Harveys Elizabethan Ale | Harvey & Son Ltd.

Harveys Elizabethan AleHarveys Elizabethan Ale

Harvey & Son Ltd.
England, United Kingdom
harveys.org.uk

Style: Old Ale

Added by purplehops on 12-31-2001

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

1977 Vintage. Brewed for the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Consumed on 8/4/2011. This is really an OLD Ale. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pours witha very slight head. Am I seeing carbonation??? This is insane, seeing this beer is eight years older than I am. The carbonation pretty quckly dissapears as does the head. What your left with is a beautiful set of legs, graced over the ruby/brown body. This looks intense. Getting really stoked to get into this one.

This is fantastic. This is one of the best smelling beers ever. Yeah, its very old (34 years), so its a bit oxidized, but it works here. Leather, tobacco, tons of dark fruits, dates, figs, raisins. I can't get enough of this. I probably kept my nose buried in my glass for several minutes without even tasting it. Glorious.

Sweet, oxidized, dark fruits, even a touch of touch of wood. The taste is wonderful. No real bitterness to speak of, of course. This is so impressive. Tastes exactly like I want a 30+ year old barleywine or old ale to taste. The flavors just linger in the mouth.

This is pretty full in the mouth. Thick and slick. Yes. No carbonation, but who cares?

I have been very fortunate in the fact that I have tried many of the Jubilee ales. This has been one of the two best I have had. The other being Ansell's Strong Ale, but unfortunately that beer is not on here to be reviewed. I hope to someday get my hands on another of these, although I'm sure that is very unlikely. Now, I suppose, I should try some of the later vintages of this beer if I can track some down. Amazing stuff.

2.57/5  rDev -34.9%

From 9.3oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/27/11
*From notes

I'm not sure of the vintage, as there was a big pricing sticker placed on the label.

A: Purple-amber in presentation, with a tiny .5 finger head and no lacing to speak of.

S: Malty prune juice. It's overly sweet and syrupy on the nose, making me pull away from the glass.

T: Hardcore prunes and raisins. Big time branflakes and rottting black fruit. It feels like this one was aged a bit too long at the brewery, as it's too cloyingly sweet.

M: Rough, like liquid sandpaper.

O: Harveys Elizabethan Ale misses the mark. It's too sweet and lacks any sort of balance. I will say that due to the prune juice like flavor profile, my Grandma would love it.

2.62/5  rDev -33.7%

Becoming interested in Strong Ales and Old Ales, which have, on this side of the Atlantic, taken a back seat to Barleywines, I had to pay the premium for this bottle when I saw it at a local beer-and-wine.

Bottled in '98 I hope it has been well-cared for and shows the finer character of long maturation.

A- Amber. Poured freely into a La Trappe chalice. No carbonation, no head. Just a Honey-looking beer.

A- musty. something like cheap old man cologne. some figgyness. alcohol fumes. woody. caramel.

T- alcohol, musk, slight caramel, prune syrup. Lots of syrup and alcohol. This tastes like molasses cookies soaked in ethanol. Then it becomes oily. I guess it has mellowed from something wilder, but after 12 years I assume it has even surpassed sufficient aging to become something blander, or off-flavored.

M- Too heavy for the lack of flavor. I dunno how it does both oily and sappy, and how people enjoy it... but here it is!

0- This beer actually tastes BIGGER and hotter than it actually is. Usually it's the sign of good brewing for a beer to mask it's alcoholic fortitude. Syrupy and tangy, I'm hoping this is just an off batch.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Dark ruby with an orange hue. Tiny, foamy, bubbly, off-white head. The head doesn't stick around very long leaving a thin lace.

S - Nice old ale aroma with burnt caramel, toffee and butterscotch. Also some spice, hints of dark fruit, berry, and apple. There is a slight alcohol aroma along with a very faint phenol aroma. There is some sherry/port aroma but it doesn't dominate for a 12-13 year old old ale.

T - Raisin, burnt caramel, toffee, and butterscotch are the biggest providers of the flavor. Some other faint dark fruit. A touch of alcohol as well. My major problem is that it doesn't last long enough. Fairly sweet with a slight spice kick.

M - Medium body with low carbonation (to be expected) and fairly slick, oily feel.

D - Goes down easy, and it is a nice drink. Not quite as full or big in flavors as I was expecting. Definitely wouldn't have more than one in a night, but it is nice.

Notes: Didn't see a date but I was told it was '98 and from other reviews that looks right. Decent old ale, but nothing to write home about. Sweet dark fruit and some alcohol provide the most flavor. Lacks a bit of the fullness and complexity that I would expect from a 12-13 year old ale. I liked it, and it had some regular old ale aspects, but it is nothing special and didn't show the complexity that can come with aging some old ales.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Little bottle from Buffalo.

Orange-brown pour with a small off-white head that laced well as it dropped to a film. Beautiful highlights. Big boozy, vinous nose has way too much going on to transcribe. Really reminiscent of a Hardys. Big fruit character, with lots of plum. Sherry-esque, brown sugar, booze, vinous notes. Lots of depth and complexity. Chewy, low-carb body.

I feel this one is under-rated on this site. It's a pretty traditional take on the style, but it's a good one. Tastes like history.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

(no bottling/bb date - but must be well kept at the store that still has about a dozen more on the shelf)

Looks like they took their time with this one. Glows a clean, deep rouge/brown with tiny flecks of yeast in suspension. Low volume carb and just about head, just a few big bubbles.

What a lovely, vibrant nose busting out before you're done pouring. Scotch-ale-like (hmm!). Fruit-juicy: port, plum, prune... Definitely a barleywine profile matched with its malt foundation.

Terrific balance and interplay of flavors. Barleywine straight-up with a faint bit of smoky, tobacco tang. Filtering through that a rich port vinousness, follwed not long after by a sweet smooth brown sugar malt rush - not caramel in the least.

The aftertaste sports surprising contrast to what's up front - hoppy, aromatic, floral, with tiny old ale sour trailing from the middle on out. It drinks with notable weight - heavy syrupy/soupy, malty molasses smooth. Late, soft warming. No carb prickle.

This is grrreat - no real significant flaws to mention. Can i get some more? I need to double-, triple-check some things. (I know where to get more...)

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%

Aromas of fresh port wine; really spectacular yet subtle. Tons of dark fruit (raisins and figs) followed by a musty earthy oakiness (but the dark fruits are much more predominant). As it warms you get more burnt/brown sugar sweet smells.

Taste is pretty good but a letdown overall. You get the figgy/raisiny dark fruits but you also get some molasses, smokiness and woody notes. Lacks that punch or dominant flavor. This hasn't been brewed for 2 years so maybe the age is catching up with this beer.

The main detractor is the lack of carbonation, I mean zero. It hinders the mouthfeel and makes it seem more syrupy and cloying that originally intended (just guessing).

As far as drinkability goes, I mean you cannot detect an ounce of alcohol but the syrupy texture indicates it's at least 7%.Taste isn't off-putting; I have already finished half of the beer just trying to get all the attributes in this review. Wish I would have found this a year or 2 ago to sample before it's removal from Harvey's normal line-up.

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

to be had on the first brisk day of the year as a transition to so thicker drinks. Everything speaks malt honey. An aged but still existent head. Some stickiness of a nearl white head. Palate is chestnut warm, coated in dark sugars. I nice velvet that doesn't coat like a barley wine but carries the carbonation on the palate. For some old and english an exceptional feel. Would go great with mildly seasoned meat.

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Not sure on age on this beer as no freshness date is visible but I am certain it has at least a little age on it

Appearance- off the pour its an extremely dark brown with no light at all to be seen through it starts off almost looking flat but with few seconds its slowly slowly bubbles and creates very short lived thin white head that fades to white lacing,

Smell- malts, rum, raisins, malty nose but rather faint overall,

Taste- flavor is all very faint not sure if this could be product of too much age, slight faint malts and very almost gone bitterness on the back end, all the flavors are very faint and muted, slight alcohol flavor of almost a port or brandy, as it warmed the slight bitter hop tones on the finish became slightly more pronounced, also faint chocolate tones to be noticed, overall the flavor is not bad on this and not shot yet but probably getting there as finish of drying is now very faint, overall very mellowed flavor

Mouthfeel- very heavy thick and smooth with very little carbonation

Drinkability- at this point though the beers not horrible its not particular ally great, I have to be totally fair and say I have never had a fresher example of this beer and I guess never will, so cant totally rank this beer at all wouldn't be fair, at any rate this beer has shown it could handle age with out being spoiled, hmm wonder what this once was : )

1996 vintage bottle purchased at Green's on Buford in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a thin off-white head. The head quickly recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing - I chalk this up to the age on the bottle.

Smells of sweet caramel malts with good amounts of booze-soaked fruits - apricots and golden raisins mostly. Hints of sherry waft out every now and then and as the beer warms deeper chocolate malt aromas kick in.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of medium fruit flavors. The fruit is leaning more toward darker varieties than the smell, golden raisins and plums with hints of lighter apricots. Midway through the sip a solid booze burn makes an appearance and carries through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was impressed with how well this beer held up and would bet that I like it more now than I would have 14 years ago. Worth a shot if you see one around.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a mostly clear consistency. There was almost no head to speak of. Decent lacing.

S: Smelled of malt, alcohol, and possibly a fruit component.

T: Tasted of malt, though not overwhelmingly so, molasses, and dark fruit. The alcohol wasn't as noticable as I would've thought.

M: There's a decided lack of carbonation here, along with a kind of slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Despite some deficiences, this is a drinkable beer.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Deep copper with good clarity. A strong pour netted a small and fizzy cream head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring at the beer's edge. Leaves just a little bit of lace.

S: Very complex if you let your nose linger. Quite vinous initially with aromas of currants and black grapes. Things then get really interesting as scents of tobacco, leather and black tea come on. A mild alcohol tingle rounds things out.

T: The aromas make a nice transition to the flavor. At its core, the beer has a Port quality inspired by the grape, currant and alcohol flavors. Toffee and tobacco add on extra complexity and let you know that this is more than a carbonated wine. Bitterness is very mild and brings on a slightly acidic black tea flavor. Finishes dry and warm, with a lingering bittersweet toffee flavor.

M: The medium body is slightly syrupy and just about the right level of fizz.

D: I liked this beer a lot. It felt like a good candidate for a cool or cold evening in front of the fireplace. Very wine like and a nice change of pace.

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

Presentation: Classy, old-school lable, short brown pop top. No freshness date, though I think this is pretty old, as I'm not sure they even brew it anymore. Still, excited to pick it up and give it a try. I'm willing to risk $2.99

Appearance: Dark, slightly murky mahogany beer; a hard pour still fails to produce much of a head

Smell: Definitely a bit oxidized, though there is still some toasted caramel, buttery malt, and fruitiness present as well. It basically just smells like a past-its-peak English barleywine...surprise surprise, right?

Taste: Quite vinous, slightly sour (again, showing the age), but some nice dark caramel malt is still hanging out in the background, even after all this time. There's a nice earthy, yeasty character as well. Overall, aside from being a bit old, this isn't too bad, and probably was pretty darn good within a couple years of its being brewed.

Mouthfeel: Not much in the way of carbonation, but slick and medium-full bodied; I bet this was glorious in its youth

Drinkability: One's good for me I think

Conclusion: This was a crazy-nice surprise that I found at Lukas' in Kansas City. I had always wanted to try this and never thought I'd have a chance. It's definitely a bit past its prime, but I'm guessing this one's been on the shelves for awhile, and probably not under ideal conditions. That being the case, it's held up pretty well.

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Was curious as to how this ale would hold up from it's creation in 1996, that's 13 years of age on it, wow.

A: Opaque, cloudy, darkened brown, spotty to sparse lacing, no head to speak of, smallest signs of carbonation present. Mucky black yeast left in the bottle with some escaping into the glass even with a gentle pour.

S: Mellow alcohol, mild sugary esters, vanilla, kitchen cupboard, and call me crazy a hint of grape kool-aid.

T: A little too much age on this one is what raced to my mind as it touched my palate. Tastes like watered molasses with a finish that is briefer than a sports star meet n greet.

M: No carbonation noticable on the tongue and crosses the line of being too thin.

D: A vintage I would certainly not grab for again, but then again the storage of the bottle is a bit of a mystery. Newer vintages will yield better results I'm sure.

3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a snifter. My bottle was marked as #02716

Aroma: Sweet malt aroma with a hint of alcohol. Some dark fruit, very much like a port.

Appearance: Amber to brown color (like dark apple cider). Slight (almost no) light brown head. Clear with a few rising bubbles visible.

Flavor: Medium malt and some molasses-like flavor. No real noticeable hop flavors. Sweet at the finish with some alcohol and dryness. Somewhat dark fruit, port-like in flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium (to light) body. Very flat with little carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth.

Overall Impressions: The flavor was fine, but the mouthfeel makes me wonder if the bottle was a bit old or past its prime. It would have been nice to have another bottle for comparison to see if this one was a good example. It does drink a bit like a wine (port). If this is true to this beer, I would not buy again (in the bottle anyway).

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Thankfully there was a decent head on this, I was afraid it would be flat and oxidized. That would be only half true.

It pours into a tulip a really lovely ruby jewel tone, with a finger of offwhite foam (not flat, whew). It receded fast, and left some spotty, soapy lace on the sides, retaining a ghostly skim across the surface. Aroma was unusual, tea leaves, molasses, cookie spice, and sherry. Certainly smelled old. Not much trace of alcohol, but some indistinct fruits and caramel.

Flat, waxy taste, with hints of what might have been. Nutty, raisin... eh. Some tobacco bitterness in the aftertaste, followed by more grape/raisin. Kind of a gross slick/waxy feel to the liquid. Probably won't be finishing this.

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Bottled in 1996. I picked this up at my local bottle shop. I thought I should probably try a 13 year old beer and see how it is.

Pours into a snifter a cloudy mud brown with suspended bits. Non aggressive pour to keep out the bottom sediment resulted in a ring of tan suds around the edge of the glass.

Smells like dark Jamaican rum with apple cider.

Wow, major disappointment here. Watered down big time. Some light apple taste, some dark rum, a little brown sugar with a finish of watered down coffee. Lots of watery booze. The taste is a mess.

No carbonation at all leaves this feeling thin and watery.

This may be a drainpour for me. I think I've only had one or two others in my life. I haven't had a fresh one of these, but I would have to say this did not age well at all.

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured a dark caramel apple with absolutely no head, lacing or visible carbonation observed. Overall not much going on here, flat, lifeless and rather unexciting best sums up the appearance.

S: The nose reeked of fusels with a strong acetic nature (vinegar). Think of dying eggs at easter time. Unfortunately the acetic nature pretty much masks up any other aroma that may have been present.

t: The intial flavor was sweet caramelized grain juice and vinegar (acetic twang). Sour green apples add acetaldehyde hints while a warming alcohol spiciness of apple cider and cinnamon chime in as well. The beer proceeds to finish on notes of caramel raisins, dates, and a bit of syrupy sweetness which does add a bit of complexity to an otherwise mundane start.

m: The mouthful was flat, void of any carbonation and presented a medium fullness that had an oily texture.

D: Overall drinkability was fair if you understood the direction of the beer. Would not recommend to the casual craft drinker as you may get the impression that this beer is bad. I would not consider drinking more then one of these at any given sitting and it is highly unlikely I would be a repeat purchaser here, just not my style.

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
VINTAGE: ???? (No markings on cap or bottle)

This one pours a dark amber color. About 1/8 inch of wispy foam forms a head, then dissipates, leaving a nice ring but no real surface covering. Lacing is in tiny spots and somewhat sticky, but also quite oily.

The nose is extremely port-like. If handed this glass, without knowing what it was, I'd guess port, without a doubt. Huge notes of raisins and oak. Mild notes of caramel and treacle. Notes of smoked sugars. Mid-level notes of booziness.

Not exactly what I expected it to taste like, after the nose. Treacle and huge notes of molasses are the dominant flavors here. More oak presence, very woody and a light touch of smokiness. Notes of figs, dates and mild raisins.

Medium-bodied with a very low carbonation level. It's almost still. Very smooth indeed, but no creaminess, which hurts it a little, IMO.

While the abv was detected in the nose, it's almost non-existant in the taste. If you like ports/sherries this is very nice. If you don't, then you should stay away.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%

275ml bottle. Bottle label reads, "For Best Before End Date and Lot Number See Bottle Top". But, the are no markings on the cap, or anywhere on the top of the bottle. By the looks of this bottle, this thing has some age to it.

Poured slightly thick, reddish-brown in color with no head. Smell of fresh cherries, apple, bread. Very sweet, and slightly sticky. Lots of yeast, and flavors of dried fruits, and a little smokiness.
This has very nicely balanced bitter finish, that rounds off perfectly. I could easily drink another, if I had it.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

I grabbed this one when I was down in Florida. I had never seen these little bottles before so I grabbed a couple and just got around to trying it recently. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 02/22/2009.

The pour was nice, deep, dark brown with a nearly clouded over appearance. Nice little head of tan rose up over the top and settled down quickly into a small, light pillow that covered just enough. The aroma was a mixed bag of earthy malts, hints of a light hop presence and a smooth, delicate profile that was a treat to behold. Light alcohol note as it warms up and lots of caramel as you move in. The flavor was rich. Nice touches of nuts, caramel, hints of cinnamon and spices really liven it up. A very full palate here. A hint of bittering hops as it warms and the long, slow finish was just wonderful. A very solid little beer, well little in size only. I would not mind having another for sure.

Poured clear reddish brown color with an average off-white frothy head that was mostly diminished with fair lacing. Moderate spicy malty and alcohol aroma. Medium body with a sticky texture. Medium sweet dark fruit flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

I would recommend this to a freind.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Harveys Elizabethan Ale (2002 Vintage) pours up smoothly with a light carbonation that creates a modest tannish-brown head that proudly tops the ruby-tawny brown body. Lots of tight, lacy bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass. The inviting multi-layered aroma is quite complex with notes of fruitcake, caramel, chestnuts, cherry jam, sourdough bread, oiled leather, oak, vanilla, dry sack sherry, et.al. The flavor starts off with a nice treacle character carried by some dusty maltiness that's underscored by an earthy bitterness. Subtle hints of leaf tobacco, maraschino cherry, figbar, turbinado sugar & molasses keep this one interesting. This medium-bodied old ale has a dry mouthfeel with a touch of astringency. It's lightly warming with a bittersweet, slightly tart finish. Here's to Old Lizzie, may she have a glorious slumber!

CHEERS! Beertracker

No date stamp on bottlecap. Served in nonik at 60F. Ruby.

Mouth-watering aroma is bursting with dark fruits and freshly toasted malt. A flavor of toasted malt and rum-soaked raisin, date, prune, plum, fig, currant, and a hint of black cherry? There's even a slight tartness. Massive depth of flavor and richness. Hides the ethanol quite well. Barely-perceptible hop bite at the finish.

Imagine a cask version of this, or one infected with Brettanomyces.

I'm going to have to give this one is a 5.0. I don't see how you mark it down on any attribute.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

1999 Vintage! Finally got around to trying this brew that i bought in Denmark a few years ago.

A: Deep dark brown/red with a minimal lace.

S: Barley, Raisins, Caramel, Syrup, Malt, Port wine.

T: Sherry, Caramel, Molasses, Figs, Ripe Fruit, Sugar.

M: Very sweet with very low carbonation. Warming.

A fine old ale / barleywine that has aged with grace. Would have been interesting to see how this brew tasted fresh. This makes for a perfect dessertbeer or just something to sip at late at night. Very nice!

Harveys Elizabethan Ale from Harvey & Son Ltd.