Dank Imperial Red | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kickapoodude on 12-18-2008

3.9

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

For a red, this is fantastic. Great head, color, smoothan refreshing. Got a four pack , as a present. Didn't know what to expect, but it was great. Love it. Would buy this , in a minute, if it was available in Michigan. I'll guess I'll have to wait for the next trip to Wisconsin.

4.76/5  rDev +22.1%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.63/5  rDev +18.7%

A- Served in an imperial snifter at the O'So brewery taproom. a nice dark red (appeared to be brown in the dark taproom until I held it to the light) with 2 fingers of creamy tan head.

S - Smells like an imperial red ale, which is good. light notes of vanilla from the oak, and a surprising sweetness of dark fruits and brandy. A conversation with the brewmaster revealed that this is aged in brandy barrels and not bourbon barrels as another reviewer here said.

T - Perfect. It would be cloyingly sweet if it wasn't for the >9.0% ABV, and it would be uncomfortably dry if it wasn't from the sweetness of brandy and roasted malts in the grain bill. Balanced nicely together with a great deal of complexity from the underlying subtle hops and oak characters. I wasn't prepared for how good this would be and it really took me aback.

M - Good. By the end of my glass the sweetness had caught up a bit so I had to give this a 4 instead of a 5, but the carbonation level was very nice and I could definitely drink this again without any hesitation. Just don't try to session this badboy.

O - Exceptional beer. It was good enough that I bought a 4-pack for $12 (which I normally would never even consider) and packed it in my suitcase to fly back to Colorado.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Printed on the back of the bottle: "It's time to unveil some of the things we've learned over the past year. This brilliant mahogany imperial red is a meduim bodied ale, rich in caramel sand vanilla notes brought on by aging in wood during conditioning with just enough alcohol to keep you cozy this winter. It's fitting that the first beer ever brewered at Os'o was a red ale given away to our faithful folowers who believed in us. Thanks for sticking with us through the good and bad beers. This one's a preview of many good things to come. Please ewnjoy the future!"

That about says it all. It pours like thier regular red ale, but the head it about three fingers and it lasts for days. The mouth feel is smooth and impressive. The use of oak chips is obvious because of the vanilla and caramel tones mixed in with subtle cherry and smokyness. Very drinkable, and the 1 pint, 6 oz. bottle will get you whgere you need to go at 9 %. This brew shows how far O'so has come, and where thier imagination can take them.

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a dark mahogany, with a thick head. Smells of brown sugar and raisins.

Tastes of maple syrup and vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming.

I had not heard of this brewery prior to this pour, but I will be back. Very easy to drink considering the high alcohol content. I strongly recommend this beer. Nice job, O'so! One of the better beers I've had in a while.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Assuming it is fairly on the fresh side. My second beer from O'so Brewing Company, and I was impressed by their O'so Lupulin Maximus Imperial IPA.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a beautiful dark ruby red color with about a finger of creamy khaki head. Thin ring of wispy lacing.

S - Light, fruity mango / papaya hop smell paired with some nice roasty malt qualities. Has almost a bit of barrel aged sweetness creeping out of it also. Smells surprisingly nice.

T - Smooth creamy vanilla / oak presence carries the beer into your throat, and leaves you with a nice bitter hoppy aftertaste amidst the roasted malt profile. This beer is perfectly balanced. Bit of warming alcohol presence.

M - Feel is slightly dry, with some hop resins. Highly palatable, for damn sure.

Overall, a beer well worth trying. Barrel aged beers are definitely my thing, and the fact that this 'imperial red' doesn't even advertise itself as such, just added to my surprise and enjoyment of this beer! Cozy, warming 9.20% abv, although highly drinkable. Definitely a beer I am interested in revisiting! So far, good things from O'so Brewing Company. Looking forward to more.

O'so Dank Imperial Red ---4.5/5

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

12 ounce bottle cellared at 42.5 degrees F for 2 years.

A - A ripe red that's beautiful my friends. The head is minimal, which is in part due to my slow paced pour in an attempt to not disturb the sediment bed... I was unsuccessful.

S - The sweet smell of malt fills the air with my pour. It has a slightly pungent aroma to it consisting of alcohol, dates and bubble gum. The citrus and pine hops are long gone.

T - Slight roastiness to it with a very accentuated finish of almost too much roast causing an almost burnt flavor. The combination of dates, molasses and what seems to be a kind of whiskey flavor makes for a very complex flavor array. I have to say based on the complexity I think this beer has gotten slightly better in the two years. I rated it a 4 two years ago and today I rate it a 4.5.

M - The feel is moderately coarse throughout each pull making for a steady texture. The turbulance in the look of the beer is obvious once the feel comes through. For the beer being a medium to heavy body the high carbonation presence is really welcomed nicely. I too think this has gone up a notch, however my prior review was from a growler so it is likely the growler would have lost a bit of carbonation with time.

~ This is a fine brew and one I consistently look for on the shelves in Central Wisconsin. If you have not tried this beer you are missing out. Go out, find a four pack, drink three and cellar one for two years. Then write down your thoughts. And have I mentioned the 'head' on this thing. Very, very nice.
~~~
The below review was cast on 1/7/2010. The sampling took place from a growler.

A - Solid, thick, rich, foamy, medium to light tan colored head. Medium to dark brownish red colored body. (4)

S - It has a rich combination of citrusy and piney hops in the aroma. (4.5)

T - Sweet, mildly hoppy with rich and thick malt flavor. There's an alcohol presence but it doesn't overwhelm the brew. (4)

M - Sticky, thick and smooth. (3.5)

~ This is a good beer with some strong character. Its great to see this Stevens Point area brewery pushing limits. Good for you O'so... and great for Central Wisconsin. (4.5)

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Got from my man hopscrazy! Thanks Brian!

A- Murky red brick color, nice 3 finger copper head that leaves sticky goodness all around the glass.

S- Caramel, hints of citrus, pine, tropical fruit and spices... Not as big on the hops as I expected, but really nice.

T- Nice hop bite... citrus gets hidden a little bit by the sweet malts! Lemon, orange peel, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar.

M- AWESOME!!! Really coats the tongue with sweetness... than bitter hops and citrus, before balancing out perfectly between the both! Like eating a Clementine dipped in Caramel!!!

O- An absolutely amazing brew! Citrus, sweetness, just a touch of alcohol on the finish! I can't wait to try all of the other O'so brews that hopscrazy was nice enough to send.

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours red-tinted chestnut to mahogany with a foamy white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of cherry, caramel/toffee, toast and pine.

The taste is of sweet caramel/toffee, tart cherry and citric/pine bitterness in the finish. Quite complex - very well balanced. Slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

It is full-bodied, but not thick. A bit sharp.

Malty, hoppy - sweet, bitter, slightly tart (which is just reigned in enough - any more might ruin it). A delicious Imperial Red!

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at O'so on 07/06/12. I feel the need to preface this review my stating that I normally do not like Red Ales, but I certainly enjoyed this one.

The ale radiated a faint malty aroma with a half inch head. The color was a darker red than I might expect, but this is an imperial red. The first impression was a silky smooth mild hoppiness with a malt backbone. The creamy nature of this mouthfeel makes this ale a little more remarkable. Citrus notes appear, though I would limit it to a mild grapefruit. The creamy nature of the mouthfeel gives the hint of lactose sugar. In the aftertaste, milky citrus notes continue, creating a pleasant finish.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has almost a iced tea color with browns and purples, semi transparent. There was a 1 finger off white head that dissipated into nothing, but left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet with vanilla and has some hints of grassy hop and mild clove. The taste is thin and very smooth, with little to no carbonation. There is a nice vanilla after taste and a good roasted chocolate feeling in the back of my throat. I have been very critical of Oso's based on the few brews I have tired (for the price of them as well) but this is a very good beer. May bring me back to trying more of their selection. Thanks to my BA bud CdKrenz for this sampling.

Dank Imperial Red from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House