Ace Of Spades | Hopworks Urban Brewery

hopworksbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Docer on 08-26-2009

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Vintage 2011, unknown bottle date:

A: Hazy toasted apricot ale is topped with less than single finger of white foam. This falls in moments to a sheet of the same. No lacing.

S: Lots of sharp citrus notes here. The amarillo's in this are a bit overdone IMO. Lots of grapefruit, some peaches, cat piss and onion. Can't say I'm impressed, but don't feel disappointed really. Just kinda, meh.

T: Super sweet. Super bitter. It's hard to address, but it is certainly both really bitter and really sweet simultaneously. The bitterness is resiny, citric peels, spicy (think raw peppercorn). The sweetness is peaches, malts, caramels, pralines. This is quite a complex IIPA.

M: Medium on heavy for the style with moderate carbonation. Dry finish. Not quite what I look for in the style, but certainly fitting for the beer's personality.

O: I'm really torn on this beer. The appearance is far from impressive. The smell is not particularly good, almost dislike. The mouthfeel is forgettable. The taste, the taste is really nice. I would like to see more reviews on this beer to see if there is something I'm missing about this, if I got a chill haze beer, or what. It's good, not great and far from exceptional. Adjust the aromatic hop additions and we'll see how this beer improves.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

I've had this both on tap at the brewery and out of a bottle. This review is observed from a 22oz bottle poured into a belgian-style stemmed glass. Even had a foil cap on it from the release...nice.

appearance - pours with a nice head, leaves some lacing on the glass, transparent orange/amber

smell - piney and resinous hops on the nose, very earthy smell

taste - incredibly piney hops, some caramel malts back this thing up, but as you continue to drink it the hops dominate, finishes with an alcohol and bitter taste

mouthfeel - medium, silky, light carbonation

drinkability - while the hops dominate this beer and make it very delightful, the alcohol is really strong and i get wasted just thinking about the beer

I have to warn...in the two times I've drank this beer it has given me a horrible hangover. I'm rarely destroyed by beers like this so don't be surprised if you experience a similar situation.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter.

A- This beer pours a dark orange color with little carbonaton activity present or head. There is a small less one finger white head and no lacing to speak of. Overall not a great looking beer but standard for IPA's and DIPA's.

S- To me this is a weak smelling beer. For a DIPA I am expecting massive hops, piney, and bitterness however I am not picking up on any of these. I am getting rather mellow notes coming of the top of this beer. Smell is not this beers strong suit.

T- The muted nature found in the smell carries over, to a lesser degree, in the taste. I am picking up muted flavors and a small bitter aftertaste. Nothing overwhelming or outstanding in the taste of this beer. Don't get me wring I think the taste of this beer is fine however when I compare this beer to other DIPA's I have had in the past this beer seems to be a weaker version. Overal an average tasting beer that leaves a lot to long for.

I recieved this from madhombrewer and unfortunateley this beer does not live up to other Hopworks offerings. This is a decent tasting beer and maybe Hopworks is a victim of its own success. I will certainly try an other beers from Hopworks I can get my hands on but I don't think this will be one.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Sampled at the brewpub today.

The beer pours an amber orange color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose I get a considerable amount of green tobacco, pepper and citrus, coupled with some noticeable malt and alcohol. This smells as if it will be a good size DIPA, which of course it is. Flavors replicate the nose in this DIPA, with the beer showing a bit more sweet malt then I expected. The beer also has considerable bitterness in the finish, but the sweetness and noticeable alcohol detract just a bit from the beer's drinkability.

While this is an impressive DIPA, I have to confess that I preferred the regular IPA offering. There's just a bit too much alcohol and sweet malt in this beer, which I think is a distraction. Still, this is a pretty impressive DIPA from this excellent brewery.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Had the first batch in growler, this is the latest on tap. The closest thing I can compare this to is Fish 10 Squared. This has a nice hop profile but has a ton of the sugary malt and booze. Clear dark orange color. This is almost barelywine-esque on tap, the first batch felt lighter. It has a depth to it with the pine balanced by the trademark Hopworks sugar cookie backbone, significant alcohol in the nose and on the tongue. Touch of biscuit and bread long into the aftertaste. Very good, not great.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Acquired via trade...thanks Mike. 22 ounce bottle poured into a SA perfect pint glass. Comes in at 9.5% and 100+ IBUs. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a crystal clear amber color and it has a one finger off white head that dissolves quickly into a bubbly ring. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Not much lace is left in between sips.

S-Off the bat the aroma reminds me of some of the better Midwest DIPAs that I have smapled. There is plenty of tropical fruit flavors such as pineapple and mango. Grapefruit is also prevalent. It has a sweetness to it that gives the beer a candied fruit aroma. It also has an earthy/dusty element to it. As it warms it gets more and more resiny.

T-Lot of hop flavor in this one. It is quite resiny. Midway through each sip it hits the tongue with bitterness and booze. The tropical fruit flavors are more noticeable in between sips. It has a big malt backbone and caramel sweetness lingers.

M-Thicker bodied with a creamy mouthfeel.

D-This seems stronger than 9.5%. I had this beer after a big dinner and I started to feel it after the first 10 ounces. This is one to sip on.

This is a really big DIPA. I would like to see some of the booze toned down. The hop profile is really nice. Hoping to try this on tap.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

22 oz. bottle from John's Marketplace PDX poured into Piraat snifter 5.24.2010.

3/4 finger white head, medium dissipation with minimal lacing. Orangish amber body with some visible carbonation. Nose is fruity sweet. Taste is of stonefruit, peaches mangoes, malt is subsumed by the hop bill. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, with some noticeable effervescence. Need to be careful re drinkability at this ABV. Actually I prefer the tap version, which is quite a bit more brighter and less fruity.

Ace Of Spades from Hopworks Urban Brewery