Rude Elf's Reserve (formerly Rudolph's Reserve) | Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works

Rude Elf's Reserve (formerly Rudolph's Reserve)Rude Elf's Reserve (formerly Rudolph's Reserve)

Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works
Pennsylvania, United States
thebrewworks.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by goindownsouth on 12-08-2002

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.56/5  rDev +17.2%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Strange brew! But only at first. I had been drinking Mad Elf by Troegs the couple weeks prior to trying this one. When I first poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a standard beer glass and took a sip, I was slightly put off. Where Mad Elf is "fruity," Rude Elf is spicy. It was a bit of a shock. Cinnamon is, by far, the dominant smell AND flavor of this ale. And while I like cinnamon well enough, my first impression was that it didn't belong in a beer. I regretted having bought an entire case at the quite steep price of $60.

But then, by the time I got to the final ounce, my palate had adjusted. The cinnamon tasted warm and toasty rather than cloying. Definite flavors of "the season" - baked goods. The question that remained was - Would I enjoy the next one?

Well, that evening I tried another. And this time there was no shock to the palate. It just tasted good! The smell which has first bothered me a bit was now pleasant and welcome. The flavor continued being quite pleasant - and though the booze is high, I didn't feel any alcohol burn going down.

How does Rude Elf compare to Mad Elf? I cannot even compare, as they are really quite different from each other, despite the "Elf" in both names. They are both quite good, but in different ways. And of that, I am glad.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Rude Elf's Reserve (formerly Rudolph's Reserve) from Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works