Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hopdinger | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

HopdingerHopdinger
3.55/5
Good
HopdingerHopdinger

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House
Wisconsin, United States
osobrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008

4.94/5  rDev +39.2%

I picked up this single 12oz brown bottle as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99 at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL, making them $1.67 each. No freshness date. Also of interest, the company website lists the abv at an even 6.0%, not the 5.5% listed here.

The beer poured a hazy honey gold color with 2-finger's worth of white head that lasts a few minutes and leaves some nice lacing.

Wonderful floral hop aroma with a touch of pine and citrus fruit underneath.

Wow, this is really good. Sweet malty backbone with a honey and almost buttery taste, balanced with mild piny and citrusy hops.

Smooth, creamy, medium bodied with higher than average carbonation, which keeps it nice and crisp.

Not a hop bomb, but a really tasty American Pale Ale. I loved it.

4.6/5  rDev +29.6%

This is my first Hopdinger and my first O'SO Brewing Co. product. I think the beer is fantastic and would consider it for permanent stock in my fridge. Here's why:

I poured this bad boy into a pilsner-type glass I got from Goos Island...It immediately felt like it owned the glass. The color is a beautiful amber and after pouring had about an 3/4-1" head. Perfect! Although My senses are still getting used to reviewing beers, it smelled like a Quetico Province morning. Pine with other outdoors like smells. The smell did not last through the whole beer and was rather bland after the head left. As for mouthfeel, I am not sure what that even means. It felt nice, cool, and refreshing. The "drinkability" is amazing. No complaints here. As for TASTE...This beer is excellent. I am very satisfied. I only wish I had bought a 6-pack instead of mixing 5 other beers with this one. Good Job O'SO. I will be looking for your name more often!

I have to add one thing. I looked up diacetyl since everyone else was using the word. When I took a sip and held the beverage in my mouth and slowly let it drain down my throat I did notice a bit of a buttery taste...Good reviews guys!

Also, I just noticed that my bottle is different than the picture above. Probably a new label.

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

A- Nice orangish APA color, good head that provides some really nice lacing.

S- Nice and hoppy, has an awesome floral/cirtus scent that really brings out the taste.

T- Quite good, perfectly bitter I thought. The after taste is very enjoyable.

M- Although the carbonation is a little light, I find this varies from case to case. I buy this beer very frequently, and since there isn't any bottling date information, it can be hard to tell how old it is, which has a fairly drastic effect on the carbonation.

D- One of my favorite new beers to drink. I can easily drink several in a row without getting sick of it. It isn't overpowering, but has an excellent amount flavor. If you can get it at a good liquor store or grocery store that only stocks fresh batches it is absolutely worth picking up.

If you aren't satisfied with it the first time and live in the southeast Wisconsin area, and thus can get it regularly, I would suggest giving it another try, as you may be surprised by the 2nd time.

4.46/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours a hazy gold to amber with enough carbonation to create a two-finger head of off-white foam. Some lace is left behind with each sip. Awesome fresh cut pine aroma....like a fresh cut Christmas tree. Tastes insanely fresh and hoppy with lots of citrus and a touch of tropical fruit, maybe mango. Soft mouthfeel. A sweet, fruity, caramel maltiness supports a bitter finish. Quite drinkable. Would definitely get this again...especially if I knew it was fresh.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good flavor nothing special, I would have another

4.31/5  rDev +21.4%

A: This is a very heady pouring beer, filling pretty much the whole glass with foam before starting to subside. It's a whitish-beige form with a pretty smooth top, mostly made of smaller bubbles. It's taking it's sweet time to collapse too. The beer is a little hazy, golden amber with lots of active carbonation. Subsequent pours really show off the great form of this head, I really don't like giving it only a 3.5, but I'm going to stick to that.

S: Very floral citrusy aroma too it, really nice. I suppose that's the benefit of having a big head, lots of aroma being given off. It smells like orange candy almost, or orange blossom water. Just a hint of sweetness. I really dig the smell of this beer. Not overpowering, just very much there.

T: Well, now that the head has subsided to a manageable two fingers, lets taste. Still citrus and floral, less sweet than the aroma. It's free of anything I would consider off or less than good, though the bittering hops come through pretty strong, perhaps sharper than I would like in an APA. As the tongue becomes more used to the bittering it subsides (at least in perception) and the beer becomes more amicable, and the malts, smooth and slightly pastry-like come out a little better.

M: Moves from sharp bitter (influenced by the taste) to smooth, with medium body and good to slightly below good carbonation levels.

D: Very drinkable, a good one to smell, and something I could (and have) had a few of in one night with no complaint.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Ample head builds up slowly and hangs on for a little while, nicely wrought. A lovely amber glow in the glass.
Smells of strong, bitter citrus with an unmistakable sweet beer hit in the end. Inviting.
Tastes like it smells, but better because of the fullness of the flavors and how well they all combine. The sweet reminds me of the trailing end of dark chocolate, and it sits there in the midst of the hop bitters, a calm center.
Not too thick, not too carbonated, easy goin' down. Others have called it flat, and while it's not overly carbonated "flat" is too derogatory.
Drinks easy, each sip looking forward to the next. I'll have another, please.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

Wow, O'So might be the best Wisconsin brewery nobody has heard of. I poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It pours with what almost looks like a thick consistency. There's no head and some lacing and there's a nice copper coloring with just a hint of gold. This smells great! There's a sweet caramel scent here that makes the mouth water. And the taste, the taste matches the smell. For a beer called Hopdinger, the hops feel really buried here. It was a surprise, but a surprise that works real well. Combine that nice sweet taste with a creamy mouthfeel and you have something that I could drink 12 of. I wonder what the ABV is on this. I have a feeling that this could be a beer that sneaks up on you. Can't wait to buy another one.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A good day-sipper, this one.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice APA with medium copper amber color and fluffy slow fading head. Subtle complex on nose, crisp and medium hoppy on the tongue. Floral tones with apricot and berry hints and robust malty body.

4.21/5  rDev +18.6%

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect.

Pours a mdium straw with a decent head and lacing.

Aroma is of diacetyl and malt with a sliht hop rider.

Flavor is tannic acis, weak malt and a slight hop bite. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

Not bad,a good quencher. The only bad point is the diacetyl.

Re-visited 10/23/10

A much better beer than the first I had, which in retrospect had to have been old or mis-handled. This is a very solid Pale Ale with a delicious hop and citrus flavor.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Thanks for this little local extra in a trade go to BYOFB.

This beer's color is unpolished copper, thick and hazy orange with some brown in the depth. If it was in a plastic jug with no label, it could easily pass as apple cider. A big, frothy off-white head stands at nearly 3 fingers tall and slowly recedes, leaving a craggy cap that lets loose with some patchy lacing.
The hops bouquet in the aroma is delicious. Pine and floral hops abound but with quite a bit of sweetness balancing from toffee-like malts additions. it's certainly earthy as well with a touch of grassiness that doesn't impart so much of the herbal character it sometimes does.
A little bit of something delicious from the aroma is lost in the flavor, though it's certainly a good one. The malts that were so strong take a back seat, which is good but detracts from the delicate balance. Without the sweetness to it, a little bitter harshness is allowed to come through. Still, this is a good, well-brewed pale ale, and it's not as though the sweetness is lost altogether.
There's a crispness in the mouthfeel that carries through, and a nice smoothness fills out a medium body without being too filling. Carbonation is at a good level.
This is a great beer from a little brewery and one I'm glad I got to try.

4.14/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good everyday drinkable APA.

Far from a work of art in the glass, the aroma of hops and citrus are very pleasant and inviting. This beer is fairly bitter, but has a sweetness in the aftertaste which sticks around.

I have lately taken to drinking this beer regularly. It is easy to drink and sophisticated enough to not be boring.

Hopdinger from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House