Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shipwrecked Double IPA | Mission Brewery

missionbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

Shipwrecked Double IPA from Mission Brewery