HopArt IPA | COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States
coastbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Walking a fine line of sweet malt and assertive hop character. A hop presence so enticing it truly is a work of art.

Added by MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007

Liked:
3.96/5
Alströms:

1.04/5  rDev -73.7%

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.31/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy golden/orange and exploded with a big white head of three fingers. Small patches of lacing.

Smell is surprisingly malty. Hops are very muted in the nose with the exception of a little citrus coming though. Also smells of orange zest.

Taste is malty at first then an unpleasant tannic bitterness hits the back of the tongue and lasts way too long. An adjuncty taste shows up about every other sip. The more I drink, I detect was seems like old amarillo hops. Haven't checked to see if this beer has amarillo, but I'd be suprised if it doesn't. It's about the only hop flavor I can detect, but I don't even like it.

Aside from the taste, mouthfeel is actually pleasant on the palate. Good medium body and carbonation is about right on the tongue.

At first I thought maybe the bottle wasn't fresh, so I checked the date and it was only bottled a month ago, so it should still be good. Not sure what's wrong with this beer. It was very disappointing, as I had high hopes for it. Bummer.

2.41/5  rDev -39.1%

Thanks to md655221 who sent this in an excellent trade recently. IPAs from all corners of the Earth, & potentially beyond, are always welcome in my fridge.

Pours a distinct marmalade orange. Lots of suspended stuff, & big chunks, too. I'd definitely only pour half the bottle out & leave the big yeasties alone if I had to do it over. Smell is a turn-on, big piney hop notes, makes me want to go roll around in a conifer forest.

HopArt's taste is unfortunately muddled, to be kind. The yeast gloms onto the promising hops & drowns them in thick, mildly hopped, yeasty, mildly acidic bathwater. A rollicking, unpleasant aftertaste, acidic with a side of metallic, further clouds what the brewer was going for. I'm afraid that the sediment has potentially done really poorly for this beer.

Too bad after the hot start in the nose, but this one ended up being a drain pour. A disappointing mess.

2.43/5  rDev -38.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice burnt honey color with a crapload of off white head. Several fingers worth. Light citrus and hops with some barnyard funk. Odd. Never had that in my ipa, but it's there. Taste is light citrus wrapped around malt then deep fried in malt, and of course sprinkled with malt topping. I can't get around the shitty malt taste. Another fine East Coast maltcapade.

2.49/5  rDev -37.1%

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -34.8%

Some sort of off flavor. I love IPAs, but I just don't like this one.

2.66/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks for another one Ryan!

Looks ok, straw golden with slight haze. There's not much to the aroma... take that back, there's nothing actually. Only reason it gets 2/5 instead of 1/5 is that the aroma is not disgusting.

Crisp and somewhat flavorful taste on a medium body. Good carbonation. You can tell that something is wrong with an IPA if crispness is its best feature.

Neither hops, not art; this beer is brewed with mediocrity.

3, 2, 3, 3, 2.5

2.66/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Little over a month old in a 16oz can from a trade.

L: Murky orange with small nice head.
S: No hops aroma at all. Light biscuity, hint of Munich malt I guess because it sort of reminds me of an amber lager.
T: Malty, weird, sweet.
F: Really easy drinking with light mouthfeel.
O: Below average ipa. Nothing special about this at all. Made me appreciate good pas more. I've been drinking a lot of good IPAS lately that I thought for a minute it must've been really easy to make a good ipa.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer is quite good

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

I feel like I must have gotten a different beer from everybody else. My sister and brother in law love this beer and told me and other sis to go to Poe's on Sullivans Island (cool place!) and drink the Coast IPA. What showed up in our glasses was a big disappointment, it was thick and murky, like Inishuk IPA, couldn't see anything through it. Please people, learn the art of brewing! My sister had a couple sips and pronounced she couldn't drink it so I had her's, not cause I wanted it but I didnt want to waste the money! The taste and aroma had elements of a good beer but it was completely let down by the appearance and lack of drinkability. I would not order another one. We could have had a bad keg but the other reviewers noted its cloudiness, may be it doesnt bother other people.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The description 'a malty ipa' is spot on. Personally not my favorite, but definitely unique amongst the citrus style ipas so popular today.

On draft at the brewery. Not much going on here. Bland all the way around.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

Thanks Darrell. Orange body, mild haze, quarter inch of off-white cap. Oranges, hops, grain. Grainy with mild alcohol heat. Medium bodied with some sticky resinous hops. Eh...

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Overwhelming CO2 -- especially out of the can. Hard to get to hops with so much gas presence, soda like. Light body with noticable malt. Wanted to love with the beautiful 16 oz vessel. One and done for me.

3.09/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I guess I'm a little picky about my IPAs or maybe I'm just spoiled from living in the north east but I knew as soon as I poured it in a glass I wasn't going to like it . Just as expected its just not the type of ipa that I enjoy .....the hops are muted and its heavy on malt ...not a bad beer just not for me

3.14/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into pint glass, purchased at Charleston Beer Exchange.
A- Straw yellow, small head
S- Not much here
T- A bit sweet, nice bitterness, not a ton of hop flavor
M- Slightly thin, good crisp carbonation
O- Not bad, not special, wouldn't buy again at the price.

HopArt IPA from COAST Brewing Company