Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout | Harvey & Son Ltd.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double StoutLe Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout

Harvey & Son Ltd.
United Kingdom (England)

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 02-19-2001

Reviews: 401 | Ratings: 477
2.3/5  rDev -32.9%

Thanks to Alastar for this one by way of IS BIF 2. Poured from a 12oz. corked bottle into a Blue Point snifter. 2003 vintage.

A: Gentle pour yields a .25 finger deep, coarse mocha head that dissipates as quickly as it forms. This is by FAR, the darkest opaque black beer that I've ever seen. I didn't know black came in shades until I saw this monstrosity in my glass. Lacing is stringy and spotty in parts with decent cling.

S: Aroma is one of wood, sweet soy sauce, prune juice, booze, and toffee. Definitely unique as the woodiness is very prominent in the nose.

T: This beer may be corked or infected or both. That being said, opens woody with a huge cork taste. Slightly sour at the opening and this becomes more pronounced towards the middle. Booziness is very noticeable throughout the whole experience. Sour cherries and wood engulf any hint of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, toffee, or other "stouty" flavors. Finish is sour, aftertaste is bitter coffee beans and more sourness.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily but abrasive in the mouth. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: A 2.5 because I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt that I had a bad bottle. If I have a good one, I'll edit as needed. As it stands though, a total drain pour. Almost vomit inducing. Off flavors were very prominent and they dominated the regrettable though admittedly brief experience.

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

2003 cork and capped bottle

Poured in a goblet.

Pours no head at all. Caramel brown in color that settles black.

Aroma: Smells of barrel aged notes. Oak is very dominate here. Maybe some whiskey flavors. It i has some vanilla and sweetness flavors. Rich chocolate, molasses, and dark fruits. Awesome aroma.

Taste: Nothing like the aroma. Huge booze and oak flavors. Chocolate, caramel, molasses, and vanilla. The flavors are the same but there is no sweetness and too much booze all around. Big letdown here.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light bodied for how thick it poured. Low amount of carbonation. A rather flat beer on the palate. Ends clean with chocolate flavors.

Overall, the aroma is the highlight of this beer. The rest of the beer... meh. Not something I would seek out again or something I want to drink again.

3.98/5  rDev +16%

2003 Vintage. Pours a near motor oil black color with no head. Scent is muddled and made up of boozy alcohol, dark fruit, heavy roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Taste is quite a suprise, the chocolate, fruit and alcohol notes from the scent combine to give a dark chocolate cherry cordrial candy like taste with touches of strong roasted coffee. Full bodied, oily, coating and bitter aftertaste. This beer is a definite sipper and not for everyone, but the strong aggresive flavors work well.

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Pours black. Has a copper colored head.
S: I can't make out the smell other than a bit of alcohol. Not to say it doesn't have a smell. It smells good but indescribable.
T: Alcohol and copper? It tastes good but leaves a coppery aftertaste in my mouth. But it isn't unpleasant or lingering.
M&D: Goes down really smooth. After I get a better taste for Russian Imperial Stouts (this is my first) I will retry this. As it stands I wouldn't make this my nightly beer. It feels too heavy. But to be my first, it rules.

1.84/5  rDev -46.4%

Bottle from 2003 aggressively poured into a bottle and there is almost no head.
a-Pitch black and the slight head that is there is a deep red in color.
s-Very oakish and liquor heavy along with a variety of old shoes and socks and anything else I would find in my grandpas gym bag.
t-Very repulsive up front that tastes like an OLD imperial stout. There is bitterness and an old cork taste towards the end.
m/d-Feels like an angry WW2 vet is kicking your ass with a cane. We are drinking this one way past its' prime.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

* 2008 Vintage (9%abv.)
BB 2012, served cool in Gulden Draak tulip-shaped sniffer.
A: surprisingly, the bottle is cracked open with a high-pitch hiss, then the beer just storms out of the bottle taking me totally off-guard; ending in the glass is a pitch black hue coupled with lots of microscopic fizz in action, topped with a super huge dark tan foam, settling very slowly to a thin sheet to last. Totally different in appearance from the previously corked version.
S: acidic mustiness (like a lambic+oak-aged cider) and aromatic old oak woodiness spring to mind, along with secondary notes of black prunes, black cherries, soy sauce and burned woods, against a rich & thick oily black malty backbone. True to the old-ish style.
T: the very smooth foretaste of sour-sweet black malts with a spicy edge come on top of pleasantly sour oily black prune juice, then bitter-sweet coffee, charred nuts and burned malts, licorice root, earthy bitterness as of English hops with a hint of treacle prevail, leading to a long aftertaste that is simultaneously bitter, chewy and sour-sweet, showing at times aroma of charred wood-chips even.
M&D: although the appearance implies a lively carbonated body, on the palate it is surprisingly smooth and silky, finely carbonated at the lowest-necessary level. This classic, full-bodied yet easy-to-drink English RIS is as delicious and well-structured as ever, yet the overall performance is not as complex and desirably "stale" as other much older versions I've tried. But since the essential heavenly elements are all well retained in this new capped RAIB version, I really look forward to trying another bottle in two years time.

* 2003 Vintage (9%abv.) Tasting Date: 15/08/2009
This is actually the last vintage packaged in the traditional corked and sealed version, as the brewery hasn't got the cork-ing line ever since. 6 years old Le Coq this is, BBE 2009, served cool in Hapkin's bulb-shaped sniffer.

4 A: pours a jet black hue, coming with unknown carbonation and a rimmed soapy brown head. Looking just like a proper glass of overly-aged stout...
4.5 S: the nose is surprisingly pronounced for a 6-year-old English RIS - suggesting black malts, a faint touch of warming alc., tobacco, tart apple-juice, sour-sweet Chinese smoked black prunes, old Rioja Grand Reserva-like oakiness with a little musty vinegar and stale woodiness, and utterly bitter (and sour) dark chocolates... Most lingering is the sour woody element that actually penetrates the air to reach my nostrils a good 10cm away from the glass! Hops are pretty much non-existent, driving this ale apart from any contemporary take on the style. For drinkers not familiar with this old-world RIS, I'm sure the balance is not so enticing, but for me a Le Coq's lover the stale+oaky nose in the glass is absolutely welcomed.
4.5 T: lubricating without being oily, the immensely burned bitter foretaste has with it LOTS and LOTS of smoked black prunes, charred wood-chips, and stale woodiness, ensued seamlessly by a flow of tobacco-ish and semi-coffee-ish roasted malts, while the bitterness of a bucket load of hops makes up the really chewy mouthfeel, as well as a lightly spicy leather-ish and black-pepper-cone like undertone in the very end. Beautiful black prunes add to the lingering aromatic finish, with a key note of sourness to it of course.
4.5 M&4.5 D: ever so smooth on the carbonation, the bitterness actually renders the slightly soapy, chewy, powdery and spicy mouthfeel; this full-bodied RIS doesn't show any alc. to my tongue, a loyal witness to how the last vintage of corked Le Coq has matured patiently over the last 6 years... A classic RIS.

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%

2008 Vintage

Poured into a Portsmouth tulip glass. A nice, big, foamy tan head sits on top of a motor oil black body. Lots of sticky lacing left behind. Looks great.

Bready cocoa and honey on the nose. Hmmm... this is a bit different from the typical imperial stout. Slight whiff of vinegar, touch of coffee and a bit of chocolate. I'm surprised at how much bread is on the nose. Hopefully the faint aroma of vinegar is not from infection.

Tipping back the glass brings out some harsh acidity up front, followed by dry cocoa powder malts. Some vinous character and bittersweet chocolate. Touch of alcohol. And a faint hint of sourness. Interesting.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with some sharp carbonation. Warming alcohol. Quite dry with a touch of lingering funk.

Drinkability is alright. This beer is fairly tasty, but it feels like it might be in the early stages of infection. Hard to tell for sure, since I have never had it before. The flavor and aroma are quite interesting, but not exactly what I would consider to be the norm for a RIS. Overall, I enjoyed drinking this beer and may pick up another in the future to see if it tastes any different. However, at $6.29 a bottle I'll probably stick with Old Rasputin.

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The bottle was a corked 2001 (9 year old) vintage. It poored a kind of nasty flat black color with no head, which i guess makes sense since it was so old. The smell was rubbery at best. Maybe if I felt particularly nice I would said it was kind of like licorice. The taste was also very locoricey and rubbery. Couldn't really pick up any maltiness. I guess it felt smooth to the mouth. As far as drinkablility, it was tough just finishing one. I hope that this beer was just too old to drink (although I would've imagined the guy at the beer store who recommended it would have said something if it was, maybe not...). Otherwise, I'm not really sure what the czar that sanctioned this original russian imperial was thinking. He must have been too drunk off bad vodka to care.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

This was the 2000 vintage, from an 11.2 ounce bottle with a cork in it, and was labeled as 9%.

Appearance: Motor oil. It was poured vigorously into a 13 oz. Unibroue tulip, and still there was no froth or head to speak of. Obviously my expectations were tempered by the age, but it was as flat as flat can be.

Smell: Oak, licorice, burnt rubber, and then some funk. It made me want to call up Jolly Pumpkin and make sure there wasn't a misprint on the label, but I didn't because there wasn't the requisite pungency of brett, just an old woodsy funk. Not off putting actually, very intriguing.

Taste: Uhhh....not what I wanted. The flatness of the pour translated into a flat tasting beer. Carbonation was completely gone. That being said, I've had much worse when it comes to flat beer. I've never had a Russian Imperial like this which makes me think that this is a harkening back to the original style of brewing this type of beer. It is on the sour side for sure, but not undrinkable. I think 10 years of aging was probably 5 years too much for this specific variety. The oakiness is apparent, and it reminds me a little of climbing trees as a boy and accidentally getting some of the sap in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Viscous. If it were a blind tasting I would know I was drinking beer just because I drink a lot of beer. If you gave it to a non beer drinker they might have trouble discerning it from a sherry or madeira. Definitely has the characteristics of a fortified wine.

Drinkability: I struggled through the glass. I certainly won't buy another of this vintage. Not because of the strength but because of the mild unpleasantness of having to finish what I started. Would love to try a fresh one, or just one that's not quite as old. I have several other RIS's cellared, but if this is a barometer, I will crack them sooner rather than later.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured this one from a unique, 11.2oz, corked brown bottle into a shaker pint glass. Label notes this as the 2003 vintage. Also clearly shows this as a 9% abv beer (not 10%).

A= This ale poured the deepest black and was almost entirely still. Only the slightest "pfft" noise escaped with the cork's removal. No head, no lacing, yet the color was strangely enticing.

S= Boozy mix of alcohol, wood, molasses, roasted grains, and a very very slight hint of brett (maybe from the wood and the sheer age of this beer).

T= Started off with a kiss of sweet dark malt and molasses then moved quickly into some light roasty bitterness and a lot of wood-filled funk. Seriously, the oak gave this ale some tart and lightly sour notes that are almost Belgian in character. Also reminded me of certain red wines at times. Finished lightly acidic and full of alcohol warmth.

MF= Heavier bodied with a tongue coating viscosity and no carbonation to cut through the thickness.

D= Interesting but not the most drinkable of beers. I have no doubt that the 7 years of age on this took something out of it, but it was a wild ride nonetheless.

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%

9.3 oz. bottle, 2008 Vintage, 9% ABV,

A: Pours black with a nice 2 finger brown head, thick lace.

S: Definite chocolate, with fermented carob. Some definite acidity adds chocolate covered cherries, coffee and strawberry.

T: Definitely a lot of dark chocolate here, it dominates. Roast with some dark fruit, black cherries, sweet heather flowers are there as well. The fruit which is clearly evident in the nose really comes out at it warms, drink this above 60F for the full flavour and brilliance.

D: Very creamy with carbonation, full-bodied, quite smooth and an easy drinker.

D: This is an interesting beer to look at. I've only had the old corked bottles, the '01 and '03 vintages back before my BA days. I loved the lactic raw acidity in those, the tradition was clear. The bottle cap clearly preserves the beer better, but I think it's just missing something to make it stand out, like the old bottles did. This is a good imperial stout as is, no doubt. The old acidity made it something special, above just good, hoping they'll move back to that in the future. Perhaps it needs more age? In the end though, this beer is a classic of the style and something that's always a joy to drink.

Brewed 2008

A - Pours with a scant one finger head of dark brown foam that rests on top of a completely opaque, black body. The foam settles at an average pace and leaves a hint of foam clinging to the walls of the glass.

S - Surprisingly fruity with big notes of bubble gum, banana, and mango. Some moderately dark chocolate as well with notes of phenolic smoke, leather, and an aroma of fruity, unlit pipe tobacco.

T - Thick, malty sweetness up front with notes of dark chocolate, raisins, leather, and plums. The malt darkens in the middle with more brown sugar and molasses as well as some spice notes of cinnamon, allspice and coriander. Big, phenolic smoke notes come out in the finish with a peat richness that lends complexity and some leathery qualities. Lingering smoke flavors sit on the palate long after the liquid is gone with notes of smoke, plum, and molasses.

M - Thick, oily body, moderately low carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Wow, if I have ever had a throwback beer, this is it. The most distinctive characteristic of this beer is the rich, fruity smoke character. The combination of smoke, plum, and spice is something that is truly evocative of burning peat. If you have ever been in the presence of a turf burning stove in Ireland or the UK, then you would understand what I mean; the finish of this beer tastes the way a peat fire smells (though perhaps a bit more pleasant). I can't call this a drinkable beer, and I don't know that I would want another one, but it is so unique that I would urge anyone with the opportunity to try it to do so at least once.

2.71/5  rDev -21%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

33cl bottle poured into shaker pint glass

2003 vintage corked bottle

A- Jet black opaque body with absolutely no head or lacing.

S- Red wine/port alcohol notes, faint rich fruit cake, faint roasted malt, plums.

T- Slight burnt malt, coffee grains, with rich sweetness minimal. Toasted bitterness high in the finish with alcohol well hidden

M- Low carbonation, a bit dry/puckering in the mouthfeel

D- Certainly doesnt look the part, with expected port like qualities from the aging with still a high roasted bitterness but any sweet luxurious malty fruity estered backbone is gone. Didnt enjoy to be honest. Wonder what its like fresh.

1.11/5  rDev -67.6%

'Vintage' bottle from 2003. Aged by B. United, not me.

Yay autolysis and oxidation!!

After making a mess of the counter and myself trying to get the cork out, I poured a bit of this oily-looking stuff into a snifter. Completely opaque and really, about the consistency of 10w 50. About the same head, too. It doesn't look incredibly appetizing, but it's pretty hard to pass judgment on a beer for its appearance. Where this stuff can be faulted is, well, everywhere else. It smells god-awful. Not just awful, which apparently awards it a '1.0' here on BA, but god-awful. Where's the .5? 0? In any case, the wave of soy sauce is the first thing that hits the poor little smell-receptors. They're in for a beating. This stuff really reeks. It's beyond oxidized. There should be new terminology for this. The odor is so off-putting I could barely keep my nose in the glass long enough to smell the comparatively dainty roasted malt. As I guessed, letting this stuff loose on my tongue was none-too-pleasant. Revolting is fitting. What a ridiculous, oxidized mess. There's still a stout there somewhere, but it's awfully hard to find. Kikkoman beware, this stuff might beat you out in a blind tasting over vegetable fried rice. Maybe they could make it into a spread and sell it to those people that somehow enjoy choking down vegemite.

I haven't reviewed anything in ages--it seems like a pointless exercise, normally--but I had to express just how incredibly bad this stuff is. If I had actually bought this bottle, I would rage.

This is why beer should not be put down in a cellar. Even by professionals. I've had a lot of beer, but this *might* be the worst ever.

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a vintage 2001 11.2oz corked bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is rich dark brown/black that even with an aggressive pour yielded only a small amount of brownish bubbles on the top. Like other vintage beers like this, I;ll assume that's the age and abv in effect.

Smell is fairly boozy up front with followed by some fruit, and some hints of coffee and licorice as well.

The taste is quite strange to me at first, almost coming off like a potent red wine with a coffee flavor to it as well. Certainly something different than most of the Russian imperials I've had. Almost doesn't even seem to be the same kind of style but its not a terrible taste. As it warms, a bit more of a sweetness comes out, with the coffee flavor and a tiny hint of chocolate. But definitely a novel flavor for the style I feel.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with not any carbonation to be had, but for a nine year old brew. There is a mild bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability is average for me. It goes down fairly smooth and has an interesting taste that I'm not used to for the style. Its certainly a sipping brew and only one at a time for me. Not a bad brew, but something I think would be better every once in a while. Down the road I might try some younger vintages of it to see how they fare.

4.15/5  rDev +21%

A - Pitch black color with a full, thick, creamy, and sticky dark tan head. Good retention with a good creamy, sticky head left.

S - Complex, dark smells. Plenty of dark chocolate and coffee. Also a lot of dark fruit, especially dark cherry which provides just a touch tartness. A touch of licorice and molasses. A bit tart, a bit roasted aroma, and just a slight hint of sweetness. Also just a slight touch of alcohol.

T - Similar to the nose. Plenty of dark malt with some roasted flavor and some chocolate, coffee, and some molasses and licorice. Mid sip more dark fruit and tartness comes into play. There is some date, raisin, and fig, but a lot of dark cherry and tartness and just a little touch of sour. Also a good amount of grape/vinous flavors present too. More sweet dark fruit and some earthy and roasted taste come out more in the finish.

M - Full to medium body with slightly below average carbonation. Very smooth and slick mouthfeel.

D - Pretty good drinkability, especially considering the ABV. The general fruitiness may wear a little thin after awhile, but the flavors are diverse and well balanced with tart/sour, sweet, and slightly bitter (mostly roasted bitterness). A lot of enjoyable flavors, but it really doesn't kill your taste buds.

Notes: ABV = 9%. Vintage 2008. Interesting beer that is apparently a view of a classical Russian Imperial Stout. A lot of fruity flavors with a good amount of tartness for a stout. That said, it still is very stout like. Pretty tasty and enjoyable beer. It didn't blow me away, but I would get it again if the price were right.

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%

This is the closest I've come to tasting an authentic Russian Imperial Stout, for the Russian court. 2008 vintage from a 9.3 ounce bottle, listed at 9% ABV, on to the beer:

Black like charcoal, mocha tanned head on top is healthy, leaving some settling lace on the glass. The nose, at first, is full of chocolatey malts, but the intenisty really drops and cherry begins to mix with the chocolate. Meh.

There is little like the imperial stouts made in America. First, there is some dark chocolate. Then appears quite a bit of cherry flavor. Roasted/smokey flavors perfume around in the mouth. Put it all together and it's an interesting experience. Mouthfeel is great, it's leaning towards thick, but doesn't get in the way, and the sticky sweetness it leaves around my lips is welcomed.

I feel like I'm been taken back 100 years. After this, I can see why the Russian court would be fond of the style. Put it in your favorite snifter and sip away.

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

This is the 1999 vintage

Pours absolutely no head or carbonation, completely flat. Body is pitch black with dark brown at the edges. No lacing at all, this beer looks dead

Smell is pretty complex. First there is some chocolate with sweet liquor like port. There is also some oak and oxidation. It ends with a tartness similar to that of a gueze. Alcohol isnt really present, neither are hops

Taste is weird. Tartness and oxidation dominate. Underneath that though, there are some good qualities. Faded roasted chocolate malts are there, along with sweet port. Dark fruits like figs are also there. Hops are pretty much all gone. This beer kinda tastes like a batch of Utopias that went wrong. For 10 percent the alcohol is hidden well

Mouthfeel is completely flat. Body isnt too rich even though it looks like sludge.

Drinkability is a tough one. This beer is pretty unique and the flavors arent all that bad. I think the beer is just way past its prime and corking it didnt help to preserve it. Dont think I could enjoy a whole bottle of this stuff but I wouldnt mind having a 2 ounce pour of it paired with some brownies or chocolate. It's a good conversation beer but I dont think I'd buy it. Glad to have received it in a BIF though.

2.64/5  rDev -23%

vintage 2003
11.2 oz corked bottle

Pours a used motor oil black with a little bit of brown around the edges. Despite a violent pour, the only thing it produces similar to a head is a thin creepy lace on top of parts of the liquid and clinging all around the inside perimeter of the glass. (Nothing to get excited about, this is understandable for a beer 7 years old.) Nose is a little sour with notes of dark fruit blended with alcohol and sadly a little too much soy sauce is present as well. Taste includes big burnt grain bitterness and a whole lot of sourness upfront that blends right into the piercing alcohol bite that finishes with a hint of soy sauce and is actually really salty. Along with the warmth in the back of the throat, there is a lingering taste of burnt grain bitterness left in the mouth after each sip. The medium feel of this beer is somewhat puzzling and disorienting because it has absolutely no carbonation. As far as drinkability goes, this is about as bad as it gets. Whether it was poorly handled, faulty in being sealed/packaged or just over the hill and past it's prime; I don't know. For what it cost me, it is not worth giving it another try if I am the one paying.

2.64/5  rDev -23%

2003 vintage. 11.2oz bottle with lengthy write-up on the "history" of the Imperial Russian Stout. The cork was sunken into the bottle neck and it took a solid ten minutes to lodge it loose with the help of a corkscrew (which broke), a screwdriver, and pliers.

A- A dissappointingly uneventful pour. No matter how vigorous the pour, no more head was created than if I was pouring water. The color of black coffee with only the slightest edge of light brown. Well below average.

S- Intense umami dominates all other aromas. Slight roast and an alcoholic burn add complexity. The soy sauce aroma is too intense to make this very enjoyable.

T- Bitter and acrid followed by a alcohol burn in the back of the throat and a slowly rising roasted barley aftertaste. Slight vanilla in the background. Very, very, difficult to seperate the mouthfeel from the taste in this case.

M- Completely flat and watery. Not a bubble to be found, and unlike other flat beers I've come across, there is no other aspect of the mouthfeel that can make up for the lack of carbonation. Bottom line, it could not get any worse.

D- The mouthfeel and intense soy sauce aroma and flavor make the beer nearly unpalatable. I would be willing to try a newer vintage of this beer, hoping that the carbonation would hold. I'm guessing the Tsar would be pissed.

Note: looking back through the reviews, it looks like this beer ages horribly. I'll make an effort to re-review with a newer vintage when I come across one.

3.81/5  rDev +11.1%

Yep, I'm one of the folks who likes this one.

Bottle is a 2003 vintage, the last imported to the US as far as I know. Like the Gale's Old Ale, these have a wine-style cork and are often stored upright in very dry (refrigerated) environments, which causes the cork to shrink and over-oxidization to destroy the beer.

This bottle has not died yet -- pour is completely headless, large bubbles cling to the sides from the agitation. Beer is opaque, black and slick, leaves wide legs on the glass when swirled. The smell is molasses, burnt sugar, and soy sauce oxidization -- taste is similar with the addition of a bitter roasty edge, and slight plum/prune notes. Oxidization sourness and almost a hint of salt. Mouthfeel is the big hit on this beer, slick and oily without a trace of carbonation.

I have a few more bottles from this case that I waxed down below the foil.. hopefully they hold up for a few years.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

A *huge* stout for sipping! Big and rich, with hint of char. Syrupy full-bodied mouth-feel with minimal carbonation. Roasty bitter grains and hops, with notes of sour wood, black licorice, and espresso.

For me this stout is a bit too big and the bitterness is too lingering unless accompanied by a couple of sweet brownies. ;-)

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%

Vintage 2003 Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout is a watery deep brown color with absolutely no head.

The aroma, very unfortunately, smells of burned cork and old tire rubber. Not particularly appetizing.

The taste is chocolate, but weak and, again, watery. Considerably better after warming, although still modest. Nothing else really stands out.

The mouth feel is barely medium bodied and carbonation is non existent.

At six bucks per 11 ounce bottle, thin and light on taste; drinkability is like the carbonation... it just ain't there.

Le Coq Impy is not horrible, but it's not worth it.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%

Vintage 2003. Cellar temp poured into my Brooklyn snifter.

A-Jet black. No head. barely any bubbles from pouring. Why did the bottle say caution contents under pressure.

S-chocolate covered esspresso. Port. Sweet alcohol. No hops.

T-Chocolate soaked in port. Slightly corked, but ok. Roasty bitter. Slightly tart. Chocolate covered espresso beans. As the beer warms, the hop bitterness comes out. Nice.

M-medium thick. A little carbonation would make this more drinkable. No alcohol heat.

D-This is an interesting beer. Different take on the imperial stout. Could it have had some carbonation? yes. That would have brought out more of the aroma.
This is a good beer for a winter night.

3.6/5  rDev +5%

Vintage 2003
Pours a molasses brown/black with a large bubble head. A sticky residue slides down the edges of the glass to indicate where this big black ooze has been.
Soy sauce and molasses are in the forefront without being salty.
Once again molasses is the primary profile with a tart plum like astringency. A very slight whiskey like character also makes an appearance with a hint of roasted bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is very silky but in a creepy way.
A classic beer that I was intimidated to try for a long time. Im glad to have finally encountered this old classic, its presence is still strongly felt in modern brewing.

Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout from Harvey & Son Ltd.