland, OR.

Definitely taste the pine in this IPA, perhaps from the Amarillo hops it has. Certainly a very serviceable IPA. A year ago I really enjoyed this beer on draft at the brewpub, but then again, pretty much all beer tastes better on draft at the brewpub.

There is a nice balance of hops here without much sweetness. Overall I like it a lot, but there are others I'd choose over this if the choice were there.

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -21.4%

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz poured to tulip

Pours a hazy amber. 1 finger of head disappears immediately. Hop particles, I assume, left in the bottom of the bottle

Faint citrusy aroma

First note is kind of grassy, Rounds out with a full sweetness and orange and sugar cookie. Decent bitterness and some resiny pine hiding in the aftertaste

Seems a little slick on mouthfeel... more carbonation would help

Overall: I really wanted to love this beer, but none of the elements struck me as outstanding. Head / head retention is an issue for me, and the initial grassy hit in the flavor is overpowering

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%