Mission IPA | Mission Brewery

Added by Stoneman78 on 11-04-2007

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.64/5  rDev +26.1%

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%

Gadzooks! Where did this beer come from? Was it a gift/extra in a trade? Did I buy it locally? Did my cousin bring it for me? I am losing my mind. Please accept my apologies if it came from you.

From the bottle: "Fraught with hops complex, vigorous and virile. Endowed with a subtle malt character for a sturdy and balanced ale. Our Award-Winning interpretation of the popular style reflects both the history of the IPA and the distinctive and relatively modern American version. Cascade and Centennial hops are employed generously and the result is an earthy ale that is most drinkable."

My pour created a finger of tawny head with rather low retention that created some nice lacing as it fell. Color was a hazy, murky orangish-yellow. The nose hit me with an explosion of minty, piney hops and my salivary glands kicked into high gear. I am a Hops Junkie and I readily cop to it. I am no longer under the Hops Thrall as I once was, but I need to maintenance drink the occasional IPA to fend off withdrawal symptoms, lest I shake like a dog passing a bone. The mouthfeel was full, approaching creamy and while I did not achieve an outright bone, I have to cop to a chubby. This was what I was craving - minty, piney hops just running wild across my tongue, leaving nothing in their wake, not unlike the Scrubbing Bubbles I used in my shower the other day. The horror of yet another Minhas beer began to fade into memory and I was no longer jonesin'. Cue The Forgotten Rebels and their Top 40 Deprogramming hit (sort of) "Surfin' On Hops-oin". Man, Sid & Nancy got nothin' on this hip cat. They know how to make a score worthwhile out there in Cali. The finish finished me. My tongue lolled and my eyes rolled back in their sockets. If that is not your idea of a good AIPA, then I feel sorry for you, amigo mio.

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

Excellent IPA! Served with a nice thick, creamy, foamy, cream-colored head that settled to a creamy (ouch - what's a synonym for creamy?) cover and lots of fine, sheeting lace. Color is a clear amber with loads of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is an aromatic blend of hop and caramel malt with a hint of fruit. Flavor's like nose, has limited sweetness, perfect balance between bitter, carbonic tang in front, with that sweet just to compliment. Body and carbonation perfect. Finish is a little long and pleasant, very drinkable, and only the suggestion of alcohol. I want more!

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Had on tap at the old toad in Rochester. Pours a golden color with a hint of orange. Not very much head, weak retention and no lacing. Beautiful color, however.

Has a great citrusy smell of hops.

Tastes very much the same- citrusy hops with a mellow malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good- light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. This is a very enjoyable IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I love this beer but apparently I have to "justify" my rating.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

This is an amazing beer...I love the smooth finish...sweet yet no smack of alcohol or bitterness...well balanced for that much 9.25% alcohol...I can't really find any typical disappointments to this beer...the only criticism is that I prefer a slightly more pronounced hop in the citrus flavor...I would serve to my buddies with pride.

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice head, good texture, weak aroma from an IPA. Nice everyday IPA that seems to pair well across a wide range of food options

4.44/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good IPA. Living in New England, I don't get often enough.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Mission IPA.
I drank a lot of these while I was in San Diego last year. It was pretty much my fall back beer. I thought of it as kind of an amped up Sierra Nevada pale ale. I can't remember the place though ~ isn't that odd? I had no idea where Mission was from at the time (it was just another Cali beer to me), but looking at a map now, I could have probably walked there from my hotel!

Appearance: Hazy golden-orange body beneath a full head of frothy off-white foam that holds remarkably well and leaves behind sheets of spotty and streaky lace.

Aroma: Not overly blown, but decidedly hoppy. Gently citrusy and softly pine-like hop notes amidst biscuity malt.

Flavor: Tightly combined flavors of biscuity malt and piney, leafy, and citrusy hops around a bold bitterness. Grassy and floral notes appear in the dry, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a dextrinous edge. Crisp carbonation gently bristles the tongue.

Drinkability: It's not a slap you in the face IPA, it's a little too malty for that. Neither is it a punch you in the face IPA... it's not quite bitter and hoppy enough. BUT, it's an IPA to be sure! That said, it's not overly bitter and it doesn't display any raspy or overly resinous hops that might put some tasters off. It offers a solid, gently sweet malt base that's part of its showcase, but they've kept it balanced. That leaves it fairly accessible to a wide audience while still offering more than enough character for seasoned tasters. Nicely done.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

From notes on 03/17/12:
Code on bottom of bottle: 15/22/304/11/0548/S; Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - One inch off-white creamy and fairly fluffy head with pretty good retention; Light amber and caramel colored with a slight haze within the glass; Good showing of speckled lacing left behind

S - Nice balance of malts and hops here; For the hops, there's lots of grapefruit, some apricot, and just a bit of floral and spice; As for the malts, there's sweet caramel, biscuity, and toasty notes present

T - Good balance of malts and hops here as well, but both have enough presence to hold their own; Lots of sweet, sugary grapefruit with a bit of citrus, pine, and tropical fruit, and just a faint wave of bitterness; Plenty of toasty, biscuity, and caramel malts step forward that mesh really well with the hops; Aftertaste is very pleasant that still shows the malt/hop balance

M - Good amount of carbonation; Medium bodied; Leaves the mouth a little sticky and pretty dry

O - This southern California IPA showcases a much more balanced flavor than many of its west coast counterparts. However, I think this brew packs enough hops that, while balanced by the malts, still satisfy my craving for hoppy flavor. Not only is there a great balance, but the hops and malts really play off each other well to make the sum greater than the parts. I don't normally see Mission offerings in my area, so I wouldn't mind grabbing a few more of these before they disappear for good.

Mission IPA from Mission Brewery