32°/50° | COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States

Style: Kölsch

Our take on a kolsch style ale that is soft on the palate with a delicate malt flavor. Balanced with a touch of wheat and honey notes .Dry and wine like with a flowery hop finish.

Added by MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007

Reviews: 134 | Ratings: 335
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

So glad to grab a bottle of this in the Midlands. Pale straw golden pour has a fizzy white head that billows up and sticks around. Lots of carbonation, like a pilsner and an aroma of light grains, various melons and fruit salad. Taste is smooth and fresh with a nice kick. Lots of green grapes in the taste before a mild fruity sweetness takes over. Some buttery caramel also present, but there are enough hops present to give this brew a great body and taste. Finishes sweet and crisp. Perfect spring or summer beer here. My new favorite Kolsch.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a bottle (4/20/10) into a pint glass.

Clear golden pour. Flurry of bubble activity in the glass. Three fingers of plush white foam retain very well. Gobs of lacing stuck to the glass.

Aroma kind of reminds me of a pils. Somewhat wheaty and musty. A little grainy, as well. There's a honey-like sweetness, and like floral hops.

Flavorful kolsch. Sweet malt, some tart wheat, and a flowery hop finish.

Light bodied, appropriate carbonation. Tingly, yet still somehow smooth. Very refreshing. Highly drinkable, and surprisingly tasty for the style. I'll come back to this one as it starts to heat up.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

08/23/10- Had a bomber of this courtesy of a generous trader.
A: Very pale golden, with a nice lingering white head.
S: Mild banana, musty, slightly orange pale malts.
T: Mild orange juice, everything as expected from the smell, lemony with a nice fresh hops finish.
M: Not syrupy, nice bolder mouthfeel.
D: Awesome.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden straw color. Nice fluffy white head that leave moderate lacing and hangs around a while.

S: Fruity, yeasty, and light floral hops.

T&M: Very crisp. Floral and mild malty sweetness that fades to a more fruity hop taste and ever so mild bitterness. Nicely balanced.
Fine carbonation that finishes dry.

Coast is defintely the BEST local brewer I've tried in recent years here in the Carolinas. Way to go COAST! Keep it up.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Had this on-tap at Gene's Hofbrau.

A - Pours clear golden with a minuscule white head.

S - The sort of fruity, flowery aroma of prior Kolsches I've tasted is present here, with some sweetness

T - The light and fruity hops is very well applied here, not overpowering but give the brew its defining characteristic. The sort of earthy, wheaty, grain quality is present and everything is pleasantly balanced.

M - On the thin side of medium bodied.

Notes - Another winner from COAST.

4.95/5  rDev +19%

never thought i'd be giving a beer all 5's, but i just can't find a reason not to with this one--until two years later. for what it is, it's simply (almost) perfect. shimmering and beautiful, great head and lace, the taste and smell of fresh grain accompanied by an intriguing fruitiness and perfectly balanced by the hops. i would drink this (and shower with it, pour it over my cereal, etc.) every day if it were available in my area.

5/pint (yikes)

v: oz1 al1 2.5

I had this on tap and from the bottle. Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. It pours a very light straw color. A 3 inch almost white head reduces to a nice lacing. Carbonation is definitely visible.

The aroma is grains with an almost grassy component. The wheat is there and I think I'm picking up just a bit of apple.

The taste is starts with a malty/wheaty note and then I pick up more of a grassy/noble hops presence. Interesting lemon component at the end.

The mouthfeel is light bodied, clean and crisp. Carbonation is slightly elevated, but that seems to balance the flavor. A very nice dryness lingers at the finish and there is perhaps just a hint of sour bite.

This is a solid beer. It is not my preferred style and I definitely enjoyed this. The taste that I had at the brewery was solid and this one, bottled on 8/10/11 was good as well. It is a nice, light, and easy beer to drink.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally getting to try some much heralded Coast beer...pretty much the highlight grab from my recent trip to South Carolina.

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into my Gaffel Kolsch stange.

Beer pours a very effervescent, bright yellow with about two fingers of brilliant white head. Great head retention and very nice lacing.

Smell is crisp, clean and dry. The Hallertau hops are at the forefront providing that quintessential German aroma. The pale malts provide a hint of sweetness. The taste is dry and unmistakably a kolsch. The pale malts and German hops provide a light, soft taste. There's a hint of honey like sweetness at the end of each sip. Different, but very tasty.

The mouthfeel is light and eminently drinkable. The carbonation is very prominent and it provide a prickly quality to the mouthfeel.

Overall, a really nice kolsch. Nice to get a fresh bottle while in Charleston and enjoy this beer. I frequent Charleston a lot and will be drinking this one again and again.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am ecstatic that COAST has hit Myrtle Beach. About f'ng time if you ask me. This brewery has been hyped to the extreme and I need to test their wares.

The beer pulls a crystal golden color, with a solid head of tiny bubbles that just don't want to leave. The lacing is nice.

The smell is light malt and bready notes with a wee bit of alcohol in the back.

The taste follows the nose, there is little flavor, but the beer is extremelt crisp and refreshing. This is an excellent summer beer to drink in large quantities. Good Job Coast, I cannot wait to get some more of your offerings.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I've had it many times at COAST, and at a few restaurants and bars around town.

It's very pale and perfectly clear - I think it's the only beer that COAST actually filters, and only because people expect it. I've tasted it unfiltered though, a lucky occasion I think. But it looks beautiful and has a decent white head.
I love the smell and taste of it. You can smell the light fruity German hop pallet and the taste has almost no bitterness but incredible hop flavor, balanced by the light sweetness in the malt. Nothing is too much and nothing is underdone. I love this beer and I could drink it in any situation for any period of time.

I hope I'm not slanting my opinions too much because this brewery is in the town where I live, but it's rare that I can find something I'd rather go drink than this or COAST's other brews.

I've certainly had this one the most, though.

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Procured by my epic best neighbors ever on their trip back to the states. My first ever beer from Coast Brewing Company, CBC, poured from the bomber into my pilsner cup...

A - Clear dehydrated piss yellow, with one finger of white cap carbonation leaves lacing down the glass.

S - Sweet, cut grass, and wheat on the nose. I wish I could detect more.

T - Refreshing wheat, with a small bite of hop in the front adding spice. Smooth pilsner malt keeps it down to earth.

M - Full body, brilliant large and medium bubble carbonation, nice and chewy. Possibly the best bodied kolsch I've ever had.

CBC thank you, hands down the best Kolsch I have ever tasted. The flavor and mouthfeel are superb.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into my pint glass with a very thin head. And unremarkable pale yellow color. Very clear.
Smells malty and bready. Perhaps some light citrus notes and some sweetness, which I presume to be honey.
Taste is great for the style. Sweet up front and some light hoppiness toward the back. Great balance of between the hops and malt. The honey makes a nice addition here. Outstanding.
Medium to high carbonation but extremely crisp and smooth. Slightly dry toward the end, with bit of sweet hang.
Overall a great beer for the style. It meets the requirements in all departments except appearance but that is easily forgiven. Wonderful spring/summer beer, but would be tasty enough to have any time of year.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Hazy lemon color. Head is minimal but stays for a good amount of time.

S: Light on the smell. A little lemon and yeast.

T: Smooth, lemon, yeast, good hop backbone. Balanced well. A lot of flavors for a lighter beer. Malt is there but not overpowering.

M: Sits great for a light beer. The bubbles are light on the palate and a good amount of malt comes through.

Overall a great go at the style. A good blend of flavors and has the perfect amount of body for a lighter beer. COAST seems to make some killer beers: I recommend grabbing one if you ever see it.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Growler purchased at the Charleston Beer Exchange for ~$15 with tax. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass. I want to preface this review with the fact that I typically do not care for this style. It just seems like most of the options I have had didn't bring a lot to the table that a glass of water doesn't already bring.

A: Crystal clear straw like yellow with a large head that does settle a bit but never completely goes away. What is there leaves huge sheets of lacing on the side of the glass. This one definitely looks better than the other examples of the style I have seen.

S: Aroma is composed of paler malt with hints of lemon and grassy hops. It has definitely gotten my attention.

T: The taste follows what I got from the aroma. Very pale malts provide a hint of sweetness and the citrus and grassy hops balance out the beer leaving a nice crisp finish. This beer doesn't wow you with flavor like some other bigger style brews, but it is damn refreshing and does let you know you are actually drinking a beer. The best tasting example I have had.

M: Thin body, but I would not call it watery at all. The carbonation adds just a small amount of tickling to the tongue.

D: This one goes down super fast, especially when you are at the beach in the hot and humid south.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

I have been curious about this brewery ever since Coast's Jack Daniels Barrel Aged Blackbeerd Imperial Stout broke into the Best of BA.

This is my first offering from this brewery, thanks for making this happen in our trade Chris.

A: The beer has some extreme pallor, one of the palest beers I have seen. Active carbonation is visible in the pint glass it was poured into. A stark while head that dissipates into the every familiar asymmetrical saliva. This beer screams delicate, unlike the fiery brimstone stouts I'm used to drinking. Something about it that's not inspiring still.

S: Tame in aroma. Pale malts and a small floral aroma, maybe the label is making me think this...no it does have that aroma to it.

T: The taste has pale malts that fades into a nice balance of sweetness and dryness. It's excessively clean, as the color would lead you to believe. Maybe my palate was receptive to it after reading the ingredients, but the honey in this beer leaves just the trace of honey in the midst of the dry finish.

M: This beer's body matches it's other characteristics, a light-bodied brew with carbonation that brushes the front of the tongue.

D: An example of a beer that is light, crisp, and enjoyable...yep extremely enjoyable. Go Kölsch, go.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a take on the Kolsch style by David Merritt, a former brewer for Palmetto Brewing and the Head Brewer/Owner of Coast Brewing.
Davis and his wife, Jamie were active in the legislative movement to get the abv cap raised here in SC. Once this movement succeeded, the damn broke and great craft beer flooded into the state.

A. A great yellow hazy brew with a moderate head and slight lacing.

S. Good healthy malt background with a hint of hop. A clean fruity aroma.

T. Very true to the style with a clean finish. On the negative, I heard a beer fan state "it could have used a week." When I stopped by earlier in the week they were still filtering the beer with the deadline of their opening looming on the horizon. I will follow this beer in the future and I know it will only continue to refine itself.

M. Very clean and refreshing finish. Among the non-"Hop Heads" at this opening, this was a favorite. Need I say more?

D. Very drinkable, very clean, very true to Kolsches. This is a style that the US has wrongly not yet embraced.

A great light session beer!!!!

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Most important in tasting Coast's 32/50 is to first understand the purpose of this particular brew. This Kolsch is exceptionally light on the palate and is meant as more of a cleansing agent than a pairing beer. Upon knowing and appreciating that, one will find that it does its job exceptionally well.

From a personal standpoint, pilsners have never struck much of a chord with me as I have always found them to be rather bland and lifeless. This particular pils has changed my mind entirely as it still manages to encapsulate the classic pils smells and tastes while adding many layers of intricacy. The nicest part about the brew however is the fact that it enhances whatever you may eat or drink following the beer as your palate is freshened and clear of any distracting agents. I will certainly have this again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pale yellow in color, very nice one finger creamy white head, lots of carbonation. This looks very refreshing and adds some decent lacing down the glass as well.
On the aroma side of this I smell wheat and a wonderful herbal hop aroma.
The taste starts with wheat followed by a slight touch of honey and finishes with the slightest herbal hop flavor.
This is a light bodied beer, it's crisp too. Starts with the wheat and finishes with herbal, flowery hops and honey and leaves almost no aftertaste.
This is an extremely pleasant beer for the summer season and one I would love to enjoy again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a slightly hazy yellow; attractive with great head and some solid lacing, but the haze is not quite correct to style, as kolsches are traditionally filtered.
S: Light cereal grains and grassy, floral hops predominate. Some slight lemon and fruit characteristics from esters. It smells incredibly refreshing and pleasant.
T: a slight touch of grainy wheat taste is complemented marvelously by a bit of light malt sweetness; hops noticeable with a floral aspect that includes some melon and hay, along with some lemon zest. No component overpowers and it is light and refreshing; by far the best-tasting Kölsch I've tried.
F: medium-heavy carbonation with a light-medium body is correct for style and quenching. Very drinkable as a kolsch should be and I'd have no problem sessioning this beer.
Overall, a great beer that serves as a standard bearer for taste, smell, and drinkability in the style. Lives up to its place as the top kolsch on BA.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle dated 051112 poured into a Spaten stange.

Tried to find this one on tap but my timing didnt work out so it's a bottle I go:

A - very light, cloudy yellow. Billowy head with tight, tiny bubbles that fades but leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S - lemons, wheat, slight barnyard. A tartness is present but faint. Suprisingly good nose for such a mild style. Spiceness and wheat are upfront.

T - taste follows the nose. Almost like a light german wheat beer. Not really a fan of this style but I find myself wanting to drink more of this. I have a quest for a good drinking, flavorful summer brew and I think I may have a winner.

M - light to medium. Carbonation brings a nice balance and the finish is so smooth.

O - I have to admit that I am not real familiar with this style, and my expectations were low. This offering from COAST really exceeded them by alot. I am glad I got two bottles so I can enjoy it again later. A really good summer brew that can be enjoyed anytime. If you can get your hands on this, do yourself a favor and grab it.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

COAST 32°/50°

A: This highly-rated Kölsch-style ale pours a gorgeous, moderately hazy, golden hay color. Unfortunately, this haze is off-style and may be due to a lack of filtration or the wheat grist (which is actually authentic, however rare). A light dusting of the first snow of the season sits atop the hay, and equally disappointingly quickly melts away into a small crust. Lacing is moderate, thankfully. The appearance needs a little work to fit into the very forgiving style guidelines. 3.25/5

A: This is more like it. Apple, pear, a bit of grape must, and spicy hops all mingle together perfectly, ticking all the Kölsch boxes. Slightly sweet bready malts and just a hint of both honey and sulfur round it out. Honestly, a textbook-smelling example of the style. What more could you want, apart from just a little more intensity. 4.75/5

T: As if the beer read that last comment, the intensity that was wanting in the nose is present here. Of course it is not intense in the same sense as an imperial stout, lambic, or IPA, but it is full-flavored and all one can ask for in what is certainly a style defined by subtleties. Lemony, spicy, and floral hops dominate the front end followed by slightly sweet grapiness and pear esters. A slight apple bite hits next. Honeyed malts and slight breadiness, never coming within a country mile of cloying territory, come toward the middle of the mouth. Then, a striking minerality akin to well water accompanied by spicy bitterness and a moderate drying sensation cleans out the palate, leaving traces of grape must, grassy bitterness, and only the impression of sweetness. Sheer brilliance. 5/5

M: A medium, creamy mouthfeel injected with pleasant carbonation makes for easy drinking. The dry finish along with very mild astringency makes this truly dangerous. Extreme drinkability is the name of the game with Kölsch, and this nails it, with perhaps just a touch too much lingering bitterness being the only blight. 4.75/5

O: This is one of the best of its kind made in the United States, and it even hangs with the best German styles available here (whether that is due to freshness and importation issues is difficult to say but easy to presume). Regardless, this is a beer that I would love to buy cases of for three seasons of the year. Unfortunately, it will likely be a very long time before it is distributed to me, so I will make do with Metropolitan Krankshaft and Around the Bend Ghost of 'Lectricity in the meantime (though this beer easily edges them out with only insanely fresh draught Gaffel and Reissdorf rivaling it). Pair with a simple album full of nuance like Fiona Apple's debut, "Tidal." 5/5

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in to a tall fluted pilsner glass. Pale and straw yellow with exceptional clarity and copious amounts of active carbonation. Like watching the aerator in a golden-lit fish tank. Kind of mesmerizing. There's a nice crown of soft white foam with impressive staying power and scalloped ridges. A very lovely appearance. The aroma is soft and floral. If a beer could smell graceful, this would be the one. The taste brings a mild honey sweetness with subtle, balanced, flowery hops. The woody finish is clean and neat with just a suggestion of dinner roll bread flavor. The spritzy, biting carbonation makes the beer quenching, while the balanced body adds to the refreshment. This is the best Kolsch I've had to date. It's simple, delicious, measured, and crisp. It just hits all the right spots. I was ready to resign the Kolsch category to a poor lager imitation, but this one has renewed my hopes that there are world class varieties out there worth the distinction.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Poured a light straw straw color with 2+ fingers of pillowy crisp white head. It receded slowly and left considerable layer of foam on top of the beer.

S: It has a slightly sweet aroma with some hints of hops.

T: It has a slight malt presence on the front of the sip. Not as much sweetness as I was expecting from the smell. It has a slightly dry finish with with some hop notes. Overall this is a great beer. It hit the spot on an extremely hot day. It is incredibly refreshing. I haven't had too many Kolschs, but this is definitely the best one I have had.

The beer has a clear pale yellow color. The aroma is lemon and german malt. The taste is lemon, spice, wheat, light bitterness. Very refreshing kolsch. The best american example of the style I've had

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

A hazy straw yellow pour with a white bubbly head, this beer looks more like a Belgian White Ale than a Kolsch, but it still looks tasty. High marks all around for the classic sulfer-y Kolsch aroma and grassy-floral hops. Clean is the key to a successful Kolsch, and COAST has clean nailed. It manages to be both delicate and flavorful. Exceptional! There is an unadulterated sulfer-and-sweet wheat and honey flavor that draws me back and back and back again for more. I wonder how "to-style" this is for a Kolsch given the appearance and wheat addition; if anything, it is an improvement on the style! I initially had some problems with carbonation, and found the excessive bubbles off-putting, but with time the problem subsided. I'd buy a case of this if it was available locally.

32°/50° from COAST Brewing Company