Boy King Double IPA | COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States
coastbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A highly hopped, yet still balanced, double IPA. Multiple hop varieties, emphasizing Citra Hops, were used. We're lovin' the tropical goodness of this hop variety!

Added by mikesgroove on 04-14-2009

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into Southampton Publick House pint glass. Bottled 8/27/13, so about 4 wks old. Acquired thru trade. Thanks beerbyrd!

A - Hazy burnt orange. Eggshell head leaves minimal lacing.

S - Peach, orange, a little catpiss. Doesn't overwhelm in the aroma department.

T - Peach and orange flavors really come thru with the right amount of alcohol notes to compliment them and not be harsh. Big bitterness in the aftertaste, as well as a malty backbone.

M - Medium with a nice creaminess. Carbonation is on the low side of medium.

O - A gave this a low rating when I had it last year. I didn't write down any notes and I can't remember why. It is a good beer. Wished it had a bigger nose and all the flavor and alcohol notes could've blended nicer, but still a solid drink and would have it again.

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

While I'm not a huge fan of hoppier beers, this one is the exception for me. I saw that they used Citra hops, which are tropical in taste and smell, rather than citrusy. I was impressed with the nice head, around 2 fingers thick, as well as the retention time it had. It did eventually die out to a thick lacing, but that was long after the pour. Smell was of hops up front, but not the rich smell that is normally associated with DIPAs, then the tropical, almost starburst-like tropical smell was the finisher. The taste was very similar to the smell, but the finish was like a tropical fruit rush, that you could pick out different fruits, each time you tasted it. Had a nice coating feel to the mouthfeel and didn't leave a bitter taste. Like I said in the beginning, I'm not really a fan of hoppier beers, but this one is a gem. Get your hands on it if you can.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

Has been on my wants list for a while now. 22oz? Piggly Wiggly growler.

No pop when I opened it, but an aggressive pour did allow for a nice 2 finger head. Slightly straw colored head of tiny bubbles. Body is unfiltered and a dirty orange color. Aroma is quite good and very fresh. I want to say cascade hops (but I don't know my hops, so this may be way off). More green than fruity. Flavor is a little bitter and simple. Pine, orange rind, and some alcohol. Just slight sweetness. Mouthfeel is pleasant with good body and a little bitter puckering. Not too oily or dry either way.

Overall a very good beer. I wouldn't say it is the best I have had and I think there are many more accessible to me that are at least equal in quality. Glad I was able to try it. A well balanced double IPA but just a bit too much sharp bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%