Blackbeerd Imperial Stout | COAST Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blackbeerd Imperial StoutBlackbeerd Imperial Stout

COAST Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

As dark as the legend of Blackbeerd himself, behold the Imperial Stout. Sweet malts battle roasted grain on the decks of yer tongue. Like a blast from a cannon, hop are followed by smoked malt. Hold on to yer booty, a dark stouts a brewin'.

Added by MarkSCCOT on 12-08-2007

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 148 | Ratings: 332
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this at barley's in greenville SC hanging with mikesgroove. RIS on tap, you don't see that every day in NH to be sure.

Oh hell yeah. SO this was the reason my ass was in Barleys to begin with. The 2008 version of my lovely blackbeerd. Having been blown away by the last version, knowing this one was a little more hopped, I could not wait. Served chilled and allowed to warm before sipped, this one was consumed on 12/31/2008.

A - Pint glass handed over by the bartender with this pitch black brewk with a nice dark brown head.

S - not the best time for aroma as I've got pizza and general restaurant aromas everywhere. What I do get is roasted grains, espresso and dark malts.

T - roasted grains, espresso, molasses with a bitter note that comes up in the finish.

M -full bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth and a light abv note with a residual bitter note.

D - very approachable and if I hadn't had some beer before and pizza, I'd have had another one. Not a 2 beers and drive home brew but a 2 beers and walk back to the hotel or get driven home happy kind of beer.

4.21/5  rDev +5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick texture. There was a huge, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head and excellent lacing.

S: Aroma of malt, coffee, chocolate and some other sugars. Not the most overpowering of smells, but certainly subtle.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, vanilla and sugar. This beer doesn't have a super-complex flavor, but that doesn't stop it from being good.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a dry finish. Medium- to full-bodied. Has a nicely thick mouthfeel.

D: This is a tasty, easy to drink version of a Russian imperial stout. Well made, with lots of
character.

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

The pour was wonderful, rich dark black in color with a two inch head of tn that went absolutly no where. Rich, decadent, opaque, evil. Perfect.

The aroma was loaded with molasses and notes of vanilla and chocolate. Rich like a dessert with nice hints of coffee poking out as it warms and a touch of brown sugar almost that was creeping in. The taste was spectacular. Rich, smooth, creamy feel was perfectly carbonated and just heavy enough to let you know the style. The first sip was like heaven as a wave of sweet chocolate and vanilla washed over the tongue. Light touches of coffee and molasses show up mid palate just in time to set you up for a light pine bite that gave this one that nice little kick at the end it needed. Perfectly sippable with no alcohol in the flavor and nothing but the smoothest approach possible.

Overall, blown away. I thought it was good last time, but Jamie and David have outdone themselves. Easily my favorite local stout, this was just nearly perfect.

I have had this about 3 times in the last 2 weeks, so now I must review it.
This stout looks perfect for the style. Carbonation is med-low and the head is brown. The smell is of chocolate, caramel, and slight hops. The taste is wonderful. You can taste rich toasted malts and chocolate with a smooth finish. Actually, this beer is way too smooth and drinkable. I can down one after the other. I would say this stout is similar to dark lord, if you removed the licorice flavor from DL and aged it for a few years. I have tried DL, Kate, and sexual chocolate, but coast's Blackbeerd is my favorite. It is an impressive offering from a small brewery in N. Charleston. This beer could not be made by a better group of people either. I would recommend this to any stout fan. I hope the get a bottling line soon so it will be easier to get this brew out the door.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottled on 2-18-08. Pours a deep reddish/brown that looks entirely black in the glass. A rather small one finger tan head crowns the beer. Smells of alcohol and dark fruits dominate with some roasted malt notes coming through. Surprisingly there is not much coffee or chocolate in the nose. First sip is smooth and mellow with coffee and chocolate now mixing equally with the dark roasted malts and the fruits that are mostly raisin and plum.

As it warms, the true nature of Blackbeerd shows its beautiful face. I find myself anticipating the strong finishing coffee/dark chocolate bitterness swig after swig. The finishing bitterness of Blackbeerd is what makes this Imperial Stout stand out in an ocean that maybe crowded in this style.

Medium carbonation and a somewhat light body, along with a great taste makes me want to session this beer. The high ABV reminds me that I do not have to drink this fast. I have nothing else to do tonight other than drink this lovely beer and call my sister.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to Kegatron for the share.

Pours a light black with 1 finger of foamy burnt tan head, good retention and nice lacing waves. Smells of dark fruits, smoke, coffee, chocolate, and burnt toast. Tastes of dark fruits up front along with some smoke, chocolate, rum, caramel, pineapple, and a touch of alcohol. Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation. Smooth, powdery, bitter, and smokey with some good sweetness. A well made RIS that they'll hopefully continue to brew and expand.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks to rnorgart for hooking me up with a bottle of this pretty rare bottled brew in a trade.

Pours a very dark brown/lighter black with a 1 1/2 fingers of creamy mocha colored tan head. Solid 1/2 finger of retention that flares up nicely, leaving a huge cascade of lacing down the sides of the snifter that sticks to the sides with a massive latticework. The aroma reminds me of gunpowder, with some pretty stand out notes of smoked and roasted malts that float in and out of thick accents of chocolate sweetness and dark fruits, and some light coffee. There is also a tingle of floral hops in the back, as well as just a faint bit of heat that tickles the nose.

The taste starts out with a big ole' sweet base of chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit tang that gives way to a charred smokiness and a combo of roasted malt, coffee, and some hop bitterness that livens things up towards the finish. Finishes with a dry, bitter, tangy, feel that hangs on the palette for a bit. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a moderately creamy carbonation and a slick feel. The overall feel seems just a touch light at times but carries those big flavors pretty well. Alcohol is there but was pretty well hidden even as it warms and even compliments a lot of that dark fruit stickiness that comes out.

I remembered reading in a thread on here that David from COAST suggested not sitting on these bottles for very long because this was their first attempt at bottling their product. Well I'm happy to report that not only have they held up well but that this is another very solid Imperial Stout coming out of the South. With big sweet character, balancing bitterness, and some added smokey character, this reminded me a lot of another great Southern Imperial Stout from Foothills called Sexual Chocolate. Very nice and I'm definitely going to keep a look out for more when they decide to bottle this again.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

I am reviewing this off notes I found, when I had it after it's first release. Had it on tap at Charleston Beer Works.

Solid black color, motor oilesque, with a nice tan head to it. The smell was of dark chocolate, coffee, and a slight hint of hops. Taste was exceptional. If it makes sense, it was a solid taste of smokey chocolates, with a touch of hops, but it wasn't too filling. Almost a lightness about it. The alcohol, though high in this beer, was almost hardly detectable. Good coating mouthfeel. With a review like this, would it be anything other than drinkable as hell? I would rate this as easily one of my top RISs. Looks like Blackbeard still owns chucktown after 100s of years. ARRR!

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. Bottled 2-18-08.

A - Pours dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin tan head and nice creamy lacing.

S - Bittersweet chocolate, rich caramel, brown sugar, toffee and a touch of coffee. On the sweet side.

T - Sweet caramel malt, somewhat earthy, maybe a touch of chocolate and licorice, slightly smoky in the finish.

M - Creamy, warming from the alcohol. Not as full as other Imp Stouts.

D - Missing the roastiness of normal imp stouts but still tasty. On the sweet side but the flavors blend nicely.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Many thanks to Jamie at COAST Brewing Company for the bomber of this gem.

Pitch black in color with a rich-looking, almost mocha tinted head. Good head retention on this rather viscous brew. The first whiffs were heavy of coffee intertwined with some bittersweet chocolate covered stone fruits. Nice, earthy, soothing. Balanced on the palate with the malty overtones and the slight hop twinge. Super smooth. A very, very fine brew and one of COAST's finest to date. A real find.

Zum wohl!

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ncvbc hooked me up with this in a recent trade. thanks walter!

22oz bottle. bottled 02.18.08. sampled july 19/08.

pours dark brown with a bit of red showing through at the edges. not quite opaque. a big dense tan head forms, dropping slowly and leaving lots of spotty lace.

aroma is great. alcohol. roast. dark chocolate. bit of milk chocolate. coffee. biscuit. wheat bread. bit of grapefruit and light citrus. light caramel. bit of vanilla.

taste is very good. medium bitterness level. bit of grapefruit. light alcohol. dark chocolate. bit of milk chocolate. espresso. biscuit. wheat bread. toasty with light roast. nice caramel sweetness.

mouthfeel is great. low carbonation level. medium-large body.

drinkability is good. nice balance. an interesting and unique stout.

4.17/5  rDev +4%

Thanks once again to grub for sharing out this rare bottle!

Pours a lightly hazed dark brown, red highlights, a little light in colour for a RIS, thick tan head forms, drops to a thick layer and ring, good staying power and some solid lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet and fruity, toffee, molasses, light chocolate and roast, dates/raisins, brown sugar, some alcohol, not bad. Taste is brown sugar and caramel, bananas, dates, chocolate coated raisins, dark fruits, hint of vanilla, pretty solid. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, some alcohol warmth but pretty smooth. This is good stuff but it feels like a bit of punch is missing from it. Thanks Russ!

A first - and striking - impression is just how awfully light this is for an RIS. A nice head and a colour that is passable for, but not completely, black. It is almost rather a deep brown and exposed by ruby chestnut highlighting. You can go ahead and cross out the usual adjectives of 'viscous', 'oily' and 'thick'. The colours are dark enough to prevent clarity, but still this appearance definitely will draw the ferociousness of this stout into question.

The aroma offers up a long list of pleasant and welcome smells: dark licorice, brewers anise, oats, and light coffee. It is missing two things however: chocolate and roast. I like it but I'm not wowed by it. Unfortunately for Coast Brewing I usually hold the smell of my RIS to a standard of how much it wows me, not simply how pleasant I find it. A great RIS will 'wow' you.

The taste is really neat and provides a few layers of flavour. The first adds a little spice. It is hops, and good supply of them. The taste rings out, not as leafy, but as the actual green leafs themselves. It almost becomes tea like at times. The second is a brilliant profile that pits chocolate and roast along side big, juicy dark berries. Currants, blueberries, and lots and lots of blackberry taste.

What might be a big gooey chocolaty mouthfeel is choked out by either the alcohol or hop bitterness. I can't be positive which, but something has become very obnoxious with warming. The 9.3% is subtle, but not as well integrated into the beer as with other Imperial Stouts.

I know those in South Carolina are over-joyed and excited that the silly alcohol cap law has finally been lifted off their breweries. I think it's something brewers are equally ecstatic about; Coast Brewing's decision to brew the Blackbeerd is evidence of that.

I think, however, they are still in the process of learning the craft of new styles and in particular, the high-gravity arts. This did not 'wow' me, regardless of its many strong points, and neither did their hefty IPA. I think the raving reviews their beers have gotten are more a reflection of a proud and delighted native populace who are deliriously happy their thirst for bigger, better beers is finally being quenched by someone local. Good on them for the support.

I don't wish to put the beer nor its brewers down - I enjoyed it, how could you not? In fact, I'd really love to see a larger batch of this in the future. I'd certainly try to obtain a bottle, maybe even a second, for sharing, to return the favour to my good friend Grub!

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Damn, this one seems to have some mixed reviews to say the least. Here's my take:

Pours basically black but has some brown highlights, not as pitch dark as your usual RIS. Great tan head with very good retention for the style, just not as potent looking as many I've come across.

Smell is great. Big chocolate and a touch of caramel. Huge roasted coffee scents but they are well balanced with a sugary sweetness that reminds me of a latte or something. A lingering licorice, molasses scent in the background.

Taste is also great. Deep and dark. Very rich and unique. Again, the sweetness hits up front. Tasty chocolate, not much for the caramel here. It's just very clean tasting and rich (organic!). A shot of licorice espresso is thrown in and retains some sweetness with it. Clean, green, earthy hops show up in excellent fashion as well.

Mouthfeel isn't as full as you'd excpect. It's rich, creamy, and like velvet on the tongue but just doesn't have the body of some of the big boys.

To me, the drinkability is off the charts. It won't amaze you like some overall but in this category it does for me. One of those that I wouldn't stop with just a bomber as is the case with most Imperial Stouts. I can't get enough.

It drinks and appears to be a Stout while to me it still has the complexity and flavors of an Imperial. Great stuff. I'm glad I had the chance to try this for sure.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

22oz bottle, <i>bottled 2.18.08</i>. Pours black with plenty of ruby highlights and a small beige head, low retention.

A-Some roast--not too much though--starts out the aroma with some cola notes, toasted grain, and a bit of dry dog food.

T-Had a fair amount of earth up front, roasted malts and cola again, and some brown sugar. Dry finish with the bitterness peaking around a 3-4 (out of 10). Alcohol is masked well.

M-Lightly carbonated with a medium body.

Not really that great of a beer. Thanks to <i>kersta8</i> for sharing.

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to cokebottle. Thanks for the pour man! Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma had chocolate, toffee, and a hint of caramel. The flavor was very similar. Again, chocolate, coffee, toffee, a slight hop bitterness and some brown sugar. It had a slight pickle flavor that I get with a lot of strong wheat beers. Finishes really smooth, not much hint of the abv%. A little thin for the style, nothing really stands out to me. Very drinkable though.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Black with a beige head that retains well. Smell of molasses, caramel, coffee, alcohol, and lactose. Taste of sweet milk chocolate, molasses, licorice, and coffee; very good. Medium body and carbonation. A good beer to drink and quite drinkable, but its limited availability limits you drinking more than one. I'd drink again if they make more. Thank you to kersta8!

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to stopbarking.
Pitch black. Opaque in color with a solid 3 finger tan head that recedes and holds for awhile at 1/2". Lace sticks to the glass as it empties into Davy Jones Locker.
Wonderful aroma of fresh pipe tobacco and a burning brush pile.
Flavorwise this Impy Stout has it all. Smoked grains, fruit(I taste blackberries, cherries, and cantalope) I know cantalope is unusual for the style and beer in general. But I swear I taste cantelope. Mild hints of French Roast coffee with touches of dark chocolate and molasses. All of these flavors mix and are balanced perfectly. This beer can hold it's own with the best Imperial Stouts in the world.
Mouthfeel is a bit light bodied for the style. But I think this was done on purpose by the brewers as this beer drinks like a stout....not so much an imperial stout. To me that's a good thing as my 22 oz has been consumed and my head's spinning.
My only disappointment with this beer is that I don't have any more. If I had another bomber I'd crack it open right now.

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Many thanks to kkipple for this bottle, hand bottled at the brewery a week or so ago.

Pours almost pitch black with a single finger of very tight, light tan head that settles to a ring and single layer, and lasts forever. Leaves no lacing. When held to the light, it's brown around the edges but still very dark.
The nose is wonderful. Rich dark malt and roasted grain notes, dark fruits, burnt wood, some faint hop-bittering, with a good bit of alcohol. Let this one warm before trying to sniff it, though.
Initially sweet like molasses, then with acrid grain and cocoa coming in. The burnt grain and alcohol round out the flavor, leaving behind a dark-chocolate like aftertaste. The colder it is, the more it tastes like burnt grain, while as it warms it balances better, and even becomes a little sweet.
Mouthfeel is velvety-smooth and coats the mouth. Carbonation is medium-low, and alcohol is warming in the finish. If I hadn't already had Dark Lord, this would get a five. It's excellent.
Drinkability is as high as one could expect in this style. I highly recommend that you try this beer if at all possible. I'm happy to have them here in SC and can't wait for more of their stuff. This brewery is going to be a heavyweight in craft beer in a few years. Cheers!

I have tasted this beer on tap, bottled and from a growler.

An all time favorite. Absolutely stunning appearance of deep dark intrigue with perfect head retention.

Aromas of roasted coffee beans, vanilla and woody notes. Taste has all this plus dark dried fruit and a nice hop backbone to balance.

Wonderful mouthfeel, luxurious. Too easy to drink despite its big body and bold abv.

Please brew more.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Served on draft at Charleston Beer Works. Comes to the bar a pitch black color with a rather dark mocha colored head. Fairly viscous and thick and syrupy. Nice head retention.

Aromas were wonderful. Coffee up front with some bitter chocolate and fruitiness; raisins, figs and black cherries.

Very well balanced. Good uniformity with the hops, which were mildly west coast, seemed more English. Nice maltiness to assist the hop bitterness and flavor to make this a smooth drinker.

I had one pint of this and was pretty much hooked. A great job from these guys. Pretty full on the tongue and chewy. I hope this one stays around for a while as I will certainly seek this out again.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer came with no head retention, nice dark-brown black color. I picked up on malts, chocolates, hops on the aroma. I didn't realize when it was served that it is brewed as an RIS, it definatley had the body and flavor profile of an American Porter. The bartender and I agreed this brew tastes exactly like a cross between Sierra Nevada porter and Highland's Oatmeal porter. This was an excellent beer, but I think it should be marketed as an american porter rather than an RIS. Im going to score this one by porter standards because it really is quite good, just not a RIS.

4.65/5  rDev +16%

This is a new release from Coast Brewing, It replaced Coast Rye which was a solid beer.

A. Black. Should an imperial stout be different? Get a thesauraus, throw out at me synonyms for black. This is the epitome for a dark stout. Black and low carbonation. Black, hear that black....move on.

S. Chocolate, coffee and beer, This is a stout. Good, solid and and thick. Good? Yes!!!

T, Same as the bouquet. A solid RIS and available locally. Hell yeah!!!!

M. Can you drink stouts all day? Yes? Than you are luckier than me. A SOLID STOUT. COLD? hell yeah!!!!

D. Let it cool down to serving temp , then hell yeah!!!! This is an epitome of what a stout should be...

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last