Will Power Pale Ale | Right Brain Brewery

Added by Deuane on 12-06-2008

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 119
Reviews by elNopalero:
4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Update: From a tall boy can

This pours a glorious golden-tan with a creamy cap of cloud.

There’s a light touch of orange on the aroma, like a candied-citrus note. It’s delicate but present.
Taste lightly bitter, touch of citrus hops and a pleasing yet mellow hop bite. At the beer store where I picked this up the salesperson said this was their easy-going everyday beer and I can’t help but agree. All around well done.

On tap:
This is a pale ale with a golden clear color and a light layer of foam. I get a light grassy aroma followed by some maltiness finsihing it out. The flavor is grassy, hoppy bitterness up front followed by a sharp hop bite and some biscuit malt to round it out.

3.24/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours from a 16 fl oz can with a slight haze. Golden-orange color with a nice off-white to white 2-inch, heavily pocketed head that eventually settles in at 1/8 inch. The nose is sweet, malty, and floral. Very light body! I am surprised at the lightness. Bright and light with some nice hoppy and citrus bitterness. The lingering is mostly bitter but has hints of malt. Would like more of the latter. Nice Belgian lace. Possible summer drink. The price point will make me hesitate to pick it up again.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tastes light, even for 4.2%. More bitter than aromatic, but really nice flavor overall. If this was available locally it would be in my fridge regularly.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

3.32/5  rDev -10.5%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I picked up a can of Right Brain's Will Power Pale Ale last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before so when I saw a couple cans on the shelf i just had to grab one and give it a try since I think Right Brain is pretty solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it was canned in early July. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like everything about how this can looks, the design is pretty nice and I think it's pretty eye catching, it caught my eye. It poured a hazy orange color that took on an orange/amber color that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking Pale Ale, but the lacing and head retention was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of sweet and pretty bready malts that have some doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes a slight buttery aroma followed by a lighter amount of citrus hops that go nicely with this beer and show up just enough. The aroma was pretty nice and I thought it was very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some very bready malt flavors with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a very slight buttery flavor followed by a light amount of hops that impart an even mixture of grassy and citrus hop aromas. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness with a bready and slightly fruity hop after taste with some lingering bitterness. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty true to style I enjoyed it.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish there was just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's been a while since I've had an English Pale Ale, but this was just how I remember some of the better ones of the style tasting and it had that slightly buttery aspect that I pick up in most English Pale Ales. This beer had decent drinkability, if i was in the mood to session some beers I could see myself drinking a few of these, but the flavor only really partly holds my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style this was, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly lower amount of carbonation, a little more carbonation would have helped it a little. I don't know if I would go back and buy a four pack, but I think I would order a pint of this if I was at a bar or restaurant that had it, I think it would go good with most food. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and if American Pale Ales are still too hoppy for you than this might be a good alternative. All in all i thought this was a pretty solid beer and it represented the style nicely, there's only a couple English Pale Ales that I like a little more. Nice work guys, this beer was solid.

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Will Power Pale Ale from Right Brain Brewery