Hop'solutely | Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-11-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 177
3.16/5  rDev -16%

A: "That head is very creamy" remarked my friend when looking at this beer. Hazy yellow pour with nice lacing.

S: Big hop smell, with a sweetness in the background. Perhaps from malts. More citrusy than piney

T: Hops are muted, but that might be unfair as I'm unsure of the age of this one. Malts coming through on the backside in a big way. The taste is really sweet, citrus or other fruits.

MF: Light with a nice amount of carbonation. Hardly any hint of alcohol, which is impressive.

O: Pretty average. Nothing really stands out, but it isn't bad.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a golden color with a monster of a head. I've actually had this before, but only in the 750ml size. I liked it then so I bought a 4 pack when it came out. The second one tastes different from the first one in this 4 pack. Anyway, the smell is of citrus, maybe a little grapefruit. Not too powerful. The taste has some nice hop bitterness, some citrus and pine, but also an aftertaste that is not quite pleasant. I like the creamy thick mouthfeel, but the alcohol is very present, not surprising with an 11.5 abv. I like, but don't love, this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

pours a cloudy amber/orange color with offwhite head. big thick head and excellent lacing. smell is of fruity hops. hmmm...the taste is not at all like I expected. having some difficulty even explaining, but it is very hoppy but can't even pick up any citrus, pine, fruity or floral profile. Malt bill is very high. No bitterness. caramel coming through. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy.

I don't know what to make of this beer. The taste is not like anything I've had and the hop bill is very...generic is all I can call it. Perhaps it's an old bottle. Who knows, another brewery with no bottle dates.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at the brewery. A little disappointed that it wasn't on tap

A- pours amber with a one finger white head and nice lacing. About standard for a DIPA

S- getting a nice aroma of pineapples...reminds me a lot of Hopslam, though a little more muted

T- a tad bit of pine, and a solid taste of pineapple and a little tropical fruit as well. Tasty

M- very thick, close to the point of being syrupy. That's a huge turnoff for me

D- this one could be dangerous at 11.5%, because the alcohol is hidden extremely well. Would like to try it fresh on tap, though

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy golden/amber color with a bit or orange coming through. Just a layer of white head that disappears right away. I hope this one tastes better than it looks.

Smell: Sweet citrus hop bitterness with some grapefruit and pineapple. I also get a little bit of the grain and some alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet citrus hop bitterness. I pick up a lot of pineapple and some tangerine. Quite a bit of alcohol hits the tongue at the end of the sip. Did I mention this is sweet? I really think it would be better with the sweetness toned down a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very little delicate carbonation. At the end of the sip, this beer is a bit slick on the tongue.

Drinkability: You can tell there is a lot of alcohol in this beer. The hop profile is really nice, but there isn't enough to combat the sweetness and the booze. Not a bad beer, but I don't know that I'll look for it again.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Excited to see this offering in 12 oz bottles now!

Poured into a pint glass, fairly clear copper-amber body with 1 finger of creamy off-white head that settles to a thin cap and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma consists of lots of piney / earthy hops and sweet caramel malts. Big burst of hops upfront, but is balanced out by those aforementioned sweet malts. The heat comes through more and more as it warms too. Medium bodied with a below average carbonation level.

Slightly below the big boys in the category when fresh. Much like most DIPAs, this seems to fade fast! This review is from the last bottle in my 4 pk which I bought about 2 weeks ago - there is a very big difference just in those 2 weeks. I kinda wish I would have review the first sample, perhaps would have raised the taste / smell a 1/2 point...maybe ill revist this review in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%

Found a bottle of this back at my hometown that was a 12 oz. Pretty excited since I didn't want to drop $14 on a bomber

A: Nice amber color with great white fluffy head

S: Hops and malt dominate but very good pine hops coming out in the nose

T: Wow - I was expecting this to bring me to my knees in bitter but the balance is just perfect with a nice malt presence to balance out the hops.

M: Mild - easy to drink carbonation

D: COuld have had another although that would have been a night-ender at 11.5%

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

750 caged and corked bottle purchased at Capones in Norristown PA (also saw it at Oak Tree in South Plainfield NJ)

Appearance: Pours a murky caramel with orange / auburn folds. The crown is 1 finger, slightly off white (slightly hop stained) with moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: Caramel malt, mild pine note, grassy herbal notes, and a touch of bitter citrus.

Taste: Same as nose. Very balanced. Alcohol is fairly concealed but not totally.

Mouthfeel: A bit low in carbonation and muddy.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel and abv hold it back but still fairly good. There is no huge dose of hops or alcohol that hold back the drinkability. I polished the 11.5% abv 750ml bottle by myself rather easily.

A fairly balanced 11.5% abv "triple" ipa in my opinion.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

12oz tulip from BBW Steelgaarten. Note: On the menu this is a triple IPA.

A- Perfect DIPA copper color with a thin white head. Retentious lacing down the side of my glass.

S- Very balanced malt with big hop aroma!

T- Nice and bitter and balanced. I don't know what's with all the haters on BA... this is a very fine DIPA and a fine example!

M- Very nice astringency with adequate carbonation.

D- I would never guess 11.5.. more like 9 if I had to guess. This is fairly bitter especially toward the end of the glass.

This is a very good brew and being local I'm proud that this came out of Bethlehem, PA.

EDIT: Had it in a bottle and it was WAAY sweeter and not balanced. Maybe the bottle was still young... no date codes. Carbonation wasn't quite there and it was oily and slick.. unlike the draft from the Steelgaarten.

EDIT 2: I drank another bottle from the same 4 pack and it was much better... concludes that my last bottle was just too young.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Well reviewed under this one because it is the corked version. After reading a recent article from Joe Sixpack stating that this was as good if not better the PTY just not as hyped. I had to try it. Thanks to a colleague from my work for getting me this.

Poured into a tuliip.Pours a lighter amber color with golden highlight's. A little hazy after the intial pour but does seem to clear up.A decent heading for an 11.5% ABV.Nice bubbling action from the bottom of the glass to the top.

Smell is very balanced.Amarillo hops are the main aroma.Piney kind of grassy.A nice sweeter maltiness underneath the bigger hoppy notes.

Taste starts out with that same pine hop as in the nose. The middle is more of a quick hot alcohol flash.Quickly put away with the sweeter almost sugary maltier side.Hops are there but not overpowering just balanced.

Mouth is medium bodied, good carbonation for the heavier alcohol content as well as the drinkability.

All and all a fine beer. I don't know why all the hatred towards this brew just because it was compared to PTY. A solid beer and much more affordable and available then PTY. The only thing I would say is this is a bit more boozey and a little less of a hop aroma. That's about it.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 12/19/2009. Bottle purchased from the Allentown brewpub. Pours a hazy orange brown with a thick white head. Aroma of sweet caramel malt, raisins, oatmeal, light citrus, and some booze. Flavor is heavily malt-dominated with some sweet citrus and a touch of fruits including apricot and tropical fruits. More like a hoppy barleywine than a IIPA. Still, it's quite tasty and it really grew on me.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

I was surprised to find this recently at the Mohawk House, in Sparta, NJ. In a 4oz sampling glass, it poured a golden amber, mostly transparent with two fingers of white that retained and laced very well. Modest carbonation. Big herbal, grassy, dry citrus peel, and apple blend in the nose. The flavor was a nice blend of the same, just not as intense, with more malty apple hitting midpalate, after the bitter peel hits you hard at first. Finishes on a dry peel note. Alcohol content was very well hidden. The feel was a very smooth medium, with almost no carbonation. Very pleasantly surprised by this beer, as I hadn't heard too much about it. Tastes like a session beer, but this one's dangerous. My only beef with this beer is that while the flavor was a nice blend, the taste was nowhere near as intense as the nose.

3.06/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is pine, citrus and some bready malt. Not sure why, but the aroma is fairly sweet. The flavor is very sweet, with some syrupy citrus notes. I also get a little bit of pine. Low bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.17/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from its corked bottle into a mug.

As a funny aside before I start the review, I struggled for several minutes trying to uncork the bottle before finally meeting success.

Beer pours lighter than anticipate. It's almost the color of honey. Beer releases a thick, creamy head that slowly dissipates. The smell is subtler than expected as well. Lots of hops, mostly citrus... definitely the smell of abundant Northwest hops. It really smells great.

It's intensely bitter almost to an unpleasant degree and you can taste the alcohol on the edges of each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and bitter with almost an acidic tinge to it. It burns slightly on the way down.

As for drinkability, I drank the entire 23.4 ounce bottle, but won't be rushing out to pick this up again any time soon. Hop'solutely has some promise, but it needs to mellow out around the edges. If I do pick it up again, I'll probably cellar it in an effort to smooth the beer out.

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a Victory Pint Glass.

A- Cloudy, orange-amber color. Pours very thick like motor oil. Almost no head- 1/16th inch, but it lasted five minutes before morphing into a paper thin film of lace.

S- piney hops, with a sweet note- hints of dried fruit.

T- BIG flavor- hoppy twinge of bitterness up front, but also with an interesting blend of sweetness. Dried apricot notes, with pronounced alcohol in the finish. I think I'll age the other two bottles I have for a few years...

M- FULL body- thick and chewy, medium body but a bit on the flat side.

D- A 'Big' IPA, with lots of typical Triple IPA characters. But this feels like a brew that will soften nicely and score better with age.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: pours a hazy dark orange color with a 2" head that slowly falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: loads of grapefruit, lemon zest, and a bit of an earthy quality is pleasant on the nose,

Taste: big caramel profile with a bunch of grapefruits, lemom zest, a bit of pine, and a strong sharp bitterness. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with a bit of dryness at the finish. Aftertaste is long as the bitterness, citrus and alcohol lingers.

Drinkability: slow sipping beer. One bomber is more than enough in a single session.

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a pretty typical amber w/ some dark copper color along with a fingers-thick of white fairly dense head on top. Settles to a nice surface layer.

Fairly mild nose: Some crisp pine hops on the nose with a bit of grapefruit. Nothing major.

Sipping, it reveals a very sweet and sugary floral flavor that reminds me of honeysuckle sweetness. Some earthy flavors as well, but upon the swallow a very "hot" burning comes through from the alcohol. The aftertaste lets a grassy flavor stick around for a bit.

Prickly carbonation w/ a medium-to-full body, which was a bit more than expected. Alcohol is very apparent, and to me, enjoyable.

Overall, I have 25+ oz to drink, and I'm sure I'll enjoy drinking it. Makes a great sipper!

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25.4oz caged and corked bottle into a few tall glasses. Thanks to Dermopower for the hook up. My first from this brewery which is quite odd since I love locals.

A- This comes out looking bold with a mixture of orange and gold and even some bright copper if you look hard enough. A good amount off off white bubbles form a head but quickly die down, no lace.

S- Smells like a triple eye with that nail polish remover scent that I only get from triple IPA's, not a knock, it's just common for me. A slight sour grapefruit and other light citrus with a ton of sweet malt in the back.

T- While it smells like a triple, it tastes more like a double, less nail polish, more citrus with white grapefruit and small mango underneath a huge malt bill. Pile that on with a yeasty finish and you got yourself a triple IPA.

M- This is a medium bodied IPA with a smoothness and a nice amount of bitterness. It's not hugely mouth crushing but there is some heat on the end with the almost 12% in this here. The carb could stand to be knocked up, this almost felt dead by the end, to much alcohol I suppose.

D- Besides the alcohol and usual characteristics of the style, I enjoyed this but would only drink about 8 oz or so in a sitting. They should bottle this in 4 packs or something.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

A bottle split with friends thanks dermopower for the hook up.

A- a good finger or two of off white head atop a golden sunset yellow orange in color.

S- big huge hop nose with citrus and a mild pine. Sweet malts that bring to mind honey. A rather present booze hit with rubbing alcohol.

T- hop forward and bold. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel. Sweet malts with a touch caramel and honey. Some booze in the finish.

M- above medium in body and a tick lower in carb. A good bit of heat but hey it a big beer.

D- I really like this stuff very big hop profile and a nice malt backbone. A big boozy and hot but its a pleasant burn.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Poured out a clear, copper/amber color with a small, off-white head of foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of grapefruit and orange. There were some bubblegum notes, too. Not much in the way of caramel or malt.

T - Nice spicy hops upon first sip with those grapefruit and bubblegum flavors. There was sweet malt with some boozy alcohol presence, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with an alcohol warmth.

D - This is a pretty good imperial IPA. Good aroma and good taste.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Presentation: Poured for a growler purchsed last week at McGrath's in Harrisburg. This is actually listed as a 'Triple IPA' on the tap head.

A: Clear golden amber color. Thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves moderate lacing.

S: Mainly citrus hops with a sweet maltiness. Some pine in the background and orange.

T&M: Wow, this is like fluffy, hopped bourbon. The alcohol comes through strong. Definitely orange and pineapple flavors. The maltiness really subdues most of the hops which kind of kills the flavor for me. Thick medium to full-bodied with a semi-dry, oily finish.

This definitely has a distinctive taste. Good sipping beer due to the alcohol afterburn. It says 11.5%, but I think it may be way higher. At least the batch I got! I'm not sure how I'm gonna finish the growler on my own, but will surely try.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a light amber color with about one finger of foamy white head that dissipated into some pretty good lacing.

The nose was full of various fruits and good hop presence, also a more sugary scent.

The taste was of an abundance of sweet fruits; citrus, pineapple, maybe some pear?. There was a good bitter hop presence toward the end. The alcohol was noticeable but not that one would expect from almost 12%.

Medium bodied, smooth and sort of creamy, perfect carbonation.

Very tasty beer. This one snuck up on me a bit. After 1 I though I should have felt more of the alcohol, so of course I ordered another and ended up with a pretty good buzz on my lunch break making for an interesting afternoon.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Served with a pretty clear, honey colored body...there was a thin, one finger, white head sitting atop the beer...some lacing

S - Holy hops...that's all the nose is filled with...hops, hops, and more hops...strong and bitter

T - The strong hop presence is carried over into the flavors...the hops are all around...they are very fresh, hot, and bitter...the flavors come across as citrus with grapefruit and lots of pineapple actually...there's a huge sweetness to this beer but I can't detect any malt...some alcohol is present

M - Medium bodied...bitter, sticky, sweet, alcohol flavor

D - Whatch out for this one...weighing in at almost 12% you have to drink this one slowly...the hops were actually too much for me but if in need of a hop fix this one would do the trick

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a Duvel Snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color with a finger of foam sitting on top.

Smell: Hops, bitter grapefruit citrus, caramel from the malt, and a sting from the alcohol.

Taste: This is weird, I smell hops, but the hops are so subdued on the taste. They are so faded that it is too sweet/malty. I've had this on draft before and it was a total hop bomb. This bottle was not. Caramel sweetness, sugar cane and malt dominate this.

Mouthfeel: Seems like the carbonation is off. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: I'm sure I got a bad bottle, which will affect this score, however I was impressed when I had this at a beer festival. Not sure if they have issues with bottling or not.

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%

A nitro DIPA served at Al's of Hampden.

A: Golden amber. And translucent too. The ale has the majestic brilliance of, dare I say, Younger or Elder. A thin band of head, more CO2 than N2, rests atop the ale.

S: Hot, or should I say Hop, damn! The ale is a blend of intense hop bitterness and fusel heat. A very intriguing nose that is over the top with orange zest, extreme like a good DIPA should be.

T: Wait a minute. This came from BBW? Holy hell! The ale has a serious hop profile, heavy handed and full enough to stand up to the West Coast. The bitterness is citrus to the nth degree, orange peel and grapefruit are concentrated with a near-sugary strength. This is a booze bomb, heavy from the first sip. Paler malts don't get in the way of the hops. The sweetness is profound, rich and complex like those beers I mentioned above.

M: Hop-philia is a must to fully appreciate this beer. Sure it's over the top, but that's what makes certain beers work.

D: Weighing in closer to 12% than 10%, this is not a pounding ale. I enjoyed every sip.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast