India Pale Ale | Davidson Brothers Restaurant & Brewery

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Davidson Brothers Restaurant & Brewery
New York, United States
davidsonbrothers.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by sponberg on 08-13-2002

Liked:
3.13/5
Alströms:

Worst excuse for an IPA I've ever had, besides my own home brewed IPA. I have told many a bartender not to have this beer on tap because it sucks!

1.12/5  rDev -64.2%

The color is the only redeeming quality: copper with a 2 finger head. The good news stops there. This beer is limp: watery texture with no body. As an "IPA" this is offensive; as just an ale, could almost be tolerable except it smells like the sticky floor of a dive bar: stale and pungent. The fact that they charge $10 a 6 pack is outrageous.
This tastes like a Budweiser attempt at and ipa.
Tips: add more hops, more body and do something about the smell. Or stop calling it and ipa. Remember we taste with our nose first and foremost.

1.18/5  rDev -62.3%

I sell craft beer and I am familiar with the English style IPA. This is one of the worst "craft" beers I have ever tasted. Couldn't even finish it. Tastes like they shoved a handful of rusty nails in a two month old English muffin, then left that in a pitcher of the worst out of code ESB you could find. This beer could make a train take a dirt road. If Nickelback had a flavor it would be this beer.

1.4/5  rDev -55.3%

1.44/5  rDev -54%

1.52/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I don't know what this beer was supposed to taste like, but it was awful. Light colored with very little head, the beer looked a little oily. I couldn't detect any hop flavor, and there was a bad tasting funkiness that seemed to permeate all Davidson beer. I didn't finish the beer, and wouldn't drink another.

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

Wow I am not even going to begin to break this down. This beer is just flat out terrible. It smells like a loaf of bread soaking in a very bad pitcher of beer. Flavor is sour with a hint of bitterness but just plain bad..The only thing I can say for Davidson Brothers at this point was this beer was not bottled by you it was bottled by shipyard brewing and hopefully they trashed it not you. I do not reccomend this beer to anyone, besides people who like budweiser because it might be slightly better than that.

Prost!!!

2.06/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Look - Poured a clear copper color with a finger of white head, a few rings of lacing.
Aroma - Floral, mineral-like, faint citrus rind.
Taste - Soapy bitterness up front, not as hoppy as the nose would suggest, mild citrus hop oils. Malt is thin and biscuity. There's a really odd grainy/cardboard flavor in here that makes the whole thing taste rather sloppy. I'm not sure if it's the yeast or what but the aftertaste is unlike any IPA I've had and not in a good way.
Feel - Light - Medium bodied, watery.

Overall - Remarkably bad.

2.07/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Their English brown is amazing so I decided to t this one too.
Poured from a bottle that was packaged by shipyard brewery several hundred miles away.
The nose struck me as borderline sour, a bit off and there was an ingredient in there that I couldn't quite put my hand on.
Nothing special here. No over the top hops, no floral bouquet. Nothing special really. This might be an entry level IPA for th casual beer drinker.

2.12/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Very little carbonation in this beer, litterly no head at all. Color is medium to dark caramel. Not much of an aroma from this beer. Smell sweet malt. It is a chewy feel and not a single hop aroma. This has no IPA characteristict that I am aware of. This is more like a home brew pale ale batch. Not impressed.

2.24/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

2.27/5  rDev -27.5%

Taste nothing like an IPA. Some sort of disguised lager...

2.49/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Davidson Brothers Brewing Company IPA. This is a new brewery for me, based out of Glens Falls, but this beer was contract brewed by Shipyard Brewing in Maine. Apparently they have a large brewpub in Glens Falls, so I'll have to check it out the next time I go up towards Lake George.

Anyway, this beer has a strong alcoholic smell upon opening it - almost like a barleywine beer might have. It pours very foamy straight up; I had to wait a few minutes for the head to settle before resuming. The first sip confirms the strong burn of alcohol (not listed on the bottle, but BA has it at only 5.90%) and lots of hops bitterness, but unfortunately not a lot more in terms of taste, other than a metallic finish that was not pleasant. Bottom line, there are a lot of other IPAs that are far better than this one. It cost me $10.99, as much as the Sculpin I bought at the same time, which is far superior.

India Pale Ale from Davidson Brothers Restaurant & Brewery