Igor Takes A Digger | Right Brain Brewery

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by DMarlinJ on 04-09-2013

Reviews by DMarlinJ:
4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is called an Imperial Brown Ale and for a brown it has more complexity than most. The pour gave a nice head that ended with a light ring. Rich dark brown color, looks good.

I am impressed with the smell. My nose is not that good but this has a great smell, rich and fruity, nutty and earthy. Very inviting.

Taste follows smell. This is very drinkable for me. I like the balance of malt and hops not sweet and not too bitter. Not lingering, clean finish

Feel is a bit thin and I am not sure I like the first impression of the carbonation but it's ok. It finishes a bit sticky but nice.

Overall I really like this one. It stands out for a brown ale with flavor and smell. I enjoyed all of the 1 pint 6 oz bottle. I will buy this again. I had picked up a CEO stout at Right Brain and enjoyed that also. I am pleased to see more offerings from Right Brain and will be tasting them
soon.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tulip glass out of a 22oz. Bottle.

L - Deep, dark brown with a nice head to start
S - Malts, malts, malts. Love the malty smell
T - Nuts, light coffee and chocolate. Good balance of the malts and hops
F - Lighter than other beers of this style that I've had. I could actually drink a second one without that heavy in the gut feeling.
O -I honesty tried this one with some trepidation. Traverse City breweries are generally very liberal with hops and fruits in there offerings, and I was expecting a hop explosion with Igor. IMO, Right Brain did it right with this one. Wish I bought more than one, definitely will be on the lookout for it again. I wonder how well it would cellar.

Great label. Going to keep it on a shelf in my bar as a reminder.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy deep reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of chocolate, toffee, caramel, molasses, toast, brown bread, biscuit, nuttiness, light roast, raisin, floral, and toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark malt notes; and good strength. Taste of chocolate, caramel, nuttiness, toast, toffee, brown bread, molasses, biscuit, light roast, raisin, floral, and toasted earthiness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, toast, toffee, nuttiness, brown bread, molasses, light roast, raisin, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of dark malt flavors; with zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an excellent imperial brown ale. All around great balance and complexity of dark malt flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the gravity. A very enjoyable offering.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Pours murky brown in color. The bottle foamed over. Very fizzy looking. Aroma of malts and tons of sugars, and some booze on the back end of the whiff. Too sweet with a tart finish. Some dark bread notes, but overall its mostly tart and off-putting with a boozy undertone. Thin body, with and amazingly flat mouthfeel considering how fizzy it looked when I poured it. I would try this again, just to compare and see if I have a bad bottle here or something, but this is not a beer I enjoyed very much.

Igor Takes A Digger from Right Brain Brewery