Sunspot Gold | SanTan Brewing Co.

Sunspot GoldSunspot Gold
3.27/5
Sunspot GoldSunspot Gold

SanTan Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
santanbrewing.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Sunspot Golden Ale is an American take on a traditional Czech Pilsner that distinguishes itself by being infinitely drinkable. Brewed with fresh Czech Saaz hops and American Pale Barley, Sunspot Gold has a deep, rich golden color and delicate hop character. Americans have a habit of taking products and improving them. We believe this is especially true with our Sunspot Gold.

Added by PhxHorn on 01-24-2008

3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

2.59/5  rDev -20.8%

A bright gold in color, not much head at all. Not a whole lot of smell, either, but a trace of citrus maybe, but it seemed like there was a soapy flavor, too. Taste was disappointing, the main reason being that I'd ordered the IPA and couldn't believe that's what this was. I was right--they'd served me the wrong beer. At any rate, I suffered through 16 ounces of this. Moderate carbonation with a bitter aftertaste. Even within the style, it didn't do much for me.

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%

A lemon/golden with a finger of white head that leaves a mild lacing. Smells grainy, grassy, and bready. Taste was a little off, with the grains. Can't put my finger on it, but, slightly musty. Feel is, medium thin body, average carbonation, and not all that dry.

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Sorta like a flat, more flavorful, more potent Miller Lite. Very drinkable, but not memorable. I would certainly drink again on a hot day, but wouldn't seek it out.

3.17/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Sunspot Gold is "an American take on a traditional Czech Pilsner," according to the SanTan Brewery website. At first glance, it had very little head in the glass and held almost no distinct smell. It was bright gold in color with barely any carbonation. After a few tentative sips and swishes through my mouth, I came to a few conclusions on the taste: That it was very light in flavor and had a little bit of a citrusy sweetness to it with a subtle bitterness that hung around afterward. While it was lacking in flavor, it was quite smooth, and I found that it caressed the roof of my mouth rather than my tongue, which I can honestly say I've never really thought about before while drinking anything.

I made sure to sample it before I ate my meal, so no worries about conflicting flavors there. When I did take sips of the Sunspot Gold between bites of my braised short ribs, I found that it managed to cleanse my palette in a way; wiping my taste buds clean of the heavy meat and starchy potatoes and leaving my mouth dry and ready for more. I'm not sure if this means that it complimented my meal or not, but it was refreshing to be able to still recognize the citrus in the beer after only two sips between bites.

It was really easy to drink with very little bitterness and no aftertaste.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sunspot Gold from SanTan Brewing Co.