Epicenter Amber | SanTan Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
Epicenter AmberEpicenter Amber

SanTan Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
santanbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

An American Amber Ale. Epicenter Amber received a Bronze Medal at Reno Canfest, and an 89 Rating in 2011 DRAFT Magazine. A deep copper amber hue with a firm, toasted malt character, lightly sweet with a crisp dry finish. Epicenter has become a gateway ale for novice Craft Beer drinkers. The light, approachable taste is quenching and appealing to new and long term Craft lovers alike.

Added by PhxHorn on 05-28-2010

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Brat Haus, Scottsdale, AZ (July 2014):

I had not originally picked this beer when I walked into the establishment, but my friend persuaded me to try it out, saying that it was a really good beer.

The beer produced a nice, clear red/amber color with a nice off-white head that was well retains. The beer gave off a nice light malty aroma, with an ever so light hop aroma. The taste of the beer was good, so much so that I had another. The beer had a lighter body, as expected, and it was smooth, refreshing and very easy to drink. Overall, the beer was good. One that I would defiantly try again if out in Arizona.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dined at Cork in Chandler last night and ordered this as we awaited our seating time. I've been home-brewing Ambers of late as I seem to enjoy this type of beer the most. I found Epicenter to be extremely enjoyable. It has lots of flavor and very little bite. It is one of the smoothest Ambers I have enjoyed that wasn't brewed by me.

The color was good. The taste was better. I ordered a second one to enjoy with dinner. My father-in-law did the same, as we both found our beer to be very pleasant and worthy of a second purchase.

Like many beer aficionados, I can't often describe a particular flavor or "velvety overtone" but I know a good beer when I taste one. This is one. I'll buy this again.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

2.64/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Ok. Had a can from total wine. Maybe I got an old can but I wasn't impressed. It's not a very drinkable amber. Pours clear and,well, Amber. Smells like beer and tastes ok. Hops seem bitter but not too flavorful. Mouthfeel is ok. Overall, not one of my favorite.

3.3/5  rDev -6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

poured from the can into a pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy amber with small pieces of yeast floating in it. A weak stream of small bubbles rises to the fizzy, one finger, white head.

S - Strong nose of toasty, caramel malts and light earthy hops upon opening the can.

T - Caramel malt and sweet toffy upfront. The body is fairly weak though definitely malt driven with hints of red apple hop notes. Smooth caramel as the beer goes over the back of the tongue transitions into a slightly stale caramel apple finish.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Not real lively, but ok.

As a seismologist, I had saved epicenter in my refrigerator for two years, before finally getting it out tonight to review it. Even though I really wanted to like it, I was unimpressed and am only considering picking it up again sometime to see if aging it had detrimental effects. This example was a little too sweet and flat for me.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Epicenter Amber from SanTan Brewing Co.