Oscuro | SanTan Brewing Co.

3.81/5

SanTan Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
santanbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by tayner on 01-05-2008

Reviews by leftmindedrighty:
3.65/5  rDev 0%

64oz Growler received as a gift from BA tayner. Shared with BA's johnbrew and Aprilluvsbeer. Thanks again Dana!

Nice Psst when I opened the growler.

Looks kind of thin for a stout, resembles more of a darker Brown Ale

Smell, pretty roasty and nutty. Some sweetness with no identifiable bitterness present

Taste, Pretty much follows suit. Big roasty flavors, but with a subtle bitterness to balance it out. Light notes of toffee and raisin finish out the brew, but it leaves a nice coating on the tongue. Not overly sweet as the nose indicated, more roasty with a mild hop kick.

Overall, a pretty thin Stout, but one I'm sure is appropriate to the Arizona heat. But, the thin body (for a stout) makes this one a great session beer. If you like stouts, and thats all you feel like drinking for a session, this is the perfect beer. If this was on tap at my local watering hole, it would be one of my favorites. Good balanced flavor with an easy drinking body.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

I had this again on tap today, just decided to finally rate it on here.

It came to me with a 1 inch head in their sexy 18 ounce pint glass. it is very dark brown with mahogany edges.

It smells of roasted malt, very slight hop nose.

It has a good malt profile with hints of chocolate and coffee, but nothing that really stands out heavy... just an easy drinking beer.

The mouthfeel is more, to me, like a porter or brown ale than a stout. It is thinner than i want my stouts, but if you had told me it was obscura porter i would have said mouthfeel was spot on.

I am not sure what the abv is (forgot to ask), but i could certainly session this easily, although after a couple i feel the effects, so it might just sneak up on you. I certainly wont hesitate to drink this every time i am there.

Oscuro from SanTan Brewing Co.