Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout | Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Reviews: 401 | Ratings: 478
2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

This was the 2000 vintage, from an 11.2 ounce bottle with a cork in it, and was labeled as 9%.

Appearance: Motor oil. It was poured vigorously into a 13 oz. Unibroue tulip, and still there was no froth or head to speak of. Obviously my expectations were tempered by the age, but it was as flat as flat can be.

Smell: Oak, licorice, burnt rubber, and then some funk. It made me want to call up Jolly Pumpkin and make sure there wasn't a misprint on the label, but I didn't because there wasn't the requisite pungency of brett, just an old woodsy funk. Not off putting actually, very intriguing.

Taste: Uhhh....not what I wanted. The flatness of the pour translated into a flat tasting beer. Carbonation was completely gone. That being said, I've had much worse when it comes to flat beer. I've never had a Russian Imperial like this which makes me think that this is a harkening back to the original style of brewing this type of beer. It is on the sour side for sure, but not undrinkable. I think 10 years of aging was probably 5 years too much for this specific variety. The oakiness is apparent, and it reminds me a little of climbing trees as a boy and accidentally getting some of the sap in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Viscous. If it were a blind tasting I would know I was drinking beer just because I drink a lot of beer. If you gave it to a non beer drinker they might have trouble discerning it from a sherry or madeira. Definitely has the characteristics of a fortified wine.

Drinkability: I struggled through the glass. I certainly won't buy another of this vintage. Not because of the strength but because of the mild unpleasantness of having to finish what I started. Would love to try a fresh one, or just one that's not quite as old. I have several other RIS's cellared, but if this is a barometer, I will crack them sooner rather than later.

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.