Will Power Pale Ale | Right Brain Brewery

rightbrainbrewery.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Deuane on 12-06-2008

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

16 ounce can into pint glass, no canning date. Pours moderately hazy golden orange color with a 2 finger dense and fluffy off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of lemon zest, tangerine, orange peel, floral, grass, bread, light caramel, light pine, and floral earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with very well balanced hop and malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon zest, tangerine, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, bread, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, floral, grass, pine, bread, light caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of citrus/pine hops; with a moderate malt balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbontion and body; with a smooth, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with no warming present after the finish as expected of 4.2%. Overall this is a very nice session pale ale! Nice balance and robustness of hop and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to abanton for throwing this in as an extra in last week's trade, my first formal taste of Right Brain. Cracking this 16 oz. can to celebrate knocking down a wasp nest bigger than my head out of a tree just outside the door. Yes, I ran. Yes, I managed not to shriek like a four year old.

The pour is sehr frizzy, enough that I have to take a single pause to fit the can into my imperial pint glass. Clear, warm orange. Nose is close enough to clean, filtered air that I have to take several deep breaths to trap a few nanos of pale, bready malts deep in my sinuses. Hard to get less smelly than that.

WillPow!er Pale Ale turns my first dainty sip into a Viking gulp. Either I was really thirsty or this hit that spot on my tongue; a beer that begs to have been put in that Coors Light Shotgun Can that came & went a few years back. Oh, the taste? It aight. Plenty of malt- soaked-bread, thinned grasslands, bitterness so light it's really just -ness. LIght, airy, oh-so-drinkable.

Not much to this one, but hey, for a 4.9% English Pale Ale? Winner. Good beer, & a great bet for sitting around on the deck, Or with an arugula salad. Or after antagonizing a big ball of wasps. Whenever.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I picked up a can of Right Brain's Will Power Pale Ale last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before so when I saw a couple cans on the shelf i just had to grab one and give it a try since I think Right Brain is pretty solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it was canned in early July. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like everything about how this can looks, the design is pretty nice and I think it's pretty eye catching, it caught my eye. It poured a hazy orange color that took on an orange/amber color that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking Pale Ale, but the lacing and head retention was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of sweet and pretty bready malts that have some doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes a slight buttery aroma followed by a lighter amount of citrus hops that go nicely with this beer and show up just enough. The aroma was pretty nice and I thought it was very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some very bready malt flavors with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a very slight buttery flavor followed by a light amount of hops that impart an even mixture of grassy and citrus hop aromas. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness with a bready and slightly fruity hop after taste with some lingering bitterness. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty true to style I enjoyed it.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish there was just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's been a while since I've had an English Pale Ale, but this was just how I remember some of the better ones of the style tasting and it had that slightly buttery aspect that I pick up in most English Pale Ales. This beer had decent drinkability, if i was in the mood to session some beers I could see myself drinking a few of these, but the flavor only really partly holds my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style this was, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the slightly lower amount of carbonation, a little more carbonation would have helped it a little. I don't know if I would go back and buy a four pack, but I think I would order a pint of this if I was at a bar or restaurant that had it, I think it would go good with most food. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and if American Pale Ales are still too hoppy for you than this might be a good alternative. All in all i thought this was a pretty solid beer and it represented the style nicely, there's only a couple English Pale Ales that I like a little more. Nice work guys, this beer was solid.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

4.08/5  rDev +10%

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can a cloudy nectarine-orange color with two fingers of ivory colored head. Sheets of sticky lacing left behind.

Aroma of tangerine, light fruit and caramel malts.

Tasted of candied oranges and caramel malts. A light bitterness resonated with every sip.

Light-to-medium bodied and clean with a moderate carbonation.

An easy-drinking Pale from the folks at Right Brain.

4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Update: From a tall boy can

This pours a glorious golden-tan with a creamy cap of cloud.

There’s a light touch of orange on the aroma, like a candied-citrus note. It’s delicate but present.
Taste lightly bitter, touch of citrus hops and a pleasing yet mellow hop bite. At the beer store where I picked this up the salesperson said this was their easy-going everyday beer and I can’t help but agree. All around well done.

On tap:
This is a pale ale with a golden clear color and a light layer of foam. I get a light grassy aroma followed by some maltiness finsihing it out. The flavor is grassy, hoppy bitterness up front followed by a sharp hop bite and some biscuit malt to round it out.

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-Orange kissed golden yellow with a thin white head than held on and left spotty lace.

S-Light citrus hops and a bit of bready sweetness.

T-Well balanced sweet bready malt and citrus hops. Not as Tangy and popping as the dry hopped version.

M-Medium-light body with a nice crisp finsih. Light lingering hop bitterness.

D-Solid, decent session pale ale. A bit on the mild side but tasty enough to keep it from getting boring.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%