Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA) | Hopworks Urban Brewery

good
Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)

Hopworks Urban Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by ccrida on 03-27-2008

Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 117
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I'm pretty sure the only other strong ale I have had is Arrogant Bastard. I just cracked open the bottle and it really smells nothing like Arrogant Bastard, so we shall see. Pours maybe a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The beer was fighting me in the way of head, I poured it pretty aggressively and it only gave me a little bit. The head is about 50% small bubbles, 25% big bubbles and 25% medium bubbles, not really creamy or soapy or anything like that, just looks like your standard head. It might be just a hair off white in color. We will see about lacing once I start to drink the beer, head retention is decent, but I didn't get a whole lot to start out with. The body is somewhat see through, but dark enough that I can't see all too much. The body is a dark orange with hints or red in it, I will say that it looks somewhat similar to Arrogant Bastard. Carbonation looks about medium. Like I said we will see how the lacing goes, but so far I am liking the look of this beer. The head has gone substantially but there is still a solid layer of foam on top of the body. Now that I'm smelling it for a second time....not much has changed, it still doesn't smell anything like Arrogant Bastard. It's a pretty standard ale smell, decent amount of hops, maybe a touch more malts than hops. Pretty clean smelling, refreshing, etc. Maybe some roasted or caramel malts. I do get a bit of a yeast smell in here, which is a little surprising. There isn't much in the way of alcohol on the nose, which is good. Overall it smells good, just very standard and really nothing to write home about. That's a very interesting beer, just like the last Hopworks beer I had was. It's really hitting me at all angles and I can't tell if I like it or not. There really isn't one dominating flavor, but I'll try to just start from the beginning. There are some hops in here, but they are for sure less than the malts, again though, like with the last Hopworks beer, the malts aren't super overpowering, which is good. This beer is very sweet, but not overly sweet, one thing this brewery does great is not overdoing it in any category, with that being said, they have so far underdone it a tiny bit in the hops category, this beer included. I do get a very nice like...maybe holiday spice in the background of this beer, maybe cinnamon or something like that? It's very nice, hard to identify, but it adds character to a beer that is already pretty complex. There also may be just a hair of fruit in here, but it is very small if there is any. There is more of an alcohol presence than I thought there would be, but frankly it adds a nice touch to the flavor. When I first sipped this beer I really wasn't going too nuts over it, I was thinking 3.5, but now that I've had a few more sips it's kinda growing on me, I'm thinking 4, because it's not a bad tasting beer, and it's very very complex. Maybe it even deserves more than a 4, but for now I'm not going to make any big leaps. Mouthfeel is about where it should be, the body is a little thin for my liking, but I suppose it's big enough for the style. The alcohol leaves a bite in your mouth and that really dominates the mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty low and doesn't affect the mouthfeel much. Overall a pretty good mouthfeel. Drinkability is....eh, not bad. The alcohol is for sure more present than I thought it would be when I smelled the beer, but it's not ridiculous and it adds to the flavor of the beer nicely. It's really not a hard beer to drink, it goes down pretty well for a strong ale. Overall this is a pretty dang good beer, super complex and not a bad flavor at all. The beer really grew on me, and I can for sure give it a solid 4 for taste. As for appearance, the lacing was just like the last Hopworks beer I had, amazing to start out with, and then got very patchy, still a solid 4 because of the lacing to start out with and the good looking body. Overall a pretty good beer.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz Pils glass, as the tap takeover at the Underground grinds along on a Monday night.

This beer appears a murky, dark orange brick amber colour, with one thick finger of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy beige head, which leaves a broken wall of old concrete lace around the glass as it evenly bleeds away.

It smells of bready, light sugary caramel malt, red wine grapes, spiced apple pie, earthy yeast, and peppy leafy, weedy, and citrusy hops. The taste is grainy caramel malt, complex and confounding ripe orchard fruit, a hint of white pepper spice, and still up for it leafy, citrusy, and hay-like hops.

The bubbles are quite understated, and barely noticeable at times, the body an adequate medium weight, and plainly smooth, the fruity esters yo-yoing about. It finishes perfectly off-dry, the malt dancing a dance of fools with the playfully schizoid fruitiness.

An enjoyable and drinkable hopped up red ale, the fruity essences ruling the day. Could see putting back a few of these on another occasion, given how it hides its near 7 points of alcohol so well - worthy of checking out.

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

A: amber color with red tints all around, minimal head followed by minimal lacing

S: sweet malts, acidic fruits...smoke from bar

T: bang on! smooth caramel and malt with flowery hop kick at the end. Sweetness is reminiscent of a fruits (apple, oranges) sweet. Never had this brew, never heard of it, and it has made its way to the top of my list for it's kind. Great overall body and taste with nice touch of bitterness, super well rounded. Great vibe!

M: medium body and carbonation

D: yea, great drinker, nice-nice beer!

Split a bottle at Belmont Station. Man, this yet another great beer from Hopworks. It comes off sort of like an extra big ESB. The malt has a delicious sugar cookie taste that's backed up by a spicy hop kick. Overall this is a well-balanced strong ale with a lot of character. Check it out.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours red-tinges amber with a fading head.
Malty aroma of bready melanoidin malt and spicy hops. Somewhat faint.
Similarly malty flavours with more bready malt and golden syrup, along with a bit of nutty malt. Finishes sweet with a little booze and a mild bitterness.
Could use more carbonation and a lighter body.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Was just at the pub, but bought a bottle of this before hand because I knew I was going to try 2 of their other offerings before this one... so I got a bomber for at home... poured into my new Hopworks full pint glass and opened with my free Hopworks keychain opener.. lol.. love the stuff..

- Nice red-ale color... dark amber, coper.. clear.. thin eggshell head.. lacing all about..

- Roasted grain and malt... barley... smells earthy, grainy, and good! Nothing like the all-natural sugars for this yeast to munch on... really smells like a true ale.. bit of some mild bittering.. but seems balance is what is in store.. bit of brown sugar.. must be what it is!

- Smooth sweet grain.. caramel, bread, barley and malt mash... just a huge grain profile... seriously good, and in a way that would make a hop-head look at other alternatives for their favorite beers...

- Little dry, chewy from the grain.. light alcohol leftovers..

- Carbonated well.. almost too well.. but right for the style, so i can't say it's too much. Very drinkable as there isn't much of an alcohol burn at all. Overall a very good unique ale.. something every beer lover should try.

Must say.. today was my first Hopworks experience.. and I have lived in the Portland Metro area all my life... but I have seriously found a new favorite brewer and place to hang when i can get down there!

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a pint (nonic) glass at 52 degrees as instructed (50-55).

Pours a nice orange amber, hitting the glass and making a real foamy off tan head. Four fingers deep, and settling down to three with very good retention and top. Body is a bit dull and goes more to a dull orange/rust and brown color. Kind of dull looking otherwise not too bad.

Nose is real impressive. Fruit powder sugar of cherry. Light herbal tea hop notes. Light maple syrup sweetness. Maybe even a little bit of marmalade orange sensations also. Quite unique and appetizing!

Palate hits with a real nice juicy fruit character. Chewing gum like fruit hubba bubba, tea like aromatic bitters mixing with sweet malts and light maple syrup also. Bouquet brings all the notes to the palate nicely. A bit of powdered cinnamon toast quality and bready brown crust on the finish too. Body has moderate carbonation, even some depth but a very light feel to it strangely enough.

This is my first Hopworks brew I've had and so far I am very impressed.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: like an brown/amber beer bottle

S: fresh, light, pineapple, green grape; green leaf

T: refreshing, slightly bitter finish, not a strong hop character; well balanced malt/hops; very appealing; surprised that it's 6.9% alcohol-- no heat or heaviness at all.

M: medium bodied

O: a really nice "house" beer. I love beers with lots of character and big flavours but sometimes I just want a simple likeable good beer -- and this is it.

Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA) from Hopworks Urban Brewery