Event Horizon Cascadian Dark Ale | COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States
coastbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Beer brewed like a stout but with the flavors of an IPA.

Added by mikesgroove on 08-27-2010

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 8/9/12

Bottled on: 07 18 12

Many thanks to PDXHops

Dark, inky brown; somehow it manages to stay away from look black in the glass. Even though no light gets through, this is just a really dark brown a sandy, light brown scourge of bubbles hits the two and a half finger mark before slowly deflating. Good retention and webs of dry, crackly lace. Lace is thicker on the second pour.

While in the bottle Event Horizon smells of green, sticky pine. Once in the glass, the hops are just as green, though the outright pine note isn't so loud. Regardless, it's plenty hoppy and with a good deal of dark roast to balance it out - cocoa dust, hints of coffee and some dark bread. Overtones of nuts and earth. Some zesty citric tones emerge as it warms.

The flavor skews the balance meter back toward the hops; though not as green as the aromas, there is more piney bite and snarl. Bitterness is on the high side of moderate but remains pleasant. The dark roast is in a supportive and steadfast role adding some burnt notions and roasted coffee bitterness. Wow, I'm more impressed with each drink I take.

The feel is medium-full and inky and, but for a moment, I consider stretching it to nearly silky. This notion doesn't last long as vigorous carbonation rattles the upper tier of the mouthfeel and dry grittiness unseats the lower. This trio of distinct feels may seem at odds, but I find they work incredibly well. The finish even manages a coating feel that is actually enjoyable as far as coating feels go. By the time I'm to the second glass, the feel has settled into perfection.

Even Horizon is nearly perfect. The flavor and feel pull together fantastically. Overall drinkability is ridiculously high. This is exactly what I think about when I think about Cascadian Dark Ales. COAST continues to impress me time and time again. I can't recommend this enough. Thanks, Jeff!

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Served from growler into a Mikkeller oversize wine glass. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger khaki colored head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, citrus, citrus hop, and orange peel. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, citrus, citrus hop, dark chocolate, orange rine, and subtle nuttiness. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I was really quite impressed with this one if I am honest. I’m usually not a fan of this style, but this one had a nice balance of roastiness and citrus to carry it into a class all its own in this style. It really felt more like an IPA than a Black Ale, but I was perfectly okay with this fact. Definitely a must try for anyone out there who has not and worth trying again if you already have.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours an opaque black with a nice tan head and outstanding lace down glass.

HOPS....Chinooks? Cascade? definatly of the C veriaty. Piney citrus laced goodness that stands up to a nice roasty grain bill. Even better than the last brew of this, more roasty.

Grapefruit coffee roastiness that seems to play well together. The roasty goodness does not seem charred but right on with a good coffee, playing well with the hops.

Medium full creamy mouth that rolls down the tongue leaving a wanting for more.

COAST does an outstanding job again.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Growler from GBX

A: Pours a pitch black color with a massive khaki colored head. Retention is excellent throughout the glass.

S: Caramel, roasty/toasty malts, big fresh piney hops, citrusy hops, coffee, resin. I would say that the nose on this is comparable to Stone's 15th; very fresh

T: Coffee, roasty/toasty malts (maybe even a little char), beautifully balanced by hops. This is one of the most complex examples of this style that I have tried. Cascade and Citra hops are clearly identifiable along with bittersweet chocolate.

MF/O: Big big body, slightly chalky feel to it, smooth carbonation, alcohol is not present. A real easy drinker

Notes: For all of you that wished Stone's 15th wasn't as boozy, this is it. Also more complex. Nicely done COAST...I am now convinced that you cannot make a beer that I won't like

3.47/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to MikeInCharleston for this bottle!

Aroma:A little char notes in the aroma, a little malty sweetness, not too much hoppyness.

Appearance:Dark, nearly opaque. Good cappuccino colored head.

Taste:It's a very mild cascadian dark ale. The hops, while there, are subdued. There is a huge chocolate and roasty backbone. On the foretaste is a good amount of bitterness without a ton of hop flavor. It tastes more to me like a hoppy stout than a cascadian dark,.

Mouthfeel:The body is medium to thick. Nice carbonation.

Overall:This beer reminds me a lot of surly mild. It's a delicious beer, although I'm not sure I'd label it a cascadian dark.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Note: Served from a growler. Reviewing again since this is a diff. recipe and BA won't allow me to review it twice under same serving type.

Drank this last year and absolutely fell in love. I read that Coast was tweaking it a bit to lean more to roasty side so I was eager to try. Picked up a growler from CBX on a Sat. afternoon.

A- From memory it appears darker than last year. Black with a thick brown head. Looks like a stout.

S- Very fragrant juicy hops. Mouth immediately starts to water after smelling this.

T- First sip and the roasted malt is def. more prevelant than in the past. Last year this tasted like an IPA but this almost tastes like a op heavy porter. There is still a TON of stuff I have not tried, but I can honestly say I've never had a beer quite like this. So much going on with this one. The hops mixed with the roasted barley are both huge in taste but balanced well.

M- Thick with good carbonation.

O- At first I was kind of bummed because I was expecting a hop bomb a la Boy King, but the more I drank this the more I liked it until I eventually loved it. Overall a great beer. I'll be sure to pick up another growler before it runs out.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%

2011 Weighs in @ 7% by the way..

A - Pours a near black super dark brown into my brooklyn snifter. A nice 1+ finger of head that very slowly dissipates, excellent lacing. This beer looks exceptional

S - Lots of roasty coffee type notes, oak, caramel, molasses, pretty solid cascade presence as well. Very malty and robust but the hops shine as well. I'm really excited to dive into this one. Like, I'm getting really excited.. but I'm going to let it warm up a wee bit and push myself to the brink of insanity.

T - Ok, I lied, I lasted maybe all of 2 minutes... 41F at the moment. Ok so the hops blast me in the face initially, they arent overwhelming (no such thing) but they do overpower the malty qualities of the brew initially. The bitterness quickly fades to a roasty malty bitterness to a smoother suggary caramel/molasses type flavor. Just when you think its over. POW! A niiice hop bitterness dances on my pallet.

M - This is so deliciously drinkable that I need to restrain myself and allow plenty of time for the piney/hoppy aftertaste to be enjoyed. Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, light for the color

O - Better than expected, and I have lofty expectations and bounds of respect for COAST brews! Awesome

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

This review is for the 2011 Version. According to COAST 2011 has a darker, roastier side to it. I didn't try any of the 2010 beer so I can't compare to it, but I've got the 2011 reviewed.

Coast Event Horizon 2011

A: Pours a very dark licorice color of black with a half finger of head on top. Head appears to be lively with many bubbles on top, but I cannot pick up on carbonation because this beer is so dark. Holding it up to the light you can see that its a carmel color around the edges but that is it. Its as almost if light goes away and you can't tell what this is.... perhaps if there was a term to describe this... oh... well thats event horizon!

S: A very malty hoppy smell to it. This definately has the smell of an IPA to it. This has a coffee / toffee kind of smell to it behind that, and nearly a licorice type smell, and that is in a good way.

T: Very bitter and hoppy up front. The desciption of a black IPA seems to be fitting for this brew. It has a near espresso type taste to it. Not enough to call it a coffee type brew, but it is there and I'm reminded of that kind of taste while drinking it. The bitterness stays throughout the drink and has a strong aftertaste. If you are looking for hops this is a good thing, if you are not... well its not.

M: Medium to Heavy Mouthfeel, more on the medium side. Not a whole lot of carbonation, but the bitterness is strong.

O: Well, I got a growler of this, so I obviously like it. I'm newer into the IPA scene, so i'm still suprised that I like this type of thing. Its got a mixture of different things going on. It is similar to an IPA, but has the coffee notes so its rather complex. Its enjoyable to drink, glad I went by and sampled this.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Gurgles out of the growler a clear, dark reddish-brown body with a creamyish layering of lightly beige foam.

Smell: All the notes associated with crisp brown malts: toast, cocoa, brown sugar, relatively dark caramel. Also, fragrant hop tones of pine sap-soaked wood chips, cauterized lemons, and pithy grapefruit.

Taste: Upfront pale malts, dark caramel, and toasted barley grains with subtler, though still sufficient hints of chocolate powder and brown sugar. Grows earthy, woody, and resinous. Then, things take a turn towards citrus fruits and a bit of stinging nettles. Medium-high bitterness. Light lingering bitterness remaining on the dry, earthy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Many of these things, whatever the hell you want to call them, tend to favor the route of a stout-like malt profile. Event Horizon seems more akin, maltwise, to a hearty, robust brown, which I'm diggin'. All in all, an enjoyable endeavor. Thanks for sharing that growler, kp!

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the growler into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Growler from Piney Grove Green's

A - hazy brown at the bottom turns almost black at the top. Big tan head rests on top

S - Holy moly this is one hoppy beer. Big juicy citrus aromas with a hint of pine and tropical notes. A hint of sweetness but that gets pummeled by another wave of hoppy aroma.

T - Follows the aroma with a nice citrus hop taste. A bit of piney bitterness at the end. I dunno I'm not picking up on much roasted malt or chocolatey malt flavor. Taste more like a really hoppy IPA.

M - medium bodied, kinda smooth, a fair amoun of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. Not the best CDA around though. I really like it when I can pick up more roasted notes. Still a solid beer and certainly enjoyable.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

my brother-in-law brought a growler of this beauty home from The Lodge in HH, SC.

pours ebony in color in the glass with a nice, frothy mocha head. lots of lacing throughout.

very interesting smell dominates. fruity notes that are strong with lemons. hoppy and grass notes follow with a sweet malty backbone that brings great balance.

one of the few times I can say the nose continues to add to the enjoyment while you drink it. hops all the way on the palate. very citrusy... starts with grapefruit and pine finishes. the more I drink, the more bitter the bite on the back of the throat.

medium body with light carbonation. very smooth and balanced feel. nice.

don't believe I have had a more complex beer that only runs 6.8% abv. bitter hops all the way and a real treat. the growler disappeared with a quickness.

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%

A growler shipped to me by beernerd81 for a recent tasting. Black IPAs are all the rage these days. This is COAST's attempt, and a decent on at that.

I'm generally conflicted how to review these things. Its brown and mildly hazy but mostly clear, thin head of small bubbles, off white that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation held up nicely.

Aroma is WHOA hops. Yep, if I were blind folded I would have pegged this to be a cascade bomb of an IPA. Smells quite awesome. I'm pretty sure they used debittered malts in this beer at this point, since its dark but there is no evidence of roast in the nose. Debittered malts are a little like food coloring, still interesting though.

Its medium to light in body, good bitterness on the back end, still not much roast, at least I couldn't detect it. It was good, nice hop character, malt backbone minimal. Its was drinkable and nice, again, if I wasn't looking at it, say I was blind, I would say it was an IPA.

Philosophically, what is the point of darkening a beer? I guess the appearance of a beer is like its handshake, your first impression but if the darkening doesn't bring anything to the table like flavor or complexity, what was the purpose. Its a good beer though, I hope ti gets its IBA / Cascadian props.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Growler shared by drabmuh, a.k.a. The Growler King. Thanks Matt!

A: Dark brown with a crafted white colored head. The head possesses impressive retention and leaves a thick coat of lacing in its wake.

S: A healthy dose of hops. Aromas of citrus, grapefruit, and pine.

T: The taste is fine,but not as delectable as the aroma would indicate. Hops are very present throughout. This is an interesting style, and of the Black IPAs I have had, this is certainly among the best. I don't detect any of the "black" aspect of this beer. I was hoping for something that distinguish this from a traditional IPA. Perhaps a bit of roast, chocolate, or caramel for example? Maybe it's my preconceived notions that led this beer to fall slightly short of my expectations. Overall, I found it to be very enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied, with a pleasant bitterness, especially in the finish.

D: A good beer that I would definitely drink again.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

From 09/25/10 notes. Shared by Matt (drabmuh) at a small tasting.

a - Pours a dark brown, almost black, color with two inches of off white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, pine hops, and smooth light fruit. Crazy amount of hops, smells awesome.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine, grapefruit, smooth fruity malts. Not a lot of bitterness to the taste.

m - Smooth, medium body and low carbonation, easy to drink .

d - This is definitely a very good black IPA. I thought it smelled amazing; the smell is a crazy amount of hops. Would definitely like to try this one again.

Event Horizon Cascadian Dark Ale from COAST Brewing Company