Hopdinger | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

HopdingerHopdinger

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House
Wisconsin, United States
osobrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by DaPeculierDane on 06-06-2008

Liked:
3.55/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Poured a golden/slightly hazy color with a 3 finger fluffy white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell is not quite as strong as I would have hoped, but some nice piney/grapefruit scents.

Taste is refreshing - would like a bit more complexity from the hops and a slightly maltier backbone, but not shabby.

Mouthfeel - nothing notable.

Overall a solid APA, but one that I will likely not seek out.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer poured out as a nice golden color with a very large white foamy head on top. The lacing is clumpy and sticks to the glass with every sip. The smell of this beer was very hoppy with some notes of earthy yeast in there that kind of reminded me of some Belgian ales. The taste of the beer was bitter, loaded with hops that go from citrusy pine to earthy dry. The finish still reminds me of some Belgian Pale Ale's I've had in the past. The mouthfeel of the beer has a lively carbonation to it and had a medium body as well. Overall I think this beer was good, I expected it to be an IIPA from the label it had but after tasting it I thought it was supposed to be a Belgian IPA and turned out that it's an APA on here. So it's a little scattered in my opinion. Not a bad brew though at all.

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip pint. No date.

Appearance: Dark Amber in color, very clear with noticeable carbonation. Fluffy head that dissipates quickly, thin layer sticks around. Moderate lacing.

Aroma: Lots of hops upfront, mainly grapefruit, orange, melon, a hint of pine.

Taste: Hops predominate with the malitness playing cacth-up. Hop profile reminds me of a toned down version of Two Hearted. A little bit of earthiness/funk with a sour finish that isn't terribly appealing.

Mouthfeel: Nice and full, decent carbonation, little stickiness on the palate. A little watery overall, but not bad for an APA.

Overall: Not bad, wish I knew how fresh this one was. Not something I’d seek out, but wouldn’t pass up either.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

O'so Hopdinger, O'So Brewing Company, Plover, WI.
"Pungent. Hoppy. Crisp. Floral. Bitter. Piney. Resinous. Engaging."

Well, great, now I don't need to write anything, do I?

I will, anyway.

Murky, dank deep amber hue, considerable carbonation and head. Billowing and lacy. Gigantic. Impressive….whoa, if I don't watch out, they'll have me expressing myself in one word statements.

Aroma: Yup, bitter, floral, piney, resinous, citric, pungent, hoppy, ….let's not repeat ourselves. It hits the notes you want in a double IPA. A little hint of honey in there, too, unless I'm imagining it. And I'm not.

Taste: bitter and pungent, and all that all over again. Malt flavor keep up with the huge hops, and there's an astringency added in that I can't help feeling was unintended. Don't think I tasted this when I bought it back in November. Yeah, why did this sit in the fridge for 3 months? And is the brew older than that, actually? No bottled on date, no way to know.

This bottle is definitely funkier than when it was (I think) fresh. A little sour happening here. Lesson learned. Drink those hoppy beers up, don't sit on them, like the Pliny the Elder label implores us. We're not hens, and they're not eggs.
It does not mean, in any way shape or form, that a week or two or three will make them undrinkable, but …hey, maybe I'm wrong.

I do like this like this. It has a Belgian quality that I find utterly diggable. Not crisply clean like a HopSlam or any kind of palate buster like a Maharaja and nowhere as smooth as an Abrasive Ale. But, quite flavorful, and unique. Lively carbonation, non-stop hops. I do like it.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle tried 24 Oct 2010. Courtesy of R&S, thanks! Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large tight creamy light beige head. Well carbonated. Coppery with a faint haze. Piney, resin and floral in aroma with quite a bit of orange zest too. Starts with a lot of sweet piney resin upfront. Juicy and fruity with lots of resin throughout. Becomes more orangey in the finish and aftertaste. Medium body, moderate ethanol.

Quite easy to drink, thirst quenching.

2.72/5  rDev -23.4%

Very cloudy, dark amber, thin beige head, finally a whispy cap. Some spotty lace. Not the most beautiful pale for sure.

Not much of an aroma either. Some sour yeast, biscuity malt, hints of pine and herbal bitter.

Low/med. strength flavor. Starts with that sour yeast, not tart, definitely sour flavor, some caramel sweet joins, then some hops try to muscle in, but the limp pine and sallow citrus do little more than make me wish for a better beer. Finish gains a touch of bitter to end sour and unsatisfying.

Mouthfeel is too low carb., not clean flavors, not dry enough finish, doesn't clear out very well.

This beer is not a hopdinger, it is not a good pale ale, and is not recommended.

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth pint glass. I think I got this bottle in late November, but no bottle date information to be found as to the age.

A: Clear orange amber color. Finger and half of fluffy white head. Sticks around a while and leaves some lacing trails.

S: Smells like a pale ale. Clean citrus hop aromas. Mild maltiness. I thought this was old, but still smells good actually.

T: Actually a really enjoyable little sip. I get a really clean and bright hop bite in the tip of the tongue. Malt balance is perfect in the mid mouth. And a crisp clean finish. This is still a tasty bottle. Low ABV easy drinking pale.

M: It's light but probably still fits in the medium bodied category.

O: It's a solid little B grade pale ale. I find it hard to go over that for a simple pale ale that doesn't wow me with hops etc.

2.69/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.

A - Deep amber colour with orange and yellow glow around the edges. One finger of cream coloured head formed with good retention.

S - Earthy and citrus notes with a big sweet malt backbone. There is a slightly off-putting aroma that won't go away (yeast?). The bitterness is apparent by not overly pungent.

T - Bitterness up front with floral and earthy notes coming to the forefront. The citrus notes that were evident in the nose are very subdued and almost unnoticeable. A slightly sweet caramel malt backbone provides some balance. The bitterness lingers in the finish.

M - Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Burnt orange with flame highlights roils beneath a soft placid beige cap which recedes to a thin but lasting layer of foam. Delicate sandy lacing, no real legs. Good retention.

Surprisingly malty aroma with biscuity elements reminding me of an English Pale Ale or even a Bitter. Grassy hops with a touch of citrus emerge slowly. Faint oxidized papery smell as well.

The palate follows the nose (including the slight off notes, which mar the presentation of the more gentle hop flavors), leading into a crisp dry finish with a long grassy/weedy aftertaste.

Fairly light-bodied, but nearly creamy as well. Moderately carbonated with a zesty feel.

It seems like there is a decent beer lurking beneath the surface, but sloppy product handling leads to a mediocre brew.

Hopdinger from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House