Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jdense on 03-22-2010

3.65/5  rDev -9%

On tap at the pub.

A - Poured a clear reddish amber with a thin cream colored head. The head fades quickly but leaves spots of lacing on the glass.

S - Not much here. Some sweet bready malts and heat.

T - Similar to the smell. Sweet bread and malty.

D - Decent carbonation and a light, thin body.

O - Hot and lifeless. Not a ton of flavor here.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.81/5  rDev -5%

Another mislabeled beer...

THE LOOK of this rarity was "pale ale" or "IPA" not "red ale" at all. It's a very attractive beer, but unfortunately it's totally inaccurately described. Con.

THE SMELL is of piney, sweet hops. The intense hopping is very evident in the aroma and was expected given the "100+ IBU's" on the label, but the sweetness is unique. In that respect, it is closer to an "imperial red ale" than an IPA after all. To me, this is like an unfiltered barleywine. Very nice smelling, for sure.

THE TASTE is of caramel, oranges, and some bready malt flavors. It is deceptively sweet in that the alcohol is almost completely masked via the sweetness. However, there is a bit of heavy, winyness to it. Galactic Imperial Red is also a little spicy. Very good balance, but a very hot and sweet beer in general.

THE FEEL, as with the taste, is big, intense, and hot. It's very wet too and there's a lot of alcohol burn in this one.

CONCLUSION: This beer is so insanely hoppy that it is borderline undrinkable unless cold or drank with food. I can appreciate it for what it is but 22oz is just too much for one sane human. A 10oz sampling would be plenty, but the day you see one of these small, progressive breweries put something in a bottle that small will be the day pigs are flying.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours out a lovely golden copper, medium carbonation and about a finger of frothy, off-white head.

Nose is delicate, not overpowering with some piney hops and some cracker-like maltiness.

After the sip, pine oil up front(very Christmasy), very sweet malty character. Some cinnamon, brown sugar cookie notes. Mouthfeel is on the medium heavy side. Definitely imperial and sweet with a bitter pine finish.

Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a very clear amber with a thin off-white head that leaves some decent lacing.

Aromas begin with a crap ton of citrus hops. There is a light floral note to go along with a little caramel and bready malts.

The tastes begin with a boat ton of bitter citrus hops. Very sweet with an almost candy/sugar sweetness. Hints of tropical fruits as well as citrus peel and pine.

The mouthfeel is medium to full in body with a medium level of carbonation.

Overall this was really a let down for me. I had hoped for a nice hoppy red ale, but that's not what I got. Too sweet and bitter without malt balance. Pass...

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ the Hopworks BikeBar (Portland, OR) on 9/5/11. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a deep clear ruby, topped with a ½ finger cap of slight off-white head. The retention on this is great, with this having a rich ¾ finger flare-up when swirled, and throwing up a robust cascade of spotty lace onto the sides of the glass. The aroma smells floral, piney, and VERY spicy. Underneath lays a green and ripe feeling twang of grapefruit, sweet caramel, and burnt toast. Man, this has a real flavorful power to it in the nostrils.

The taste is aggressive with the hop flavors here, with a bold grapefruit character and assertive notes of resins and spice. This is buffered by a malty backbone of caramel (which really takes to those ripe citrus flavors here) and a darker roasted feel that lingers in the finish along with leftover remnants of pine, spice, and bitter rind. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big mouth filling creaminess that spreads all of those aggressive and rich flavors out into the mouth. This is really creamy feeling underneath and while there is some light warmth to the body, there is no way that this feels almost 10%. The alcohol is extremely well hid here and I think that really speaks to the depth and robustness of the flavor profile.

This is a VERY nicely done Imperial Red, with a warm and flavorful heft to the profile that kept me coming back sip after sip. It’s awesome that this is available in bottles. I’m going to have to track a few of these down.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Medium off white to tan head recedes into a pretty decent lacing over a clear reddish copper colored ale.

Aroma is full of different things including a strong sweet caramel malt, a earthy grassy to grains, a light citrus hops, and a light pine to pine cone.

A full medium bodied beer with a sweet roasted caramel malt mixed with a light bitter hops that has a little citrus coming through and a light sweet earthy pine taste.

A lightly bitter on a dry aftertaste is all that is left of this 22 oz. bomber after a short time with this bottle on the table.

A pretty good imperial red, the taste seems to almost border on have a alcohol hint to but then seems to back off, which seems to me what beers should do, If I wanted to drink something that tasted like alcohol I'd drink whiskey or something.

Anyway give this stuff a try, it's pretty good.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

i love red ales that aim to kick the shit out of you. this is one of those. thick cream-white head, dark pretty mahogany color, the smell of boozy sweet malts, and tastes fatty thick hops that ends piny with a tea-like bitter. the malts show up in the mouthfeel/mid-pallet, sticky with a dark fruit boozyness. did i mention the booze... shit man. i dig this, i dig everything hopworks does, for the price though i'd go with ninkasi's believer.

3.51/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very nice one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is just a hair off white and is pretty fluffy and frothy. The body is a very dark red color, it's almost brown it's so dark. Really almost too dark for a red ale, but I suppose it is an imperial. Visibility through this beer is very small, but I can see a few things on the other side. Carbonation looks medium to low, and there is a fair amount of small pieces of sediment in the beer. Head retention is pretty good, I still have about an inch of head left. Lacing looks good so far, but we will see how it goes down to the bottom of the glass. Overall a very nice looking beer, we'll see how the lacing goes, but right now I like the appearance a lot. The smell is....well pretty damn standard, it smells like a pretty standard imperial red. Not to say it doesn't smell good, it does for sure, it's just not taking any big leaps. It's very sweet smelling, and pretty damn malty, some hops, but seriously low on the hops for a red ale, I guess imperial ales are sweeter and maltier, and lower on hops, but this is a little extreme for me. I mean I'm just not getting much else other than those three smells, I can smell a little alcohol in here too I guess. Overall it doesn't smell bad, just way too ordinary and not very complex. It smells like a good beer, and maybe it deserves a 4, because I can tell it's a quality brew, but I'm going to give it a 3.5 because it was 8.29$ and it's so damn ordinary. Well on the taste...this beer isn't worth 8.29$, it's really not that great, the smell was better than the taste is. It's just really really REALLY boring. The most powerful taste for sure is the alcohol, which is irritating, I know it's a double red ale, but I want to be able to taste the freaking beer. Other than that I get a little bit of malts, some sweetness and a little bit of hops, more hops than I thought I would get, which is good, but not that much more. Maybe some dark fruit in here too? I dunno. It's like....there is a huge alcohol flavor, but at the same time the beer doesn't really have much flavor, it's just not very flavorful. All the other flavors are too small to back up such a hugely alcoholic beer. It's really just super super super boring, I kinda can't get over how boring it is. Sure all the BASIC (a good ale might throw in a few extra) elements are there, but they just aren't that well done, and you can't taste them that well. The flavor isn't terrible, it's still clearly a quality brew, it's not a crap shoot, but it's for sure the worst Hopworks beer I have had, and for SURE not worth 8.29$. The mouthfeel is pretty crappy too, not much bite at all from hops or from carbonation, only from the alcohol. The carbonation is very low and the beer is far from crisp. It's a very mellow body, only character is from the alcohol. It's just feels boring and even a little watery overall. Not a great mouthfeel, it's even more boring than the taste. Drinkability is terrible, it's a very tough beer to put down not only because of the alcohol, but because there really isn't anything too amazingly tasty to this beer. Overall a pretty disappointing beer and for sure the worst beer from Hopworks that I have tried. Not a terrible beer, it's clearly a quality beer, it's just coming short in almost every flavor category. Overall nothing amazing here.

The appearance was this beers one really redeeming factor, great lacing all the way throughout the beer, and the head and the body looked great from the start

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Best bottle art ever? BEST BOTTLE ART EVER.

With that out of the way...

22 oz. bomber poured into a straight pint glass. August 18th, 2011.

A: The beer pours a dark reddish brown color with a nice fluffy head of white foam. While the lacing is not as epic as the name would suggest, it does stick around on the sides of the glass at a medium level.

S: Galactic Imperial Red gives off a strong caramel malt aroma along with some bitter pine hops and a bit of citrusy floral notes. There are also some random grassy bits floating around in there.

T: Very earthy and dank with major bread and sweet caramel and molasses malt flavors. There is a strong pine component from the hops in the beer as well, which helps to bring balance to this galactic space invader. The booziness in this beast is noticeable but not overpowering.

M: This beer has a medium body with a chewy mouth feel. It's a bitter beer that leaves your mouth feeling slightly sticky, but it's a good thing. Carbonation is medium.

O: While not really an Imperial IPA, this is a damn good imperial red ale. The retro kitsch factor from the label is what got me to buy it, but I ended up loving this beer. A great balance of over-the-top malt and hops make me one happy drinker.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

I'm currently on a hunt for the perfect hoppy red ale. I want a relatively light body, truly red malt, and the intense hops one finds in an exceptional IPA. It's a pretty rare style of beer, and I haven't had much luck, even though I live in the Pacific Northwest - the home of hops.

This beer had been recommended to me by one of the owners of the Gravity Room - whose opinion I trust - when I asked them about that style. When I saw it on tap at the Eastside Club, it was a no-brainer.

It's an imperial, so obviously I was out of luck with regards to its body. Indeed, when I asked the bartender to describe it, the first word he used was "big." It is big. It's one of those beers that might be described as a meal. Many of the reviews here criticize it for its sweetness. This is the same complaint I hear from many IPA drinkers when they have an imperial IPA. I see this almost as a compliment: Drinkers who, like me, wanted an IPA-like red ale - which focused on hops instead of malt - were disappointed because this beer features both in abundance, which is, of course, what an imperial should feature.

Though I did not find the beer I've been looking for, I still think this beer is very good. It's everything an Imperial IRA should be. The color is perfect. It's flavor has a lot of depth - the hops are bold, at once bitter and floral, and the malt is at once sweet and toasty. The alcohol is high, but not ridiculous. I'm not sure I've had a better one.

Galactic Imperial Red from Hopworks Urban Brewery