Epicenter Amber | SanTan Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
Epicenter AmberEpicenter Amber

SanTan Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
santanbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

An American Amber Ale. Epicenter Amber received a Bronze Medal at Reno Canfest, and an 89 Rating in 2011 DRAFT Magazine. A deep copper amber hue with a firm, toasted malt character, lightly sweet with a crisp dry finish. Epicenter has become a gateway ale for novice Craft Beer drinkers. The light, approachable taste is quenching and appealing to new and long term Craft lovers alike.

Added by PhxHorn on 05-28-2010

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

love this beer. I just wish it was available in more places

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

4.4/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dined at Cork in Chandler last night and ordered this as we awaited our seating time. I've been home-brewing Ambers of late as I seem to enjoy this type of beer the most. I found Epicenter to be extremely enjoyable. It has lots of flavor and very little bite. It is one of the smoothest Ambers I have enjoyed that wasn't brewed by me.

The color was good. The taste was better. I ordered a second one to enjoy with dinner. My father-in-law did the same, as we both found our beer to be very pleasant and worthy of a second purchase.

Like many beer aficionados, I can't often describe a particular flavor or "velvety overtone" but I know a good beer when I taste one. This is one. I'll buy this again.

4.4/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured a clear amber body with a thin ring of white head. A quite nice looking amber ale. Scents of sweet, bready malt, lightly toasted malt, light caramel, fruity esters, a light hint of butter (diacetyl), and very low levels of floral hops. Overall impression of aroma is of a classic sweet, malty amber ale, with just a touch of hops and a little bit of diacetyl that aids the aroma in this instance. Flavor begins medium-sweet with notes of sweet, bready malt, caramel, toffee. light amounts of apple, nutty malt and light toasted malt. The middle continues flavors of caramel at a light level, with medium levels of nutty and toasted malt character and light toffee. Finish is medium-sweet with light notes of caramel and buttery toffee and moderate toasted and nutty malt flavors. Aftertaste is buttery toffee, toasted and nutty malt and very light caramel with a light bitterness from floral hops. A very light hop bitterness is present throughout. Overall impression of flavor is of a nicely malt forward profile with a slight undercurrent of bitterness, toasted and nutty malt keeping it from becoming cloying. It is nicely rich and pleasant, a very good example of an amber ale. Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with high carbonation and a smooth, creamy feel that finishes slightly drying. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very good, easily drinkable mouthfeel that is nicely refreshing. Overall this is a very good amber ale. It is malty, balanced, sessionable and refreshing. The aroma and flavor are quite nice and it has a pleasant feel. Very good.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

This one pours from the can a nice cherry-amber color and almost perfectly clear. The one-finger head of grayish tan bubbles is rather filmy and oily-looking, fizzling away slowly to a pocked top layer. Thin lines of horizontal lace are left in its wake.

Strong nuttiness in the nose. Almonds, caramel, a bit of peanut, crackers, some earthy hops. It's a very warm scent.

In the taste: caramel-coated peanuts, popcorn, almonds and biscuits. It's sweet mid-palate before a rather dry finish.

Medium light body with medium carbonation that's prickly and lightly painful. The beer fizzes up a bit as it moves about. Smooth and super crisp.

The teeter-totter of this beer's flavor leans a little toward the sweet side, and I like that about it. It's a lovely mix of nutty malt and earthy hops. Very crisp and easy-drinking.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Big ups and major props to my fellow CANquistador, indiapaleale, for sending me this and one other in support of my version of The CANQuest (TM)! I love where it hails from (Chandler, AZ) and I look forward to trying it out.

From the CAN: "Craft Beer For Beer Drinking".

It came in a RexAm CAN with a wide-mouth opening, which is always good for an interesting Crack & Glug. My nearly inverted pour resulted in some cascading action as well was two foamy fingers' worth of tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose was very sweet with caramel malt. Mouthfeel was medium with a caramel sweetness offset by a molasses flavor, which I found both interesting and enjoyable. I am usually not big on sweet, malty beers, but this managed to strike a nice balance. Finish was sweet but not cloying. I would not want a steady diet of it, but I also would not be averse to putting it in my cooler.

3.82/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Pours a bubbly, light-yellow head that fades quickly. No lace on the glass. A nice amber hue.

S - Sweet, toasted malt. Some alcohol. Bready.

T - Delicious malt with a very slight hop presence to balance it out. Alcohol is there, too. Toffee.

M - Clean, crisp. A bit cloying.

Solid Amber.

3.79/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap outside in 100+ AZ heat Served in a pint glass.
Amber color with small head, leaves no lacing in the glass. Not much to the smell on this one I get a little malt but not much else. Taste is of malts and caramel. Don't get any sense of hops. Mouthfeel provides decent carbonation and alcohol with some sweetness on the end.

Overall this is a refreshing beer that is relatively light for a hot day.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Epicenter Amber from SanTan Brewing Co.