Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shipwrecked Double IPA | Mission Brewery

missionbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

1.3/5  rDev -65%

Deep amber color with about 1 finger of white head. Pretty good lacing. Sweet toffee and malt nose. Lots of caramel, touch of earthy hop.

Tons of malt, sweet toffee and dark fruits up front with just a touch of earthy bitterness. Lingering sweetness. Feels like a Double IPA without any thought and not enough hops. Full mouthfeel, semi-syrup like on the finish. Balance isn't there and it tastes tastes like homebrew. Bleh, glad I didnt bring this into my shop.

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.58/5  rDev -57.4%

By far the worst, sweetest most boozy DIPA I can remember having. Jesus, in this day and age you would think a brewery that has regional distribution could come up with something better than this. Sticky sweet and taste like straight up rubbing alcohol. NEVER AGAIN!

1.9/5  rDev -48.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy copper orange with a medium creamy off-white head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some resiny hops and alcohol.

The flavor is a little sweet malt with a ton of sharp bitter alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I remember this being much better on tap. All I get is bland bitter alcohol.

1.92/5  rDev -48.2%

Ehhhh this is a below average DIPA. Its on the hot side. Smooth is an accolade I'd shove under the rug. Alcohol is up front and personal. The hop profile is watered and the malts are stale.

For the price this is out of its league.

Yikes. I'm 0 for 2 from this brewery.

1.94/5  rDev -47.7%

Tastes like detergent. Hard to finish. Too much alcohol

1.94/5  rDev -47.7%

Hazy orange with a scant single finger of slightly off-white head. A few rings of lace.

Weak grapefruit and slight cattiness. Some esters and slight alcohol, no real malt, though, and something reminds me of blue cheese.

Bitter, boozy, blah malts, and not much in the way of hops. Some grapefruit, but not much else.

Could use some more carbonation, a little syrupy.

There are any number of better, readily available DIPAs on the market.

Decent double IPA enough flavor to make it drinkable

2.12/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle from JohnCoctsin. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear light amber color with a single-finger white head that leaves some nice spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries plenty of bready malt and some light caramel. Hops? Nope. The flavor is bread and some very light caramel and sweetness. Bread crust is the most apt description. Hops? Nope. Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Bitterness? Nope. Three strikes.

2.13/5  rDev -42.6%

Bought this with moderate expectations. Made this account just to write this review. The beer might be a lot better if it was packaged more properly. Like a lot of people, I nearly refuse to drink a craft beer straight from the can. Likewise, I felt the need to pour this brew into my Russian River nonic pint glass. I lost about a quarter of the beer by simply trying to pour the damn thing. I created a second air hole in the can and all and I could not get a proper pour without most the beer trailing down the can and making a damn mess everywhere. I finally got enough poured out so I could properly pour the rest of the damn beer and because it wouldn't pour properly, the beer foamed up obnoxiously. In the end, I got a hoppy, and clean flavor with a flat carbonation. Probably never going to revisit. Most terrible can design I have ever seen, hands down. It affects my experience with the beer, so yes, I feel like it ruined the quality of my beer. Would have had a decent score if I could have managed a good crisp sip or two, but even the taste isn't anything to die for and doesn't stand out amongst the other DIPAs available. Couldn't even get that from the first three sips from the can. If you don't have a problem drinking a beast of a brew from an insanely big can, then give it a shot. If you wish to pour this beer, find something better. The beer wasn't even worth the price in the first place.

2.36/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Hazy orange with white lacing around the edges
S-Slight hops and something I cant quite put my finger on.
T-tastes kind of metalic. No idea where it is coming from. Now I know what I was smelling
D-not very good, metalic taste and all
M-lightly carbonated, light bodied

Dont know if this is a bad bottle or what is going on with it.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shipwrecked Double IPA from Mission Brewery