Dank Imperial Red | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 42 | Ratings: 125
3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy brown in color with some very light mahogany hues and little light making it through the beer. Head is one finger off-white and retains nicely.

Smell has some rich malty notes forward rich toffee notes along with a floral fruitiness that gives an almost candy aroma.

Taste follows the nose with a rich sweet toffee like malt that persists through the entirety of the beer. Finishes with a mild herbal hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick for a red. Heavy body and medium carbonation give this a somewhat thick feel.

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a huge, dense, off-white head that leaves nice lacing. A bizarre aroma; sweet, fruity, almost bubblegummy. Lovely burnt umber color. Starts incredibly hoppy and bitter, but with a rick sweetness. The Brandy/oak is coming through with the malt in the middle, but the bitterness lingers throughout. Finish is lingering citrus rind with brandy and faint oak.

Wow. What a surprise. The smell makes you really wonder what you're drinking. But, from the first sip, this is STUNNING. A GREAT balance and level of complexity.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Got from my man hopscrazy! Thanks Brian!

A- Murky red brick color, nice 3 finger copper head that leaves sticky goodness all around the glass.

S- Caramel, hints of citrus, pine, tropical fruit and spices... Not as big on the hops as I expected, but really nice.

T- Nice hop bite... citrus gets hidden a little bit by the sweet malts! Lemon, orange peel, toffee, caramel and burnt sugar.

M- AWESOME!!! Really coats the tongue with sweetness... than bitter hops and citrus, before balancing out perfectly between the both! Like eating a Clementine dipped in Caramel!!!

O- An absolutely amazing brew! Citrus, sweetness, just a touch of alcohol on the finish! I can't wait to try all of the other O'so brews that hopscrazy was nice enough to send.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has almost a iced tea color with browns and purples, semi transparent. There was a 1 finger off white head that dissipated into nothing, but left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet with vanilla and has some hints of grassy hop and mild clove. The taste is thin and very smooth, with little to no carbonation. There is a nice vanilla after taste and a good roasted chocolate feeling in the back of my throat. I have been very critical of Oso's based on the few brews I have tired (for the price of them as well) but this is a very good beer. May bring me back to trying more of their selection. Thanks to my BA bud CdKrenz for this sampling.

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into SA Perfect Pint.

A- Pours a nice, deep red with bits of sediment floating about. After a nice pour, there is about a finger's worth of head that leaves pretty decent lacing.

S- Some caramelized malt, a little bit of hops and a little sweetness that I can't put my finger on. Smells like a decent scotch ale. Almost a butteryness.

T- I don't know if the bottle(s) I got a past it's prime but it is pretty muted. Some sweet malt, a little bit of malt, some caramel and a bit of an earthy tone. Again, like the nose, there is some buttery notes in there as well.

M- A medium bodied brew that has very little carbonation but has a nice smooth feel to it. No bite to speak of from the hops.

D- A pretty good, rich tasting beer that I feel doesn't really fit the style too well. Reminds me more of a scotch ale/wee heavy than a red ale. A decent beer that I think would be better fresh.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours about the darkest amber it could to still be considered amber, very cloudy with a quarter of finger of head that escaped while I was typing this sentence.

Smell is caramel, oak, toffee, earthy and citrusy hops and a wee bit of dark fruits (plum and raisons)

Taste is sharp bitter citrus hops at the front, toffee, vanilla, oak, earthy and finishes with a piney bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium full and coating with fine carbonation.

A good beer here that if for sure, but I do not really know what it is trying to be.... Barleywine? Old Ale? Wile Ale? Imerial red.... No it is certainly not that.... But whatever it is, it is damn good!

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured chilled into a standard U.S. pint glass and consumed within an hour, gradually letting it warm up.

A=Deep, reddish brown with a fair amount of cloudiness...okay, but reminded me of motor oil. Small ecru foamy head...one finger, about a minute.

S=Sweetness...clover honey with plums or similar.

T=Definite brandy/bourbon/whiskey presence throughout (if you like brandy and bourbon, this is the beer for you)...sweetness with some fruitiness.

M=Excellent...lighter body with very little carbonation and only a hint of bitterness.

O=I didn't really enjoy the first half of the glass, as the bourbon taste was overpowering and the alcohol was evident. As it warmed up, it became more enjoyable...I still have three more bottles, and will age 1-2, so I will update these notes in a few months.

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle - need to make it know that this is a bourbon aged beer, wouldn't have known or picked it up unless the shopkeep had told me.

A: Beautiful murky, to the point of opaque, ruby mahogany. Substantial beige head considering the barrel aging, very creamy with a slight tinge of orange. Very thick and sticky cream lacing

S: Very interesting. Not as dank as I would have hoped, but still there is a juicy hopped-to-hell red ale in there - grapefruit citrus rind, lightly astringent tropical fruit, caramel and toffee. Creamy vanilla and oak, hot bourbon caramel. Very hot, actually, but it works

T: Bitterness does not assault the front of the tongue as I was hoping and expecting, a rather smooth entrance of grapefruit. In the middle of the mouth the caramel and oaky vanilla open up, finishes with a lot of bourbon heat.

P: Very smooth, medium-full bodied, incredibly soft almost non-existant carbonation. Works well

O: A very interesting and tasty brew. I think the base red ale could have been more aggressive, though I assume the time in the barrel diminished the hops. The bourbon surely adds another layer, but it is not incredibly rich - the heat works well. Good could have been great.

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%

Look: pours dark amber/brown-to red with an off white that really struggles to come to life to due very carbonation levels. Cloudy.

Smell: Big time caramel, musty basement, citrus, alcohol

Taste: The beer is a bit lacking in carbonation so I feel that a lot of the hop flavor and malt complexity are being muted. The hops are primarily citrus and relatively soft; I was expecting pungent and pine. The malt plays a complimentary roll to the hop flavor. For such a big beer, the malt is surprisingly toned down. A little of caramel, toffee, and biscuit come out; a bit vanilla peaks out once it warms up a bit - a nice touch.

Overall, I expected a bit more from the hops, flavor and bittering wise. A bit more IBUs would give it a nice backbone. A solid beer; it reminds me of an English Barleywine with more hop flavor.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This pours a nice light red color with some sediment quickly dropping to the bottom. The smell draws me in, candied malts, perhaps. Super bold taste on this! Hoppy upfront, reminds me of an IPA almost. At the same time, there's no bitterness, despite a bit of an alcohol feel on the back end. Drinkability on this is pretty high, which could cause trouble if you get four or five. My first O'So beer. I'm hoping this is the little brewery that can!

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a dark mahogany, with a thick head. Smells of brown sugar and raisins.

Tastes of maple syrup and vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming.

I had not heard of this brewery prior to this pour, but I will be back. Very easy to drink considering the high alcohol content. I strongly recommend this beer. Nice job, O'so! One of the better beers I've had in a while.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

I'll be honest, the only reason I bought this beer was because of the name. Dank - sounds like a pretty stinky smelling beer, right? Whether it is beer, wine, scotch, etc. I place a significant amount of emphasis on the aroma of my alcoholic beverage of the moment. You got good nose, you got good beer. So Dank should be right up my alley.

Pours orange in color. Aroma is, indeed, dank. Robust nose for sure with a touch of citrus. For a red, the hop character is well represented. Taste is rich, a little hoppy bitterness, a touch of rock candy sugar on the finish. The weakness in this beer is its drinkability. It is pretty heavy on the tongue.

I'm not sure if I've ever had an "Imperial Red" before, but I'm sure it would be hard to brew a better one than this. Excellent in many aspects except for mouthfeel and drinkability.

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%

a - cloudy amber, minimal, dissipating head leaves a little foam, lots of bubbles coming up the side

s - tons of toffee and caramel, nice touch of grapefruit and earthy hops, a little apricot, nose is nice and sweet, alcohol is, surprisingly not noticeable in the slightest

t - toffee and bitter hops, a little citrus, a little booze, sweetness comes out as it warms, caramel and toffee are the dominant notes, risks being a malt bomb but the finish is fairly hoppy

m - a bit prickly with some resiny hops to coat the tongue, not too heavy

d - a little too sweet and hot to really gulp down but a pleasant sipper nonetheless

I've sipped at a few of these, this tasting the hops show up more than in previous ones. This is tasty for sure, but not a ten dollar four-pack.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Printed on the back of the bottle: "It's time to unveil some of the things we've learned over the past year. This brilliant mahogany imperial red is a meduim bodied ale, rich in caramel sand vanilla notes brought on by aging in wood during conditioning with just enough alcohol to keep you cozy this winter. It's fitting that the first beer ever brewered at Os'o was a red ale given away to our faithful folowers who believed in us. Thanks for sticking with us through the good and bad beers. This one's a preview of many good things to come. Please ewnjoy the future!"

That about says it all. It pours like thier regular red ale, but the head it about three fingers and it lasts for days. The mouth feel is smooth and impressive. The use of oak chips is obvious because of the vanilla and caramel tones mixed in with subtle cherry and smokyness. Very drinkable, and the 1 pint, 6 oz. bottle will get you whgere you need to go at 9 %. This brew shows how far O'so has come, and where thier imagination can take them.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%

A. Pours light brown and murky, like dirty river water. Positive to this is knowing I'm about to drink an unfiltered hop bomb. Absolutely no head to it, try as I may.

S. Piney hops although without the head to help waft up the aromas, I can't get much more out of it. Of what I can get out of it, it smells like I should start drinking it.

T. Wonderful! I enjoy the hops up front, caramel in the back, and a bit of heat to this strong beer to keep it interesting. Well balanced beer.

M. Medium to medium-light with a fair amount of carbonation, despite the lack of head. Lingers for a bit, but not in a bad way.

D. Very "sipable". Due to it's strength I won't be having more than one although I can see myself getting through this quickly. Overall a very nice beer.

4.63/5  rDev +18.7%

A- Served in an imperial snifter at the O'So brewery taproom. a nice dark red (appeared to be brown in the dark taproom until I held it to the light) with 2 fingers of creamy tan head.

S - Smells like an imperial red ale, which is good. light notes of vanilla from the oak, and a surprising sweetness of dark fruits and brandy. A conversation with the brewmaster revealed that this is aged in brandy barrels and not bourbon barrels as another reviewer here said.

T - Perfect. It would be cloyingly sweet if it wasn't for the >9.0% ABV, and it would be uncomfortably dry if it wasn't from the sweetness of brandy and roasted malts in the grain bill. Balanced nicely together with a great deal of complexity from the underlying subtle hops and oak characters. I wasn't prepared for how good this would be and it really took me aback.

M - Good. By the end of my glass the sweetness had caught up a bit so I had to give this a 4 instead of a 5, but the carbonation level was very nice and I could definitely drink this again without any hesitation. Just don't try to session this badboy.

O - Exceptional beer. It was good enough that I bought a 4-pack for $12 (which I normally would never even consider) and packed it in my suitcase to fly back to Colorado.

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

For a red, this is fantastic. Great head, color, smoothan refreshing. Got a four pack , as a present. Didn't know what to expect, but it was great. Love it. Would buy this , in a minute, if it was available in Michigan. I'll guess I'll have to wait for the next trip to Wisconsin.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last