Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

KiloHop | SanTan Brewing Co.

4.04/5

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by EyePeeAyBryan on 08-11-2014

Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

In the Glass: Before I talk about this beer, Allen from the Craft Beer Hop Stop commented on this beer saying, "KiloHop is a little boozy." Just smelling this, as I was taking it to my desk, I am picking up what he is putting down. Anyway, I digress. The beer is darker than I expected and has a nice thin white head. I just finished another IPA that I bought for a badge... Excited for this Imperial IPA to close out the night. Cheers!

Nose:It smells sweet and chewy. I know, that is hard to explain... But it has a great nose. I bet this will really open up as it warms up. Most beers do! I am sick of starring at it. Let's drink.

Flavor: Not as much flavor as I wanted... I kept thinking there would be an explosion of hops, but it isn't there. For a beer that is nearly 100 IBU, I expected... I wanted more hops. But this reminds me a lot of the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. That beer is not hoppy at all. Well, it is. But doesn't taste hoppy. I must disagree with Allen, though. Not boozy at all. Very well balanced and the hops really come in after I swallow.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick and coats your palate with a nice hoppy flavor that really changes as it warms. The mouthfeel on this is the last thing I am worried about.

Aftertaste: This is where the flavor really comes out. As my palate warms, the hops really start to shine, and I am enjoying the complexity of the ingredients used to brew this beer. Not sure why they would limit a beer like this. Just part of the journey, I guess. If you like a well balanced DIPA, then get a can of this. Cheers!

3.84/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Malty DIPA with a major blend of hops. Tons of small flavors stand out with nothing dominating the scene: tropical fruits, mango, pine, grass, dry herbs, apricot and then a sweetness from the malt bordering on barley wine territory. Could be this 16oz can is almost 3 months old that is driving the malt but it is a pleasant sweetness. At 9.9% this is a massive DIPA and just the kind I like. Big, juicy, sweet, malty. Love it.

4.12/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler fill on 9/21/15, so it's not discontinued. Maybe it's seasonal?

This is pretty good beer, pouring clear and straw color, with decent head after 2 days in the growler. The beer has minimal hop aroma. However, the taste is fantastic. It is hoppy and smooth, and better than I expected. Mouth feel is good, with a little bite that does not overwhelm the palate.

Overall, it's great. I would gladly buy again if available.

3.74/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 16 oz can at TW Arrowhead in mid-August for $4.99. No freshness date.

Beer poured orange with an OK white head on the initial pour.

Nose has hints of tropical fruits.

Taste initially was strong of mango and passion fruits and was quickly overtaken by the huge malt base making for a balanced malt dominated brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly smooth.

Overall not a bad brew that I would likely would not buy in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.79/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

KiloHop from SanTan Brewing Co.