Shipwrecked Double IPA | Mission Brewery

missionbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Halcyondays on 02-17-2010

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into an imperial nonic a slight hazed beep amber/bronze with a nice one finger sticky crown atop,big doughy,sweetish malt aromas,the hops take a backseat to the big malt,almost barleywine in style to me.Hefty sweetness on the palate,caramel and biscuit malt with some alcohol zip to lend more sweetness,the hops are subdued to me providing a little citric shot.Another sweet bomb of a DIPA,I would say this is even sweeter than most I have had.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a lighter fizzy 1/2 finger head that sticks around a bit at least, nice layered lacing, over mostly clear nectar orange with a slight reddish hue.

Nose has some bittering hops, plenty of malts, sweet malts with some caramel and bready toasty reddish malts. The hops bring some candied like aromas, with light candy orange and earthy syrupy almost hop extract like, and hints of candied tangerine and clementine.

Taste comes sweet, quite sweet actually, lots of malts that just bombard the taste with sweetness and even some syrupy flavors, a bit of a maple like flavor as well that comes with the reddish malts, caramel, toffee, and nougat. Sweetness tries to balance the booze but doesn't quite go far enough, or in thsi case I think too far that the booze comes out the other end... uhhh didn't mean it that way... but the booze still comes out with a warmth and little tingle. The hops are mostly bittering, fairly bitter but not enough to balance the malty sweetness, light candied tangerine and slight clementine like citrus, earthy hops, but not much of any of the flavors, mostly just bittering that even somehow gets a bit astringent. The finish is still fairly syrupy and sweet, it tries to dry but just can't, with a big astringent bitter bite that doesn't want to go away, even with the sweet malty mess, just a bit of booze on the finish as well.

Mouth is heavier bodied, some warming and tingle booze, decent carb, bit syrupy.

Overall not very good, a mess of a beer, way too overboard on the malts, sweetness, and booze, but still somehow finds a way to get too bitter and astringent, and the hops don't add much except the bitterness. Quite undrinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Mission's Shipwrecked Double IPA pours a surprisingly hazy, almost cloudy, deep-amber orange body beneath a frothy head of off-white. (Perhaps I simply didn't allow the bottle to sit undisturbed for long enough). The head retention is quite good, and it leaves excellent lacing about the glass.

The aroma is soft and smooth, offering up sweetish golden-caramel malt tones threaded through with resinous, gently citrusy (some Simcoe? Amarillo?), piney, and grassy hop notes.

In the mouth it's medium-full and decidedly dextrinous, delivering a creamy-smooth pass across the palate with just a gentle caress from the median carbonation level.

The flavor is as the aroma suggests it will be, but with a backing of solid hop bitterness to keep it in balance. It starts with an almost doughy sweet malt that glistens with drizzled golden caramel; adds to that a delicate bit of yeasty fruitiness; and then dives straight into a hay bail of grassy, leafy, citrusy and floral hop flavors featuring orange, apricot, papaya and a bit of rose. The bitterness rises late mid-palate, and the alcohol adds a flash of peppery spiciness. In the finish the malt sweetness and bitterness slowly fade and rise respectively, eventually balancing amidst lingering notes of malt and hop flavor.

I appreciate that Mission has avoided going for a big juicy hop bomb loaded with all of the raspy edges that citrusy hops can deliver. And they've also stayed away from the pine cone hand grenade! There's a bit of citrus and pine to it, but I find more apricot, papaya, and Fruit Loops than I do pineapple and grapefruit, and I think that gives them a little bit of uniqueness amidst the crowd. And it certainly lends to drinkability. It's a big beer, no doubt, but it doesn't really show beyond the malt and mouthfeel. The alcohol is well cloaked for the most part, and the maltiness balances it superbly. Well rounded. Well hopped. Worth seeking out!

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

On-tap 4/11/2012 at Track 84, in Warwick, RI served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright golden brown color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains fruity citrus, caramelized malts and floral hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel followed by a strong hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a solid 2IPA to drink for a while.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

On tap @ The Toronado (San Diego, CA) on 3/22/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a thin covering of bright-white creamy head. There's a moderate richness to the retention and lacing. Decent little look here. The aroma has some hops going on with it, with some floral notes, pine, and some light pine. However this very sweet overall in the nose, with a muddled mix of sticky fruit and malts. Very sweet here...

The taste is the same, with a LOT of deep sweetness to it from tropical fruits and bready caramel character. The hops only really come out in the back, with pine, spice, and a bit of an off-putting earthy grittiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice firm mouth-filling creaminess to the carbonation. To it's credit, this really isn't showing much alcohol and the feel here is probably the best part of the beer.

Just way too much sweetness here for a DIPA, with more hops needed at the forefront of the profile. I've had a couple of different beers now from Mission and this wasn't one of the better ones.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

In a sea of big, ugly DIPAs, this once seems suave and debonaire. Sensationally aromatic hop flavors with a large malty taste. Not overly bitter, however, for all the hoppy fireworks. Fills the mouth nicely. So full of malt, but very spicy. Some bitter orange flavor, but not the grapefruit pith. Alcohol provides some heat, but on the whole it is very well balanced.

One of the better big IPAs I've had. I think Mission has a more drinkable approach to their use of hops, which I like. On tap at Mitch's Seafood, San Diego.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden-orange body with a tall, off-white head depositing scattershot lace blots on the descent.

Smell: Pale malts with some sweet-scented sugar-encrusted hints to it beneath the resinous hops scented of orange and a bit of lemon.

Taste: Sweetish, sugary elements from the cookie-hinting, pale maltiness. Flutter of apricot fruitiness, then a hearty dose of citrus followed by a bit of resinous pine. Moderate bitterness. Dry, bitter, citrus-accented finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's decent enough, but doesn't really embody a truly magical, memorable experience. I mean, I did drink it, sure, but hold a bottle in front of me a year from now and I'll probably say "who??"

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

--Albert Einstein

Perspicuous persimmon with Kruggerand accents and an expansive crown that is midway between eggshell and ecru. The foam has an appealing texture and is doing a bang-up job laying down abstract-patterned lace.

The aroma is classic pale malted and C-hopped American DIPA. Orange zest is at least as prominent as white grapefruit, which might mean that Amarillo is present. Well-masked alcohol is a positive. Less than explosive hoppiness is a negative.

Shipwrecked Double IPA is similar to quite a few other versions of the style. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't make it bad beer. It's just that hops share too much of the flavor spotlight with malt... and warming alcohol has now made an appearance as well.

The malt tastes pretty close to 100% pale. That background sugar cookie sweetness is joined by a large splash of triple sec (orange liqueur) and very small splash of Absolut. Unfortunately, the beer isn't hop *flavor* focused enough for the next highest taste score to be granted. Again, many American DIPAs suffer the same fate.

On a positive note, the mouthfeel finds that sweet spot between too light and too sappy sticky. If the bubbles were softer and the beer was creamier, the drinking would be more enjoyable.

Shipwrecked is of roughly the same quality as the other Mission Brewery beers that I've reviewed. That is, it's clearly better than average, while falling well short of special or memorable. Love the Jolly Roger on the label.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The pour is amber in color with plenty of white head sitting on top.

S: The hop notes in this beer are very fruity and sweet. A lot of grapefruit combines with some tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. The sweetness is helped along by ample amounts of malt.

T: This starts off a bit malty for my tastes, but the hops help it to recover offering up some grapefruit and pineapple notes, along with a moderate bitterness.

M: Shipwreck is medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This was just a touch too sweet for me, and that's not what I look for in my IPAs. I would look for other options before having this one again, but it wouldn't be my last resort.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped off a Quart (!) CAN for me in his latest box. My eyes went wide in wonderment and now, I am simply anxious to try it. I remember BMCS (SW) Gerry Wargo as referring to everyone as "Shipwreck" vice the standard "Shipmate". Ha! I wonder how different I might have been had I not started out in Deck Department ...

From the 32 Fluid Ounces/946 ml CAN: "1913 [-] 2007"; "Keep Refigerated [,] Please Recycle"; "Double India Pale Ale - A style of beer curiously born on the foggy shores of Father Junipero Serra's first founding mission. Our own vigorous entry is one rebellious IPA, quick on the trigger, and brimming with a bounty of hop ingenuity. This is a big, bold, brazen beer, a restless vision of a new America. Brewed by Mission Brewery, [CAN] Diego, [CAN]ifornia 92101."

Man, I actually had some difficulty in achieving the Crack! on this one! It made a noise like a steel drum and then opened up to reveal another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will be whatever I CAN make happen once I get the crane into position to hoist it up. Some slight spillage occurred due to the opening being positioned further back than normal for a CAN. Fortunately, my tongue was lolling out of my mouth anyway, so I put it to work swabbing up the excess. Arrrrgh! This is destined to be a nautical review and so I gave the word to avast heaving around to assess what had transpired. Two dense, foamy fingers of tawny head with good retention was the word returning from the fo'c'sle. We staged it there as it was the only place on deck with enough room to CANduct this operation. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) and I ordered the torches brought out so that we could cut it down into reasonable sizes. The nose was rich with minty hops underlain by caramel malt and I suddenly understood why it was marked with the Jolly Roger - this was death by DIPA and it meant to take no prisoners. "What ho!?!" I cried out and throwing all remaining caution to the wind, took my first draught. My poor, bruised tongue was the first casualty in the assault. This came ashore like a battering ram and immediately went to work on the already weakened bulkhead of my taste buds. Soon, it was worming its way into my tongue like I had sprayed it with hydrofluoric acid! "Arrrgh, it burns, lads!" I cried out in a combination of agony and ecstasy. The boys broke out fire hoses and began watering me down in a valiant effort to stave off the attack, but to no avail. Having breached the initial bulkhead, it took to flooding the bilges of my empty stomach. It was not long before I began to founder, listing back and forth, to and fro, finally settling on a heavy starboard list. The boys began writing a grocery list in the hopes of righting me but in the meantime, wave after wave of marauders came aboard and before long, half of the monstrous CAN was aboard, biting, attacking and just being a general nuisance. I gave the order to abandon ship, but my crew refused to obey, instead forming a bucket brigade to try and remove this powerful liquid. Sensing their loyalty and reluctance to give up, I met the CAN head on, CANsuming a mighty draught just as another wave poured forth from the CAN and into my glass. "What, ho!?!" I cried out. "No quarter is to be given and none is expected," came the unforgiving reply. My eyes began to tear up, not of my own volition, but because the onslaught was too much for any one person to bear. I was getting very minty hops and alcohol heat from it and the finish was so dry that Zephyr winds began to blow, filling my sails and propelling me away from this beast. I stepped back to assess the damages and things were in utter disarray. Holes blown in the sails, masts broken and sheared off, more holes in the hull than I could count, a starboard list that could not be overcome and worst of all, sticky lacing that not even the needle guns could prove capable of removing. I put my head down and began to weep openly but just as I did, the lookout sounded a sighting. This beast was not done with us! It tacked around and let fly another volley as though from a bottomless source. "Nooo!" I cried out, but it was too late. We were CANpletely and utterly overrun and there was naught to do but surrender. Unfortunately for me and my crew, there were no terms of surrender in this case and we were summarily executed. If that was the case, then how do I tell this tale? you might ask. The Hoodoo Gurus sang about us on "Death Ship".

In the ultimate irony, the CAN fits directly into the top of a shaker glass. I suppose that if I really wanted an experience, I could have inverted the CAN. Proceed at your own risk.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dull golden body that's pretty clear. A little bit of a head and a little bit of lacing. The color of it is kinda dreary.

Smell - Not very aromatic. I had a sniff of a Pliny before sniffing this, though, so that might explain why it smelled like almost nothing. What I did get was some pine hops and a bit of sweetness.

Taste - Dominated by hops. Not very citrusy. Earthy and pine hops with a bit of sweetness from the malt. After that it's all bitterness. Very bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation and a hefty body. The finish kills it. It's so bitter.

Overall - Hoppy, but in the wrong end to be a good DIPA. No problem drinking it, but it wasn't memorable.

On at Mad Mex during happy hora, so it didn't kill my pocket book. Drinks nice, just super malty for a DIPA. Definitely not your typical West Coast DIPA. Which actually worked for this beer, usually I like the West Coast DIPA to take the enamel off of my teeth with hops but in this case. I'm alright with a deep orange russet body pouring with a thick beige head, fine even layer lacing. Nose is full of citrus/floral notes very nice expressive finishing hops here. Starts out agressive with citrus/floral notes but as the malts surround the hops the flavor fades into a well balanced high alcohol IPA. Drank pretty effortlessly, was I expecting more hop bitterness and flavor of course, but I wasn't disappointed by it. Mouthfeel is full to medium bodied with a nice flowing carbonation going strong. Overall experience less hops than expected from a West Coast DIPA but it didn't harm the overall enjoyment level this beer had to offer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

A middle of the road mediore dipa, at best. Too many malts and no real hop influence. A nice drinking experience, but as far as all the characteristics I would hope for the style: not much there. I could do without it, as you can see by the numbers on this one.

Shipwrecked Double IPA from Mission Brewery