Night Train - Bourbon Barrel Aged | O'so Brewing Company & Tap House

O'so Brewing Company & Tap House
Wisconsin, United States
osobrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Vierenner on 01-31-2011

3.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Review written 12/12/14. Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: at first it was delightful. But midway through I spotted sludge floating at the surface. Disgusting. Took a spoon and tried removing it. Probably from the base of the bottle. Don't know what it was but still drank the beer. Really unappetizing.

Smell: instant whiffs of whiskey. Actually almost a bit too much. You can almost taste the heavy booze.

Taste: very boozy and sweet. Its more of a dessert beer or something to sip by the fireplace. Once it started to hit room temperature it became tart in the mouth. Hints of cherries with huge dose of bourbon.

Mouthfeel: a bit thin for what I expected.

Overall: the biggest deal breaker is the sludge floating. I never seen this before and found this kind of gross. Also not sure if it was only in this bottle. Hopefully it was. Taste-wise it's not bad, but a bit too sweet for my preferences.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

After whittling away the 1/2 inch thick layer of wax, I finally cracked this and immediately got some gushing. The gushing subsided quickly and I poured in to a Chimay glass. Appearance is dark brown with a small amount of tan head. The nose features deep dark chocolate, charred oak, vanilla, dark fruits, and some plum character. I'm not getting the acidy signs of infection that other reviewers have picked up, but there definitely seems to be a leaning towards the dark fruit notes which could be developing into an infection. Regardless, lots of bourbon and vanilla to go along with the chocolate and dark fruit. The front starts fruity with notes of dark cherries, figs, and prunes followed by vanilla, chocolate and oak. Again, seems like this beer is at the beginning stages of some kind of lacto infection, but as I am consuming it, it remains quite drinkable with plenty of creamy bourbon notes towards the finish. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated with sturdy body. Overall, this beer has some potential. If the QC could be sorted out, this could be a pretty nice bourbon aged stout.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

2.2/5  rDev -30.4%

Finally got the wax off, opened the bottle and the beer started bubbling out the top. Grab a snifter and slowly pour, has a slight vanilla smell that is overpowered by a tart acidic aroma. First taste followed the nose, a little hint of barrel in the aftertaste. The beer got worse as it warmed, either infected or a poorly made beer. Drain poured most of the bottle, three of us did not finish the initial taster.

1.25/5  rDev -60.4%

4.3/5  rDev +36.1%

3.11/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A bit scared after reading a recent review regarding a potentially infected bottle. Figured I'd get to this one sooner rather than later just in case. Poured from 750 ml bottle into my Duvel tulip on a night full of thunderstorms and humidity after sitting out of the fridge for 15 minutes.

A: A very dark, dark brown bordering on blackness with a finger and a half's worth of dark cream head. The foam slowly dissipates leaving behind some really thick lacing, resulting in a thin skim of bubbly head.

S: A bit one-dimensional. I'm really only picking up on the barrel notes here with a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. I wonder how much more complex this would have gotten in the bottle for some more time and am eager to see how it changes as it warms (which will happen quickly given the weather).

T: Just as I was starting to think the previous reviewer must have gotten a bad bottle, I'm starting to pick up on the same problems. I'm met with a subtle tartness that fades into the barrel from the nose. On the back of the tongue, this is not a bad beer at all, with strong hints of vanilla and milk chocolate, but I can't imagine that this beer was meant to have sour notes.

M: This drinks pretty well, though it is a bit thin. I realize that it's a porter, but I would still like a bit more body, as I was expecting a creamier texture given the thickness of the head. With the base beer having an ABV of 6.7, I can't imagine this beer's ABV is much higher. With this information, I suppose one could drink this down pretty easily for a while, though I wouldn't necessarily want to.

O: Talk about two different beers in the same product. I was excited to get into this brew after enjoying the appearance and smell, but am really turned off after having actually tasted it. If you have a bottle, you might as well get into it now while there's still a chance it hasn't started to go South.

2.03/5  rDev -35.8%

Missed this by about a half-hour at the release in January & didn't shed but a small, internal tear. Bottles popped up just over the WI border so thought I'd take a shot. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

First, the wax. What the fuck? It's a beer, not Fort Knox or your daughter's virginity. Slow & steady, after about five minutes, I achieve penetration. Victo....shit! The bottle starts prematurely ejecting its black darkness, bubbling over slowly. Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. The pour is over-carbed, seriously. Porter black. Nose borders on the suspicious. Roast, bourbon, & a nice salad bar side of fruit. Don't like the hints this one is dropping.

Bourbon Barrel Night Train, I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of you at the release: thanks to all you greedy beer geeks. There's a nice bourbon & vanilla tilt here, but it's at the back of the throat, & subtle. Big roast. Unfortunately, there's also an acidic, slightly sour fruit tang in the middle that doesn't bode well for its long-term prospects (or short-term, for me). Really takes the shine off the barrel & nearly drowned the base beer in the sink. The foul gets worse as it warms. I'm not going to finish it. Ditto my wife.

I'll go ahead & say it: this beer is infected. Drink them now if you have them, they're not going to get any better. Wish I'd had it fresh, because this is a lousy beer now.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

I apologize for the brevity of the review, but the 2012 bottle is clearly infected. I had this fresh, which was very nice, but after a month the remainder of the bottles I had were clearly falling off. I got to try a pour of a 2012 bottle on 11/1/2014 and it is most certainly not worth pursuing, unfortunately. Hopefully the BA Imperial Night Train does not follow the route that its predecessor took.

Night Train - Bourbon Barrel Aged from O'so Brewing Company & Tap House