Hop Whoopin | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

osobrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2010

1.72/5  rDev -55.7%

Poured into a pint it is a very nice looking hazy peach color.

Ok the smell is where I began to get worried. I don't wanna say it but I gotta marijuana, garlic and onion. I love garlic and onion but not in my beer.

Taste was worse then the smell to me. It was all skunky onion and garlic and I could not get anything besides that.

Mouthfeel to be fair was decent and nicely carbonated an smooth.

It is nothing against O'so I have loved everything I have had from them. I am actually now having a Hopdinger to cleanse my palate. I do not know if this was a off batch but this was my first drain pour in over a year.

When I started the best IPA in your state thread everyone from WI if only O'so would bottle Hopwhoopin so I was real excited but man, not what I was hopin for.

2.24/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Good, might be a bad batch. Had a weird slime on cap.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was bottled exactly one week before I tasted it. Pours a nice clean dark amber and a 1-finger head.

Smell is pungent pine and onions.

I love IPAs and am a confirmed hophead. Also, I love Wisconsin beers. I wanted so much to love this beer. But to me it was disappointing because the hops gave it a weird oniony/garlic taste. Maybe I was expecting too much, had set myself up.

Mouthfeel is a creamy coating that lingers. Very nice.

Overall, whatever hops they were using, god knows. This was one of the strangest IPAs I have ever tasted. O'so is a good brewery and I expect good things from them in the future.

2.91/5  rDev -25%

A. Straw appearance with a white, light head of two fingers. Leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S. Pungent aroma of garlic and onion - a telltale sign of summit hops. Not off putting but not my cup of tea either.

T. The onion on the nose unfortunately carries over to the palate. There is also some pine. Finishes with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

M. Fairly light bodied, okay carbonation.

O. I had high hopes for this beer - I would love to find an O'so beer that I can buy on a regular basis. But I have been foiled once again. Too much onion for my tastes.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured into a 7oz taster.

Hazy yellow pour. Several fingers of off white head. Nose is pine and citrus. This beer is incredibly dry on the tongue. Citrus really didn't port over from the smell to the taste. It was just bleh. I expected some form of sweetness but I was met with a hand to the face.

I've had other O'so stuff that I've really enjoyed. This, not so much. After my initial glass I came back to it later in the tasting to see if I was off. The results were the same. Ultimately I dumped it out. Not awful, but borderline.

3.18/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Whoopin from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House